Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Man, it's high school football time in Tennessee! There are so many talented D-1 caliber players in the Memphis area, it's virtually impossible to see them all. Week 0 proved to be exciting and eye opening. Who knew that White Station would lay the wood in Ridgeway the way that they did? Southwind vs East was a shootout!

Well ... it's Week 1 this weekend and those who decided not to open the season early are now starting to get underway. I've selected 8 games this week as 'Big Games'. Let's get started, shall we?

Big Games in Memphis - Week 1

1.) Arlinton vs (3), [9 - 6A] White Station (CoachtT says game @ WS, TSSAA says game @ Arlington)

2.) East @ (6) Briarcrest

3.) (2), [5 - D2] CBHS @ (10) Germantown

4.) (9) , [7 - 5A] Craigmont @ Blount, AL

5.) (11) St. George @ [9 - D2] ECS

6.) (1) , [5 - 6A] Whitehaven @ [7 - 4A] Fairley (J.P. Freeman)

7.) Kirby @ Millington

8.) (8), [9 - 5A] Ridgeway @ Skyline, TX

Numbers in parenthesees () by a school's name is their Week 1, Commercial Appeal, Dandy Dozen position.

Numbers in brackets [] by a school's name is their Week 1, Tennessee AP Poll position - classification.

My selections :

Big Game No. 1) Arlington vs (3), [9 - 6A] White Station

Arlington lost last week to Murphreesboro Oakland by a score of 17-27. Oakland has a history of being a high caliber team, year in and year out. White Station beat Ridgeway last week 34-14. That shocked quite a few people, including myself. RW was touted to be the preseason favorite with four of their players being preseason D-1 commitments. We don't really know if RW was overhyped or if White Station has returned close to their 2009 state champion form. Even if WS has returned to their former days ... RW was still expected to compete better then what they did. What does that say about the Arlington/White Station game? Well ... it has me leaning to towards White Station winning this games. This will be another loss for Arlington in my opinion ... but it will be against another quality opponent. The question will remain for Arlington after this second consecutive loss ... will they be ready for prime time at the end of the season, or will this crush their phsyce to the point they throw in the towel for the rest of the season. I'm thinking it will make them that much more stronger and they will be battle tested come the post season.

Arlington 14 ... White Station 35

Big Game No. 2) East @ Briercrest

Briercrest defeated Overton last week 33-6. East defeated Southwind 41-33. Briercrest played a team that was more inferior to it's level of competativeness compared to the type of competative team East defeated. The tight, back and forth game between SW and East had to better prepare East for this weekend then did the game BC played against Overton. I'm leaning towards East as a result. I think this game will be close in score.

East 28 - Briercrest 24

Big Game No. 3) (2), [5 - D2] CBHS @ (10) Germantown

CBHS won it's first game of the season and beating a very good Wooddale team by a score of 28-14. That defense had to face the best RB in the city ... and possibly the state in Jovon Robinson. Germantown is playing their 1st game of the season, and they have a highly touted RB by the name of Shatavious Lowe who rushed for 1800 yards last year. He's not the only talented RB at G-town, but he's the showhorse. G-town has home field, and that counts for something. I'm leaning towards CBH .... German ... Christian Broth ... G-tow ... oh shoots ... eenie, meenie, mienie, moe ... sigh. Gulp. Errrrrr .... ummmmmmmm. (flips a coin)

CBHS 14 - Germantown 17 ... :popcorneater:

Big Game No. 4) (9), [7 - 5A] Craigmont @ Blount, AL

This one is easy to pick. Craigmint wins. I can just be a homer in this game because I know nothing about the opponent, and I don't care to know. I'm pulling out my homer card on this one.

Craigmont 24 - Blount, AL 21

Big Game No. 5) (11) St. George @ [9 - D2] ECS

This is ECS first game of the season. St. George beat FRA last week, 21-16. I know very little about either, except for the fact that Coach Netherland is no longer @ St. George ... he's now at Lausanne starting their football program. I'm going with the home team in this one.

St. George 17 - ECS 24

Big Game No. 6) (1), [5 - 6A] Whitehaven @ [7 - 4A] Fairley (J.P. Freeman)

This is a neighborhood rivalry game. Throw stats and all of that other stuff out of the window. However, the stats are as follows. Whitehaven beat Hillcrest last week 53-0 ... and that was before halftime. As a matter of fact, the rest of the game was cancled due to lightning. Whitehaven is a 6A. Hillcrest is a 4A team that had a winning season last year and lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. Fairley defeated Hamiliton last week by a score of 20-6. Hamilton is a 5A program and Fairley is 4A. Fairley, however, lost their Sr. RB to a season ending injury! Ouch! Even without the loss, I expect Whitehaven to win this game.

