who is the best current 3a Coach?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Receivers/QB/Passing game Coach: Rusty Bradley, Christian Academy of Knoxville (CAK). He was coaching a spread formation offense blended with a West Coast passing attack well before it was popular with area high schools. He is absolutely meticulous about the way the receivers release off the LOS, run their routes, which foot they cut off, their hand position, to reading the coverage they are facing. Lack of doing all of those things properly results in less playing time for that player. The QB's watch hours and hours and hours of film and are instructed in-depth, much like college QB's are coached. They are instructed not only on the particulars of reading various defenses, but drilled on their reads being the correct read. Ex: a completion for 10 yards may be scrutinized for making the wrong read because there may have been a better receiver choice that would have resulted in a bigger gain or score. The QB's at CAK even call the blocking scheme for the OL. You have to be TOTALLY committed to play receiver or QB at CAK. Rusty was a grad assistant at a variety of colleges (LA Tech, Colorado, Indiana) before committing to coaching HS football. He was offered a job last year at Carson Newman College to be the passing game coordinator but he declined in order to stay at the high school level, which he loves.

Best OL Coach: Mark Bradley, CAK. I must clarify that, best Pass Blocking Coach. I have no idea if he can coach run blocking because CAK passes app.90% of the time, no kidding. But he can "make lemonade out of lemons". Not to say he hasn't had some very good offensive linemen, but some of them possessed less than desirable skills and size, yet he coaches them up to a point of performance that surprises even the players parents. He, like his son Rusty, is meticulous about fundamentals such as stance, foot work, and hand placement. He has a great assistant in Jarvis Reado, who played on the 1998 UT National Championship team. Mark has coached over 30 years, most of the time spent with D1 colleges, including coaching he offensive line for 10 years at UT including the national championship team.

As a general rule among the better coaches, success is based on the talent available to each coach. When 2 good coaches meet barring weather, etc. talent usually prevails. So the open systems with good coaches would naturally have an advantage.

At present its Rankin with a proven recored of doing so..also CAK coach and Milan's Jeff Morris have proven themselves yearly but come up short to Rankin and Alcoa ..the open zone helps Rankin

Take Rankin out of the football factory and put him coaching a team where the O-line weighs

210lb average, the D-line about the same, your kicker and punter are the same kid and he's

not that good....etc...etc....and lets see how far he can take a team in 3A. (EVERY YEAR)

In case no one's seen Alcoa play, there not that exciting. There just bigger and faster than

everyone else. When was the last time he had to come up with a play to win a game?

or had to fake a field goal or go for two when you needed it.

Alcoa is the best team in 3A hands down, but the best coach in 3A? I don't think so.

OK all you twister fans give me the one million and one reasons why you think he is.

Take Rankin out of the football factory and put him coaching a team where the O-line weighs

210lb average, the D-line about the same, your kicker and punter are the same kid and he's

not that good....etc...etc....and lets see how far he can take a team in 3A. (EVERY YEAR)

In case no one's seen Alcoa play, there not that exciting. There just bigger and faster than

everyone else. When was the last time he had to come up with a play to win a game?

Alcoa is the best team in 3A hands down, but the best coach in 3A? I don't think so.

OK all you twister fans give me the one million and one reasons why you think he is.

I suppose Riverdale was always better than everyone they played too huh? :roflol:

Wow....Alcoa is not exciting? You haven’t seen them play very often. Alcoa always has athletes that are capable of big plays. As for Rankin being the best, well that’s anyone opinion, however to discredit him because Alcoa kids work hard to get bigger and stronger sounds a little ridiculous. He has had a big part of the improvement in the weight program. He has instilled a consistent discipline into the kids. As for the ability to make a big call or win a game, I guess you missed Vee Hambricks run to win the game in the closing moments of the Maryville game last year. BTW Maryville has a pretty solid program and tradition in case you haven’t heard of them.

2010 vs Maryville, 4th and 8 down by 3 with I think a minute and change to go in the biggest ball game in the state.

2006 vs McCallie, hook and ladder play (to Shiverdecker I believe) to give the Tornadoes a 24-21 win.

2010 vs CAK (Playoffs) 14-3 win for Tornadoes which was an absolute DOG FIGHT on both sides of the ball. Especially after the teams combined for 83 points just 2 weeks before.

Any questions?

2010 vs Maryville, 4th and 8 down by 3 with I think a minute and change to go in the biggest ball game in the state.

2006 vs McCallie, hook and ladder play (to Shiverdecker I believe) to give the Tornadoes a 24-21 win.

2010 vs CAK (Playoffs) 14-3 win for Tornadoes which was an absolute DOG FIGHT on both sides of the ball. Especially after the teams combined for 83 points just 2 weeks before.

Any questions?

9 state titles speaks for itself. 5 at Alcoa, and 4 at Riverdale if i am not mistaking? And to the earlier poster talking about Riverdale. Yes, generally there teams were better then their competition. But, teams aren't just better overnight. Their is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes then just theg ame in itself. Like weight training, conditioning, game filming etc. Rankin's record speaks for itself.

Edited by SweetScience

9 state titles speaks for itself. 5 at Alcoa, and 4 at Riverdale if i am not mistaking? And to the earlier poster talking about Riverdale. Yes, generally there teams were better then their competition. But, teams aren't just better overnight. Their is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes then just theg ame in itself. Like weight training, conditioning, game filming etc. Rankin's record speaks for itself.

I agree. People also assume that Alcoa has always been some powerful juggernaut that has just run over teams forever. Yes in the past few years we've been spectacular but look at some of the teams in the 90s and 80s. Some decent records and some very poor ones. Some over achieving teams and some under achieving teams. If we had Gary Rankin as Alcoa head coach since say 1990, I think we could have put at least 3 possibly 4 more state titles in the books. (1993, 1998, 2001) just off the top of my head. (Not discrediting any of those other coaches of those teams)