MBA vs. Trinity

Custer

Well buddy you will not see Ensworth get whipped anytime soon. And 2 years in a row they have had an out of state power cancel on them. That is why they only played 9 reg. season games last year.

I am sorry that your team is not as good as Ensworth. People like to win and E wins. They win the right way.

Shakenthefat---- Losing by 40 points does not make you a leader, brave yes.......leader no. Leaders beat the teams in their conference and win championships.

And shame on you RedRobin........picking Baylor?? They returned a lot of starters but lost 75% of their offense in Jacob Huesman. Have some faith in your Tigers.

BGA is probably the 2nd best team behind Ensworth right now. Followed by Baylor.

MBA and BA embarrassed D2AA Tennessee football the past 2 weeks. I hope they can use that humiliation as motivation but they are not in the same class as Ensworth, BGA and Baylor right now.

It's bombast like this that has changed these boards over the past 3-5 years. There was a time when mature people exchanged well-considered opinions, as well as the occasional friendly barb. Then the children found the board, and it's been downhill ever since. It actually reached a point a couple of years ago where CoachT stepped in and shut down an MBA-Ensworth thread. The students from both schools were equally disgraceful.

Over the last two weeks BA and MBA have both played one of the top teams in the country. In years past, you'd check in every 30 mins to see what else had been said, with tons of long-time posters and lots of insight. Now? Crickets.

The most offensive aspect of your post is calling RedRobin's opinion that Baylor is the team to beat "shameful." How, pray tell? It's an opinion. I don't know what he bases his opinion on, I don't know if he's right or not, I don't know anything at all about him/her. He or she may have bad data, may improperly weigh factors, or is possibly on a day release program from Moccasin Bend. Or he may be right...who knows? We're 2 games into the season. But whatever the final judgement on this prediction is, there's no way you can call it shameful.

One last thought, given the general tone of your post (addressing people in writing as "Buddy," as if we were talking in a bar where you could be beaten for wearing shoes? It's just not the done thing). If EHS is a successful football program in 2105, it will owe a great deal to the architect and first head coach, Ricky Bowers. Ricky's an MBA man.

The success of MBA's football program owes nothing to anyone from Ensworth.

I really miss the posters from BA.

Shakenthefat---- Losing by 40 points does not make you a leader, brave yes.......leader no. Leaders beat the teams in their conference and win championships.

So Newby, your definition of bravery is "losing by 40 points" to a out of state powerhouse. Bravery is playing a topped ranked national team to the best of you ability, no matter how tough.

Can't wait for that EHS vs Raleigh-Egypt game.

Riverdale beats Brighton 49-6, then Brighton beats R-E 49-0.

Outstanding Bravery on EHS's part scheduling that game. Maybe the middle school can venture down Hwy 100 to play R-E so the varsity boys can enjoy the natatorium.

You define leadership as beating conference opponents and winning championships.

TN State Championships

BA 10

MBA 9

EHS 1 (lack of leadership?)

http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetTheRecord.cfm

Leaders in the philosophy of playing in-state or out-of-state powerhouse teams are MBA and BA, no matter what the score is. EHS should start right now and schedule one next year, it might hurt but they will be a better team.

Edited by shakinthefat

Well buddy you will not see Ensworth get whipped anytime soon. And 2 years in a row they have had an out of state power cancel on them. That is why they only played 9 reg. season games last year.

I am sorry that your team is not as good as Ensworth. People like to win and E wins. They win the right way.

And shame on you RedRobin........picking Baylor?? They returned a lot of starters but lost 75% of their offense in Jacob Huesman. Have some faith in your Tigers.

BGA is probably the 2nd best team behind Ensworth right now. Followed by Baylor.

MBA and BA embarrassed D2AA Tennessee football the past 2 weeks. I hope they can use that humiliation as motivation but they are not in the same class as Ensworth, BGA and Baylor right now.

They win the right way??? get real man. You are out to lunch. EHS has more "scholarship" players than you can shake a stick at. They have to pay up big time just to fill a team. I love the comment that one EHS official has said..."they just show up on our doorstep." Come on....at least be honest. It is the best team HCA money can buy. And you might want to look up the word class...you won't see Ensworth next to it.

They win the right way??? get real man. You are out to lunch. EHS has more "scholarship" players than you can shake a stick at. They have to pay up big time just to fill a team. I love the comment that one EHS official has said..."they just show up on our doorstep." Come on....at least be honest. It is the best team HCA money can buy. And you might want to look up the word class...you won't see Ensworth next to it.

Are you the athlete, the gentleman or the scholar????

Didn't think so.

