Big Games in Memphis

kwc

1) Millington @ Brighton: Brighton 28 - Millington 20

2) East @ MUS: East 24 - MUS 23

3) Arlington @ Briarcrest: Arlington 32 - Briarcrest 24

4) Central @ Whitehaven: Whitehaven 50 - Central 6

5) Collierville @ CBHS: CBHS 30 - Collierville 18

6) Mitchell vs Craigmont @ Raleigh-Egypt: Craigmont 28 - Mitchell 18

The most intriguing game, in my opinion, is the East vs. MUS game. If they played earlier in the season I would have picked MUS, in a not-so-close game. In the end, this game will come down to East's big play advantage versus MUS's kicking game (particularly FGs and punting) advantage.

Are you going to the East/MUS game?

I am not going to the East/MUS game, KWC. But, if I could, that is the one that I would attend, closely followed by Arl/Briar.

MUS wins this one! MUS must have improved linebacker play or East's stud tb will have a big night. East on the other hand looks suspiciously vunerable in the secondary...Not real impressed with the play of the corners! MUS'S only advantage in the kicking game is with fgs greater than 30 yds. East is not in the same position Rway was last year with no kicking game whatsoever...Punter is pretty good and kickoff is deep. Difference will come down to turnovers and whether East really feels like they can beat MUS. Can't remember how long it's been since they did. Either way...OWLS celebrate tonight with a win over unbeaten EAST! Book it!!!

For everyone that's picking MUS to beat East, I would like to say you folks are underestimating a few things: 1.) How good Kimbrow is! 2.) The size advantage of East 3.) Last but not least the coaching of East. Their coach played at Miami, so to just think that MUS has superior coaching is incorrect IMHO. East has the size and playmakers to beat MUS this season. MUS will make it close, however unless East still has suspect depth, which I don't think they do since they are 5-0 at the moment, I really think MUS comes out on the short end of this one. ;)

For everyone that's picking MUS to beat East, I would like to say you folks are underestimating a few things: 1.) How good Kimbrow is! 2.) The size advantage of East 3.) Last but not least the coaching of East. Their coach played at Miami, so to just think that MUS has superior coaching is incorrect IMHO. East has the size and playmakers to beat MUS this season. MUS will make it close, however unless East still has suspect depth, which I don't think they do since they are 5-0 at the moment, I really think MUS comes out on the short end of this one. ;)

How does playing football at Miami translate into being a good football coach? Being a great college player or playing in a great program does not necessarily mean you will be a good football coach! Besides, how many good coaches does east have on their staff other than Wimberly? MUS has a proven, quality staff that has coached together in many big football games and they have four former head football coaches on their staff--Cady, Dowtin, Ellis and Finney--along with Coach Alston.

East might very well have the fastest player on the field and they might be bigger than MUS, but that is not exactly something new to MUS! I think it will be a great game and may the best team win!!!

How does playing football at Miami translate into being a good football coach? Being a great college player or playing in a great program does not necessarily mean you will be a good football coach! Besides, how many good coaches does east have on their staff other than Wimberly? MUS has a proven, quality staff that has coached together in many big football games and they have four former head football coaches on their staff--Cady, Dowtin, Ellis and Finney--along with Coach Alston.

East might very well have the fastest player on the field and they might be bigger than MUS, but that is not exactly something new to MUS! I think it will be a great game and may the best team win!!!

To answer your first question, East has been stedily improving year in and year out with him at the helm. East put up 22 point on the GREAT WHITEHAVEN Defense last year. Easily the most in a season that we, Whitehaven, gave up a TD per game, like 7.8 ppg last season. I think folks are not taking into account how good East is really. They have brought back most of the players that were on that team and they have beaten 3 good teams this season: Wooddale, Briarcrest and Southwind. MUS on the other hand has LOST to every good team they have played this season. All I am saying is some of the logic for picking MUS to defeat East this season should be re-evaluated as they don't seem to have the talent to go along with that "Great" coaching this season. #cantwait :popcorneater:

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

To answer your first question, East has been stedily improving year in and year out with him at the helm. East put up 22 point on the GREAT WHITEHAVEN Defense last year. Easily the most in a season that we, Whitehaven, gave up a TD per game, like 7.8 ppg last season. I think folks are not taking into account how good East is really. They have brought back most of the players that were on that team and they have beaten 3 good teams this season: Wooddale, Briarcrest and Southwind. MUS on the other hand has LOST to every good team they have played this season. All I am saying is some of the logic for picking MUS to defeat East this season should be re-evaluated as they don't seem to have the talent to go along with that "Great" coaching this season. #cantwait :popcorneater:

