Blount Teams other than ALCOA / MARYVILLE

tpoole12

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/aug/13/the-calm-before-the-storm/

Looks like WB's number one's beat our backups and JV team (on a last minute interception). What really surprised me was that their coach left the Saunders kid in for so long. If that kid goes down WB might not win a single game. I guess the opportunity to win a game that didn't count was worth risking the health of your starters to this coach. Also didn't the same thing happen to us against Seymour a few years ago and those guys acted like they had won the Superbowl too.

Funny thing is Seymour got beat by Heritage the next week.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys and maybe Gals..

Sorry to start a thread and vanish but me and ATT has been struggggggling with my DSL service for a few days.

I'm back at work, (Shhhh!!!!), but thought I should reply.

Red Rebels, good to here from you. Hope you and yours are well. I will probably see you at the ball field soon.

Jake, I guess your about right. I too would like to see some changes. Time will tell..

Plumb, The "bell" goes to the winner of the Heritage / William Blount game each year. Probably since the Gov Man era at WB. Thats a LOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG time ago!!!!!

Horn Owl, Glad to hear from you my feathered friend. Like orngnblk said, I was speaking of the Greenback Cherokees, but since you brought it up, I may just have to make a run to McMinn County when you all are there. I always enjoyed going to McMinn for a ball game. Great facilities, great people and a good looking quarter horse!!! I'll be keeping tabs on the Owls. Try to keep Void, 2seem and BigHairyOwl off the field!! I haven't seen owl fanatic post for awhile. They may affiliated with the new school across the interstate now. See you on the threads.

Orngnblk, I support the Cherokees when I can. I know several people down that way. I actually played on that field as a Lanier Eagle. There as still a few of us left that remember the old Foothills Conference. Lanier, Greenback, Porter, Townsend, Walland and Friendsville. Didn't have to travel far in those days. I wish you all well and I will make a trip down this year for a game!

Thanks for the replies

tpoole12

The bell for being the perennial third best team in Blount County and unwilling to make it a true county championship.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/aug/13/the-calm-before-the-storm/

Looks like WB's number one's beat our backups and JV team (on a last minute interception). What really surprised me was that their coach left the Saunders kid in for so long. If that kid goes down WB might not win a single game. I guess the opportunity to win a game that didn't count was worth risking the health of your starters to this coach. Also didn't the same thing happen to us against Seymour a few years ago and those guys acted like they had won the Superbowl too.

This says a lot about the program at Maryville. GQ is not worried about affecting the confidence of his team if he gets beat in a jamboree, he plays it safe and gets a lot of kids on the field. On the other side, you have a coach who really tries to win the thing, even by leaving starters in for too long, because he feels like a win would be a boost to the confidence of his players for the starting of the season. Everyone who knows anything about football, knows that they beat the 3rd team, 4th team, and maybe even some of Maryville's water boys, but for where WB's program is right now, that is still a shot of confidence for them before the season starts. A coaches players usually will take on the personality of their coach, and I think it is awesome that GQ has so much confidence that he doesn't worry about what the press or the opponents say about all of these scrimmages and jamboree's, he uses them for his own purposes and his kids have taken on his personality and are unfazed by all of it also.

A Maryville fan should be flattered that the other teams act like they have won the superbowl when they beat even the 3rd team from Maryville in a meaningless jamboree. This is a testament to not only how good Maryville's program is now, but how long it has been that good. They are at the summit that everyone else is trying to get to.

This says a lot about the program at Maryville. GQ is not worried about affecting the confidence of his team if he gets beat in a jamboree, he plays it safe and gets a lot of kids on the field. On the other side, you have a coach who really tries to win the thing, even by leaving starters in for too long, because he feels like a win would be a boost to the confidence of his players for the starting of the season. Everyone who knows anything about football, knows that they beat the 3rd team, 4th team, and maybe even some of Maryville's water boys, but for where WB's program is right now, that is still a shot of confidence for them before the season starts. A coaches players usually will take on the personality of their coach, and I think it is awesome that GQ has so much confidence that he doesn't worry about what the press or the opponents say about all of these scrimmages and jamboree's, he uses them for his own purposes and his kids have taken on his personality and are unfazed by all of it also.