So Newby, your definition of bravery is "losing by 40 points" to a out of state powerhouse. Bravery is playing a topped ranked national team to the best of you ability, no matter how tough.

Can't wait for that EHS vs Raleigh-Egypt game.

Riverdale beats Brighton 49-6, then Brighton beats R-E 49-0.

Outstanding Bravery on EHS's part scheduling that game. Maybe the middle school can venture down Hwy 100 to play R-E so the varsity boys can enjoy the natatorium.

You define leadership as beating conference opponents and winning championships.

TN State Championships

BA 10

MBA 9

EHS 1 (lack of leadership?)

http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetTheRecord.cfm

Leaders in the philosophy of playing in-state or out-of-state powerhouse teams are MBA and BA, no matter what the score is. EHS should start right now and schedule one next year, it might hurt but they will be a better team.

You probably already know this, but in case you don't: TSSAA football schedules are for two-years; next year will be a mirror image of this year for all in-state games. Ensworth had a home-and-home scheduled with Tuscola from North Carolina for 2009 and 2010. For "financial reasons" (which I believe meant travel expenses), Tuscola cancelled shortly before the start of the 2009 season, leaving Ensworth with only 9 games for each of those years. They were not hurting for competition either of those years, however, since they had 6A powers Oakland and Smyrna on the schedule each year. Not sure if you meant to imply that Ensworth has had weak non-district schedules, but if so, you are dead wrong.

One D2-AA state championship in 4 years of varsity football also ain't all that bad. Record against "conference opponents" during those 4 years (including playoffs) is 28-5.

Not sure what exactly lead to the R-E game this year (I am shocked and amazed that a Memphis public school is willing/able to travel to Middle Tennessee for a football game), but I do not understand why you choose to poke fun at them (or at Ensworth for scheduling them) - it looks to me that not all of the non-region games on the schedule for BA and MBA are on par with Trinity, but I will leave it up to their coaching staff as to who they choose to play, knowing that I will get to see them each play against Ensworth at least once each season.

Edited by RedRobin

In spirit of the topic.....While certainly unpleased with the outcome, to say MBA was an embarrassing representative of TN football would be comepletely untrue. MBA's offensive game plan was exceptional and should have tallied 21 pts in the first half against the KY powerhouse. MBA had wide open receivers on many occasions that were not due to 'blown coverages' but due to the fact that Trinity's safety's played at 8 to 10 yrd depths and were very aggressive on the run which made them suspect to the play action pass. MBA showed a decent ability to run the ball against an extremely talented D-line front. The refs did help set a "not in our house" precedent early in the game (mainly a few cheap shot calls or lack thereof)and it appeared that some of the Big Red players were intimidated by the antics. MBA recovers an on-side kick, and after discussion, ruled to be touched before it traveled 10 yrds, although no flag was visible anywhere on the field. MBA also drew a Trinity player offsides on a punt with a long snap count that would have resulted in a 1st down and kept that drive going for the moment. After a 'no call' on a dislodged pass, fumble, TD? you could feel the tide turning, but slowly. The MBA players that remined on the field played the remainder of the game up until mid-way 4th quarter with intensity and never backed down from Trinity. MBA did look confused up front on offense but you had to see the stunts Trinity ran and the talent running them. I was most displeased with the 3rd tier of defense but for now will give the 'benefit of the doubt' simply, again, because of the talent level. MBA's kicking game looked better than average and it's coverage proved worthy. Overall, I give the Big Red a solid C+ against a team that will be unparalleled in it's schedule this year. MBA had the talent to play with Trinity. I am not sure it could sustain the intensity for a full 4 quarters in which T of L, in all appearances, could. I am sure, minus a few early calls, add a few hearts, the final score would show a more narrow margin of victory for the Rocks. So not to be confused, I am NOT saying the refs blew the game for MBA. Anyone that follows HS sports does know the 'tone' can effect the way the game is played. Win or lose, I was proud of the way MBA conducted itself on the field Friday night. If osmosis could spread the swagger some of the players displayed last Friday night then the rest of the season should prove exciting. It's early and I am sure by years end the "cream will rise to the top" on the Big Red's roster and should make for another interesting conclusion to DII football. Good Luck to all and God Bless!

You probably already know this, but in case you don't: TSSAA football schedules are for two-years; next year will be a mirror image of this year for all in-state games. Ensworth had a home-and-home scheduled with Tuscola from North Carolina for 2009 and 2010. For "financial reasons" (which I believe meant travel expenses), Tuscola cancelled shortly before the start of the 2009 season, leaving Ensworth with only 9 games for each of those years. They were not hurting for competition either of those years, however, since they had 6A powers Oakland and Smyrna on the schedule each year. Not sure if you meant to imply that Ensworth has had weak non-district schedules, but if so, you are dead wrong.