Speaking of coaching, maybe you could explain to everyone why Whitehaven last season was the FIRST TIME Whitehaven made it beyond the state quarterfinals! We all know how much talent Whitehaven has year in year out, the most talented team in the state each year. I have been hearing for 20 years college recruiters talk about all the talent Whitehaven has and yet the 2010 season was Whitehaven's first time past the state quarterfinals. How can that be? Could it be that the Whitehaven does not have great coaching and they get by with average coaching? You tell me

Speaking of coaching, maybe you could explain to everyone why Whitehaven last season was the FIRST TIME Whitehaven made it beyond the state quarterfinals! We all know how much talent Whitehaven has year in year out, the most talented team in the state each year. I have been hearing for 20 years college recruiters talk about all the talent Whitehaven has and yet the 2010 season was Whitehaven's first time past the state quarterfinals. How can that be? Could it be that the Whitehaven does not have great coaching and they get by with average coaching? You tell me

I would be willing to bet that the MUS Football staff would have already won multiple state titles with all of their TALENT! I wonder who would get more out of their teams, MUS coaches with the Whitehaven TALENT or Whitehaven coaches with MUS talent? Anyone want to take a guess?

MUS Football--5 State Championships, East Football 1 State Championship, but RESPECT DA 'HAVEN has yet to win a football state title! Hmmmmmmmmm...looks like Whitehaven better bring home the gold ball this year or people will start asking questions about the quality of coaching, or lack there of, at Whitehaven.

I would be willing to bet that the MUS Football staff would have already won multiple state titles with all of their TALENT! I wonder who would get more out of their teams, MUS coaches with the Whitehaven TALENT or Whitehaven coaches with MUS talent? Anyone want to take a guess?

MUS Football--5 State Championships, East Football 1 State Championship, but RESPECT DA 'HAVEN has yet to win a football state title! Hmmmmmmmmm...looks like Whitehaven better bring home the gold ball this year or people will start asking questions about the quality of coaching, or lack there of, at Whitehaven.

Whitehaven should be ashamed with all of that talent and to never have won the state championship! Bring Whitehaven over to Maryville and we can show them how to develop talent and WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! Sounds like their coaching ain't so "great!"

Whitehaven should be ashamed with all of that talent and to never have won the state championship! Bring Whitehaven over to Maryville and we can show them how to develop talent and WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! Sounds like their coaching ain't so "great!"

I'm humble enough to admit that we have had coaching issues.Our staff consist of gentlemen who have taken alot of heat from the city and especially in our own community. Most of our staff are younger than 40. With that being said I see improvement from when this staff started to now. This staff has been together for 8 yrs and we are learning on the job. Trust a Gold ball is coming very soon. Once that happens, there going to keep coming. Respect The Haven!!!

Edited by dannyq

TraderB:

I haven't seen East nor MUS this year. So, I can't speak from that perspective. I've looked at the records and have taken into account the types of teams each have played to date. Granted ... MUS may very well win this game, but I just can't comprehend MUS putting 35 on East while East only musters up 14 points.

Oh well ... we will see come Friday!

:popcorneater:

Kwc,

I've seen MUS twice, and East once (plus one early season scrimmage, for whatever that's worth). I'm 100% convinced that East is a PRETENDER, primarily due to its defensive inadequacies. MUS, on the other hand, looks to be kinda' on the edge between contender and pretender and has a considerably better defense than does East.

MUS seems to play sort of an opportunistic, bend-but-don't-break type of defense. They tend to stiffen up in the Red Zone. Given this, I suspect that East's RB (Kimbrow) will likely bust a number of long runs, probably resulting in a couple of TD's. Other than that, MUS will very likely keep East out of the end zone.

East's defenders are often caught out of position (poor discipline??) and don't tackle very well, consistently. I strongly suspect that MUS' coaching staff has observed this... If that trend continues for East, then MUS' coaching staff will likely be quick to exploit it, often. The result: MUS and its ever-improving spread offense should have no trouble hanging 35 points on East.

--------------------------------------------

While East could absolutely SHOCK me, by defeating MUS....as you said, Kwc -- we will see... :popcorneater:

p.s...... should MUS' backup QB enter the game, don't be shocked to see him torch East's secondary!

I don't have to explain NOTHING to u! One starts one Million... Keep watching from the side HATIN on Da Haven and see us keep taking it to the Next Level!