Should City School District have a Multiplier also

Jet Pride

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville and Alcoa being able to get Tuition kids is an advantage. That is a fact. But! The main reason both those teams are doing so well is because of their coaching staffs.

Alcoa hasn't always been this dominant. I remember years where they had losing records. On this run they have been on Jon Reid helped get it started by putting in the weight training. Getting Bryan Nix was huge also. Nix was a former Maryville player who played under Hammontree. Richard Gamble is a fine coach. Gary Rankin is a huge upgrade from Jon Reid. Rocky Riley and Gossett have been great additions to the Tornado staff.

As of Maryville I thought 30 years ago after Ted Wilson left Rebel football would never be the same. Maryville was darn good in the 70s. Between 1978 and 1998 Maryville didn't win no state titles. In matter of fact Maryville had several 5-5 seasons. Tim Hammontree got Maryville on the right track by bringing in Discipline and weight training. Hiring George Quarles was huge. Hammontree helped get it started but George Quarles helped elevate it. GQ hiring Jim Gaylor from Clinton was huge. George Quarles,Jim Gaylor and David Ellis are great,great football coaches. The other guys are really good also. Wouldn't trade Maryville's staff for anyone elses.

Totally agree. Problem is most schools can't afford or won't hire the necessary staff.

Just askin. Saw on another thread somebody mentioned boosters paying "stipends" to coaches. Is that legal?

macon county's quarter back club did that to the tune of around $40,000, maybe more.

must be legal. I can't find anything in the T$$AA bylaws about it. Did find that, if a program is using "non-faculty coaches", they can only have three assistants coaches in football. I'm assuming that means three non-faculty assistant coaches, not three assistant coaches total.

must be legal. I can't find anything in the T$$AA bylaws about it. Did find that, if a program is using "non-faculty coaches", they can only have three assistants coaches in football. I'm assuming that means three non-faculty assistant coaches, not three assistant coaches total.

smith county has around a dozen coaches, maybe more. idk if they are all school employees, but apparently the only criteria to be an assistant there is that you need to be able to distinquish the difference between a football and a cinder block, and to tell the truth i think they're pretty liberal with those results. :roflolk:

Edited by snoball5278

smith county has around a dozen coaches, maybe more. idk if they are all school employees, but apparently the only criteria to be an assistant there is that you need to be able to distinquish the difference between a football and a cinder block, and to tell the truth i think they're pretty liberal with those results. :roflolk:

If they ain't "faculty" and only 3 "non-faculty" allowed, they have to be >30 hour "employees".

Guess the toilets are clean and the grass stays cut. :roflol:

If they ain't "faculty" and only 3 "non-faculty" allowed, they have to be >30 hour "employees".

Guess the toilets are clean and the grass stays cut. :roflol:

funny story; coach/principal/czar/dear leader maynord cancelled the ag boys annual trip to the farm machinary show this year, for whatever reason, and several weeks later turnips started popping up on the football field. i'm sure that kept a few assistant coaches busy for a few days. :roflolk:

Edited by snoball5278

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to try and say what I think would be fair,as to the OOZ thang.Its gone on way to long.First off if you live in Alcoa or Maryville you can also go to either of the County schools free of charge,cause you pay property taxes to the city you live in and the county you live in.If you are zoned in the county and you want to go to either City school,all you need to do is pay the school what your property taxes would be in either maryville or Alcoa,but it should only count what your house is valued at,because some of these kids live on alot of acres.If you rent a house in the county.It should be on some type of sliding scale based on how much your rent is.When it comes down to Alcoa and Maryville swapping players.I think the only fair thing to do is move to that part of town.Any kid living outside of Blount County should have to pay whatever the average property tax in Alcoa or Maryville is.Blount county should not be in the equation,because you wont find kids going there from knoxville.Plus their parents pay taxes where they live.The county should not make money off of this,since they have no dog in the fight.They do not put money into either City School.I know some would pay more than others,but that is how it works out when you pay both city and county taxes anyway.Some pay more cause their house is worth more.It aint perfect by any standard,but on paper it would be fair.These kids should be able to be free to go to whatever school they want to,if they pay taxes to that school.

I am going to try and say what I think would be fair,as to the OOZ thang.Its gone on way to long.First off if you live in Alcoa or Maryville you can also go to either of the County schools free of charge,cause you pay property taxes to the city you live in and the county you live in.If you are zoned in the county and you want to go to either City school,all you need to do is pay the school what your property taxes would be in either maryville or Alcoa,but it should only count what your house is valued at,because some of these kids live on alot of acres.If you rent a house in the county.It should be on some type of sliding scale based on how much your rent is.When it comes down to Alcoa and Maryville swapping players.I think the only fair thing to do is move to that part of town.Any kid living outside of Blount County should have to pay whatever the average property tax in Alcoa or Maryville is.Blount county should not be in the equation,because you wont find kids going there from knoxville.Plus their parents pay taxes where they live.The county should not make money off of this,since they have no dog in the fight.They do not put money into either City School.I know some would pay more than others,but that is how it works out when you pay both city and county taxes anyway.Some pay more cause their house is worth more.It aint perfect by any standard,but on paper it would be fair.These kids should be able to be free to go to whatever school they want to,if they pay taxes to that school.

So let me see if I follow you, one must pay tuition equivalent to property taxes if one does not own a piece of property in the city, right? So should they also require those who rent property in the city to pay tuition of the same equivalent? I mean there are plenty of folks renting homes in both those towns that do not pay city taxes. And, if I don't have kids attending school can I get a tax rebate? Seems fair.

You guys have me confused. TSSAA told me I couldn't just own property in a zone I had to actually live in that zone.

He had me confused when he said the people who lived in Alcoa and Maryville paid property taxes in Blount County...I'm pretty sure not everyone who lives there owns property thus pay no property taxes.