Five Rutherford schools report TSSAA violations

CoachT

Rutherford County Schools is self-reporting violations of TSSAA rules by five of its six Class 6A high schools after principals determined their booster clubs paid supplements to football coaches over the last three years.

Rutherford County Schools Director Harry Gill Jr. notified TSSAA Executive Director Bernard Childress in a Wednesday memo about the system’s findings from an internal investigation.

Coaching supplements were made over the last few seasons dating to 2008-09 at Blackman, Riverdale, Oakland, Siegel and Smyrna high schools, according to Gill’s memo.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110804/SPORTS07/110804015/2072/SPORTS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said CASH only. I swear your can't find good help these days. We can't even run a simple kick back scam, how we supposed to run a top flight program. Back to the drawing board, I'm pissed! :popcorneater:

I told ya it was a mistake to let the rookie handle the cashflow, none of this would have happened on PBD's watch <_< .

Speaking of dropping the ball, 2priceless, if I have told you once, I have told you a thousand times, we never use the Oakland Patriots Paying off the Officiating Fund for personal use :ph34r:

Wow. This district really is the SEC of Tennessee High School football!!!

yes! Siegel is Vanderbilt and La Vergne is Kentucky.

Oakland will play the Tide, Riverdale can act as the Gators and Blackman will make the big pay off to the QB Dad and will act as Auburn. Smyrna will remain the Dogs take your pick GA. or Miss State.

Edited by Shag

Man oh man, OP....what are you doing telling all my secrets? You know I only pay off boys bball refs!

As for the above post, that is what perplexed me about the whole Riverdale thing. How in the world did they not go back and audit Rankin's days in power. Big money rolling through there and I bet that Rankin never paid a dime of taxes on all those "bonuses" to stay at Riverdale when he pulled his yearly interview at another school to get Christmas cash.

Coach T do you know if this is a TSSAA violation...In 08 and 09 the laws changed by the state of TN changed to where you had to make sure you 1099 these payments as in the past they never were they was just paid. also in those years is wehn they started making the booster clubs do more paperwork to show where everything is going.

on the DNJ someone posted that the baseball team should be audited also and I am happy to report that we was turned in by a parent that wasnt happy about a situation with his son so he turned us in resulting in a audit and they was very pleased with what we had done and passed with flying colors but we had several months to make changes and be compliant whereas football had weeks and to be honest there was no way to put all those changes in that quick...and to get all the paperwork straighten out that quick as well

Why is this a violation? Why can't a booster club pay a coach extra money for extra work? Is it a TSSAA violation when one coach really outworks a guy at another school who barely shows up for practice? I am not sure how you can deny a person money as a reward for a job well done, if it is documented and follows IRS guidelines.

yes! Siegel is Vanderbilt and La Vergne is Kentucky.

Oakland will play the Tide, Riverdale can act as the Gators and Blackman will make the big pay off to the QB Dad and will act as Auburn. Smyrna will remain the Dogs take your pick GA. or Miss State.

Well...Siegel and LaVergne were both really good in basketball last year...as was VU and UK...

Besides the "beer-gate" at Riverdale, was any of the rest of this anything out of the norm???