One D2-AA state championship in 4 years of varsity football also ain't all that bad. Record against "conference opponents" during those 4 years (including playoffs) is 28-5.

Not sure what exactly lead to the R-E game this year (I am shocked and amazed that a Memphis public school is willing/able to travel to Middle Tennessee for a football game), but I do not understand why you choose to poke fun at them (or at Ensworth for scheduling them) - it looks to me that not all of the non-region games on the schedule for BA and MBA are on par with Trinity, but I will leave it up to their coaching staff as to who they choose to play, knowing that I will get to see them each play against Ensworth at least once each season.

Say what you will about Bowers, he's never shied away from anybody.

Ummm...yeah...You've only been here a couple of weeks, but if you scroll back a few threads (not that many, actually) you'll see that we (as in MBA) had a minor issue with the TSSAA a few months back where a player received a cashiers check from the head coach. I think we may have lost the moral high ground on this one.

I've always taken offense at the casual and frequent accusations of impropriety by the Div II schools. I've frequently written that I'd be delighted to condemn a school for recruiting, etc, as soon as someone produced some evidence. We've produced the evidence ourselves. Throwing stones at Ensworth doesn't make us look any better.

Trinity's average margin of victory for 2010 was 31 pts, scoring an average of 41 ppg to their opponents 10 ppg. This schedule included Cincinnati Elder and St. Xavier of Cinn, in which both games held them way below the above mentioned average. A close game against Bowling Green H.S. also lowered the average in a 14-12 victory. The average margin of victory in the playoffs was 40 ppg to 7 ppg. They won the State Championship 38-0. All wins vs 6A schools or teams that play in the Super Power League. They have an enrollment of 1400 students and 1st dibs on any football player within 30 miles of the school. Put your 3 best athletes on the field from Ensworth, MBA, and BA and you'll have Trinity.(I know that equals nine, but Trinity was not superb at all positions) Losing can instill many attributes, one of which can be humbleness. BA, and MBA both can be better teams for playing this game. It just depends on the lesson taught.

Say what you will about Bowers, he's never shied away from anybody.

shakinthefat may also fail to realize that Bowers (Ensworth's athletics director and head football coach) was the head coach at MBA for 3 of its football state championships (as well as 3 b-ball state championships) and was on the coaching staff at BA for 3 of their football state championships. To the extent that shakinthefat wants to define "leadership" as "beating conference opponents and winning championships", Bowers has few peers.

Edited by RedRobin

I think we need to stay on the topic of the game that is posted. It was a mixed night for MBA that started well but ended in a massacre. Trinity beat MBA at every level of the game and the MBA defense got shattered by both the run and passing games. The Trinity QB was never touched. The Trinity offense was stopped only twice and kicked two field goals of less than 20 yards. The MBA defense could not get off the field and the mercy clock did not kick in until four or so minutes were left in the game. The score could have been 56- maybe 35 but it was not and that sums it up. Coulda or woulda does not count.

MBA also got manhandled physically on the line on both sides of the ball. The early loss of 3 or 4 players changed the game- they may be looking at 3 ACL tears and three surgeries this week. The only bright spots were the MBA passing game and the offensive play calling. There were some good individual efforts from a few players and the team did not quit which made it at least bearable. The whipping will make the team better or will set the stage for the remainder of the year. The question will be answered Friday night with BA.

I think we need to stay on the topic of the game that is posted. It was a mixed night for MBA that started well but ended in a massacre. Trinity beat MBA at every level of the game and the MBA defense got shattered by both the run and passing games. The Trinity QB was never touched. The Trinity offense was stopped only twice and kicked two field goals of less than 20 yards. The MBA defense could not get off the field and the mercy clock did not kick in until four or so minutes were left in the game. The score could have been 56- maybe 35 but it was not and that sums it up. Coulda or woulda does not count.

MBA also got manhandled physically on the line on both sides of the ball. The early loss of 3 or 4 players changed the game- they may be looking at 3 ACL tears and three surgeries this week. The only bright spots were the MBA passing game and the offensive play calling. There were some good individual efforts from a few players and the team did not quit which made it at least bearable. The whipping will make the team better or will set the stage for the remainder of the year. The question will be answered Friday night with BA.

The only bright spots were the passing game? was the paper correct? 10 of 24 and 2 int's? Sounds to me like all facets of the game were tested.

There is no shame in getting beat by a better opponent. The Red will come back this week. It's a long season.