Should City School District have a Multiplier also

Jet Pride

So let me see if I follow you, one must pay tuition equivalent to property taxes if one does not own a piece of property in the city, right? So should they also require those who rent property in the city to pay tuition of the same equivalent? I mean there are plenty of folks renting homes in both those towns that do not pay city taxes. And, if I don't have kids attending school can I get a tax rebate? Seems fair.

Now this is about the dumbest argument I've ever heard and I've heard some dumb ones. Even renters pay property taxes, maybe not directly, but it is included in the rent they pay. I sure hope you can come up with a better argument than this?

Oh and thanks for helping his argument. People that don't have kids at the school but live in the zone do have to pay taxes. Yet they let outsiders come in and reap the benefits of the taxes they are paying. How fair is this to them?

Edited by smeagle1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is about the dumbest argument I've ever heard and I've heard some dumb ones. Even renters pay property taxes, maybe not directly, but it is included in the rent they pay. I sure hope you can come up with a better argument than this?

Oh and thanks for helping his argument. People that don't have kids at the school but live in the zone do have to pay taxes. Yet they let outsiders come in and reap the benefits of the taxes they are paying. How fair is this to them?

Now is the arguement only applied to those ooz students who play football or ALL ooz students? I would think a talented QB would more than pay for his keep in his contributions to the athletic department's cash cow. I mean a winning team can generate a bit of cash for a financially strapped program.So the arguement could be made that ooz students who play sports actually contribute financially to their schools. Maybe ooz students should be screened to see whether they will be a drag on the school system's resources or can generate revenue...I mean colleges do

Edited by barb

What do these schools have in common: Greeneville, Alcoa, Maryville, Dobyns-Bennett, Science Hill, Tennessee High, Cleveland, Oak Ridge, Milan, Union City, Dyersburg. All have a rich history of consistently good football teams and all are city school systems that charge tuition to get into. These teams have a better W-L record against county schools than private schools have football. Maybe fairer to put an multiplier on city schools than on private schools in football. Looks to me that city school systems have unfair advantage.

Jet Pride, this is not true of Dyersburg ,Union City nor Milan charge tuition to enter their school systems..sorry to burst your bubble !

Edited by DHSFB64

Well let me clarify a few things.Yes you have to pay city and county taxes in blount county,even if you dont have property in the county.I live and own a home in Alcoa,and get a bill every year for city and then from county,wanting their money.I have no kids,but some of that revenue goes to the schools.Its a part of life so deal with it.Alcoa and Maryville are right in the middle of blount county so they want their cut too.Since I pay taxes to both.If I had kids I could send them to Alcoa,william blount or heritage,but not maryville,because I dont pay maryville city taxes on property.The amount I pay is close to the same amount to both alcoa city and blount county.If you live in Blount County,you only pay county taxes,but you do not get the services that the city provides.When I paid Tuition at Alcoa in 81 it was 200.00 a year.Yes alcoa has always been open zone and we use to get kids that went to county schools back then also.Its nothing new,but by the talk around here,it is made out to be.On another question about renters paying taxes.I lived in a Mobile Home park about 20 years ago.I owned my Home,but rented the lot.My first year there the park manager brought me a bill saying it was my part on property taxes.I told him it was not in the lease and that he should pay his own property taxes with the 150.00 a month I gave him to live there.He said I had to pay and I said take me to court.Never heard from him again and I lived there about 4 more years.

Well let me clarify a few things.Yes you have to pay city and county taxes in blount county,even if you dont have property in the county.I live and own a home in Alcoa,and get a bill every year for city and then from county,wanting their money.I have no kids,but some of that revenue goes to the schools.Its a part of life so deal with it.Alcoa and Maryville are right in the middle of blount county so they want their cut too.Since I pay taxes to both.If I had kids I could send them to Alcoa,william blount or heritage,but not maryville,because I dont pay maryville city taxes on property.The amount I pay is close to the same amount to both alcoa city and blount county.If you live in Blount County,you only pay county taxes,but you do not get the services that the city provides.When I paid Tuition at Alcoa in 81 it was 200.00 a year.Yes alcoa has always been open zone and we use to get kids that went to county schools back then also.Its nothing new,but by the talk around here,it is made out to be.On another question about renters paying taxes.I lived in a Mobile Home park about 20 years ago.I owned my Home,but rented the lot.My first year there the park manager brought me a bill saying it was my part on property taxes.I told him it was not in the lease and that he should pay his own property taxes with the 150.00 a month I gave him to live there.He said I had to pay and I said take me to court.Never heard from him again and I lived there about 4 more years.

I always thought it made more sense for counties to have a wheel tax for schools rather than putting the burden on property owners...I mean most everybody has a car.

While we are discussing it, the TSSAA should also include the enrollment of Coop programs to include the total enrollment of both schools combined. For instance, since MLK does not have a football program, those students can play football at Pearl-Cohn. The combined enrollment of both schools should be used to place Pearl-Cohn in the correct division.