A Maryville fan should be flattered that the other teams act like they have won the superbowl when they beat even the 3rd team from Maryville in a meaningless jamboree. This is a testament to not only how good Maryville's program is now, but how long it has been that good. They are at the summit that everyone else is trying to get to.

I agree with you , someone should probably let Greeneville know this too , I believe they're getting ready to release the video

" We Played Murvul Close in a Scrimmage -2011" very soon !! lol :roflol: Maybe that's why they got it handed to them by DB .... a little overconfident maybe ? :thumb:

Edited by pepvol

:popcorneater: It is great how so many can praise mhs and give wbhs a hard time about leaving their starters in, when I have not read anything {yet} that makes me think that wb players or coaches have blown this out of proportion. The people that are saying that it is not a big deal seem to be the only ones talking about it. :popcorneater:

:popcorneater: It is great how so many can praise mhs and give wbhs a hard time about leaving their starters in, when I have not read anything {yet} that makes me think that wb players or coaches have blown this out of proportion. The people that are saying that it is not a big deal seem to be the only ones talking about it. :popcorneater:

I think your being a little oversensitive here , no one has made a big deal out of this ... hardly any talk at all about it .

Missed the jamboree, so I am relying on the reports. Congrats to the Govs for the big win. They do have a few players on that team that could play for anybody in the county. It is good to hear of their excitement and success. Hopefully, they can carry it into the season this year. Those 4 or 5 staying healthy will be a key.

I hope the Rebels get it straightened out this week before Webb arrives. Nobody wants to get beat by a bunch of spoiled rich kids (or at least that is what is said about Murvil). I suspect Murvil may be reading each others' clippings too much. It is time to get to work focus on the goals for the upcoming season. None of our past gold balls or college visits mean much to our first two opponents - they have their own. They are likely using all of our publicity as motivation and a tremendous opportunity for their teams. Starting off 0-2 is possible and should not be ignored. From what I hear, we need to quit making excuses about who is playing and focus on doing our job on the field. JMO

Starting off 0-2 is possible and should not be ignored. From what I hear, we need to quit making excuses about who is playing and focus on doing our job on the field. JMO

No excuses frum me strongex..tham yung-uns need two finish those drives agin Will-Yum Blunts furst teem D inside tha 10.... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Well if u think thats bad Heritage's best and only real player had 17 carries in the quarter against Alcoa..smh....

2 drives is what the wb qb played,same as oggs did for alcoa, so it wasnt that bad..IMO. A team like WB needs something like this(SAD),i dont think they really know that it was mostly JV that they played against.Meeting later this season will be a little bit different...

Night and Day !!!!

Missed the jamboree, so I am relying on the reports. Congrats to the Govs for the big win. They do have a few players on that team that could play for anybody in the county. It is good to hear of their excitement and success. Hopefully, they can carry it into the season this year. Those 4 or 5 staying healthy will be a key.

I hope the Rebels get it straightened out this week before Webb arrives. Nobody wants to get beat by a bunch of spoiled rich kids (or at least that is what is said about Murvil). I suspect Murvil may be reading each others' clippings too much. It is time to get to work focus on the goals for the upcoming season. None of our past gold balls or college visits mean much to our first two opponents - they have their own. They are likely using all of our publicity as motivation and a tremendous opportunity for their teams. Starting off 0-2 is possible and should not be ignored. From what I hear, we need to quit making excuses about who is playing and focus on doing our job on the field. JMO

You seem to be reading too much yourself. I will tell you one thing there is focus and I have not heard any of the MARYVILLE players talking trash but they are chompin' at the bit... watch out for this junior class they will hit you in the mouth. Lay in wait.......................GO REBELS!!!!!