Whitehaven 28 - Fairley 7

Big Game No. 7) Kirby @ Millington

This is the first game for both teams. Last year Kirby was 2-8. Millington was 4-6. Both teams expected to rebound this year. The winner has a new lease on life. Millington has homefield advantage. That will be big in a game like this.

Kirby 21 - Millington 28

Big game No. 8) (8), [9 - 5A] Ridgeway @ Skyline, TX

Ridgeway had it's head handed to them on a platter last week by White Station by a score of 14-34. Ridgeway can't afford another meltdown. I'm picking RW, because I'm selecting to use my homer card once again. RW ... don't let me down!

Ridgeway 28 - Skyline 21

That's it for me. You guys know what to do!

Edited by kwc

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craigmont gets blasted by Blount! Blount has been an average team the past two years, but before that they won four of the five State Championships. Plus, Alabama football is just better overall than Tennessee football and everyone knows that Craigmont is a one trick pony--Sam Craft.

Ridgeway will be embarassed by Skyline! I am pretty sure that everyone now realizes how overrated that team is and the Ridgeway defense is just bad. They must have graduated most of the defense from last season, they are a shell of their former self on defense.

Arlington gets beat by White Station. Arlington lost too much last year off a slightly better than average team.

Craigmont gets beat by Blount Ala. Craigmont lost too much last year off a better than average team who got out coached by a 5-5 team. (They do have a good QB though).

Kirby gets beat by Millington. Kirby is big and has some talent but they will be outcoached and outplayed by a hungry Millington team looking to redeem themselves.

WS-31/Arl-9

Bcrest-34/East-20

Blount-31/Cmont-18

Gtown-24/CBHS-23

ECS-28/St.G-10

Whitehaven-53/Fairley-14

Skyline-31/Rway-22

I attended the CBHS/Wooddale game last week. Though the better team won, I was more dissappointed about Woodale, than I was impressed with CBHS. CBHS has some speed in the offensive and defensive backfields this year. But up front they were small, given the size CBHS usually has, and seemingly young.

WS-31/Arl-9

Bcrest-34/East-20

Blount-31/Cmont-18

Gtown-24/CBHS-23

ECS-28/St.G-10

Whitehaven-53/Fairley-14

Skyline-31/Rway-22

I attended the CBHS/Wooddale game last week. Though the better team won, I was more dissappointed about Woodale, than I was impressed with CBHS. CBHS has some speed in the offensive and defensive backfields this year. But up front they were small, given the size CBHS usually has, and seemingly young.

Fourthree, how much of your dissappointment do you think could have been attributed to the coaching change @ WD?

Man, it's high school football time in Tennessee! There are so many talented D-1 caliber players in the Memphis area, it's virtually impossible to see them all. Week 0 proved to be exciting and eye opening. Who knew that White Station would lay the wood in Ridgeway the way that they did? Southwind vs East was a shootout!

Well ... it's Week 1 this weekend and those who decided not to open the season early are now starting to get underway. I've selected 8 games this week as 'Big Games'. Let's get started, shall we?

Big Games in Memphis - Week 1

East 28 - Briercrest 24

St. George 17 - ECS 24

Kirby 21 - Millington 28

Ridgeway 28 - Skyline 21

WS 28 -- Arl 14 ...... WS is out to prove its mettle, once again. Arlington is obviously waaaay down!

BC 33 -- East 26 .......... Most exciting game of the night!! East's defense is still too porous.

CBHS 17 -- Gtwn 13 ........ Another close, low-scoring contest between these two teams.

Blount 21 -- Crgmt 12 ... My heart says Craigmont. My brain says to pick the Alabama team.

ECS 27 -- St.Geo 17 ........... My gut says that ECS is likely the tougher team.

Whthvn 40 -- Fairley 12 ..... When has Fairley EVER beaten Whitehaven....It will not happen tonight!

Mill 28 -- Kirby 12 ........... Kirby's football program is still in shambles.

Skyline, TX 35 -- RW 20 ..... Skyline's QB will torch RW's secondary. RW will bust some long TD runs.

The only game I can comment on is Germantown vs. CBHS. Man, what an exciting game. CBHS has 2 good rb's, I give the edge to the younger guy as he appears a tad stronger. But holy cow, that rb for G'town can absolutely fly. Problem is G'town runs him in the ground, he appears to be all they have. I believe he had over 350 yds in this game.

East 28 - Briercrest 24

St. George 17 - ECS 24

Kirby 21 - Millington 28

Ridgeway 28 - Skyline 21

I missed the Arlington / WS game.

I got the East game correct, and I was pretty close on the score.

I missed the CBHS/G-town game. I have to admit, score surprised me.

I missed the Craigmont game as well ... and I thought the CBHS/G-town score was high!

I got the St. George/ECS game right.

I also got the Whitehaven game right.

I got the Millington game right ... but boy did I miss the score!

I missed the Ridgeway game ... badly!

Oh well ... I went 4-4 again.