Greenback hosts Grace

matback

TSSA has you listed as a 2a school in distrct 3 and you are also ranked 3 in 2a,are you 1a or 2a?

First, I'm not a Grace guy. I used to be a sports reporter in East Tennessee and now live in the Nashville area.

But to answer your question, Grace is classified as a 1A school in the regular season and, when it is playoff eligible, will be a 2A school in the postseason.

If I'm not mistaken they were about 5 students from moving up to AA (football playoff 3A) for these two final seasons of the four-year classification period. Just luck, I'm sure.

The reason for much of the resentment, still, is schools like this stubbornly remaining in Division I. How much griping do you hear now about FRA or BGA, or even the long-time "villain" in the state, Brentwood Academy?

You're right: Grace built it and the transfers came. When you have great coaching, growing facilities, a nurturing Christian environment, good academics, relatively low tuition and early success, you don't need to recruit. The key to Grace's success is that kids who might sit on the bench at a bigger school (Farragut, Bearden, Karns, Clinton) can come to a smaller squad and get earlier playing time. Who wouldn't want that? It recruits itself.

I know the McKamey family and others who are key figures at the school. You don't have to worry about them intentionally crossing TSSAA boundaries. They made an inadvertent, dumb mistake and have paid the price.

Private schools get a bad name because the surrounding public schools wish they could retain all the talent in their zones. I'm sure that's frustrating. But it doesn't imply that the private school is cheating.

Wasn't an inadventant mistake. Perhaps you should talk to #5's grandmother. Apparently, the school makes a lot of inadventant mistakes. Just so you know, I know for fact that a family visited with Pastor personally about the baskeball transfer from FL a few years ago, before Grace's appearance in the state championship. Not only did the Pastor and school not address it, he allowed the kid to be on the court and start the game. It was self reported after the basketball season, and only after the family left the church, and Grace was fined and vacated those wins. Unfortunately, that same family has and continues to be blamed and crucified as being a family trying to destroy a school that professes to be showing compassion for ineligible athletes. As I recall there was another self report of a football player the same year the TSSAA came down on Grace having his tuition paid by several families. The Wannamaker kid also illegally live with the Pastor's son and played both basketball and football for the school without paying tuition. Guess that was inadvertant, too?

If I'm not mistaken they were about 5 students from moving up to AA (football playoff 3A) for these two final seasons of the four-year classification period. Just luck, I'm sure.

The reason for much of the resentment, still, is schools like this stubbornly remaining in Division I. How much griping do you hear now about FRA or BGA, or even the long-time "villain" in the state, Brentwood Academy?

Indian, you're correct. I'm a Brentwood Academy graduate, and it's nice not to be a punching bag for allegations like we used to be.

The schools in Division I will complain about private schools as long as those private schools keep beating them. You don't hear any complaints about Nashville Christian playing in Division I. Why? Because they aren't contending for championships.

Some coaches in Tennessee would rather avoid tough opposition than taking it head-on. Signal Mountain's football coach even went so far as to admit his school moved to 4A just to avoid playing Alcoa in the playoffs. It's not a public-private issue; that's just a symptom of a larger problem -- some coaches want easier paths to a gold ball. They're teaching kids to shy away from adversity by blaming their circumstances.

Private schools aren't the problem, just like Alcoa isn't the problem. Both are just convenient excuses.

Wasn't an inadventant mistake. Perhaps you should talk to #5's grandmother. Apparently, the school makes a lot of inadventant mistakes. Just so you know, I know for fact that a family visited with Pastor personally about the baskeball transfer from FL a few years ago, before Grace's appearance in the state championship. Not only did the Pastor and school not address it, he allowed the kid to be on the court and start the game. It was self reported after the basketball season, and only after the family left the church, and Grace was fined and vacated those wins. Unfortunately, that same family has and continues to be blamed and crucified as being a family trying to destroy a school that professes to be showing compassion for ineligible athletes. As I recall there was another self report of a football player the same year the TSSAA came down on Grace having his tuition paid by several families. The Wannamaker kid also illegally live with the Pastor's son and played both basketball and football for the school without paying tuition. Guess that was inadvertant, too?

Braveheart, I'll let my response in the other thread speak for me, so I don't repeat myself. I've enjoyed the debate and hearing your perspective. I'm not a Grace fan or apologist. I've simply recounted my experience with the many people I know at the school.

Indian, you're correct. I'm a Brentwood Academy graduate, and it's nice not to be a punching bag for allegations like we used to be.

The schools in Division I will complain about private schools as long as those private schools keep beating them. You don't hear any complaints about Nashville Christian playing in Division I. Why? Because they aren't contending for championships.

Some coaches in Tennessee would rather avoid tough opposition than taking it head-on. Signal Mountain's football coach even went so far as to admit his school moved to 4A just to avoid playing Alcoa in the playoffs. It's not a public-private issue; that's just a symptom of a larger problem -- some coaches want easier paths to a gold ball. They're teaching kids to shy away from adversity by blaming their circumstances.

Private schools aren't the problem, just like Alcoa isn't the problem. Both are just convenient excuses.

Wrong again ,nobody complains about SP or Trousdale.I've got plenty of respect for the both of them. Its schools like Grace who take advantage of every loophole to success. When you have access to kids from several large schools in Knoxville,you should be able to handle these little public schools who are in their region.

Maj, orgnblk, was a good conversation until the GCA bashing started. I'm suprised it took until Thursday. Good luck tomorrow night, should be a good game. I know Greenback will bring it, no doubt in my mind. The RAMS better be prepared for the buzz saw in the first quarter, emotions will be high on the Greenback side.

Maj, orgnblk, was a good conversation until the GCA bashing started. I'm suprised it took until Thursday. Good luck tomorrow night, should be a good game. I know Greenback will bring it, no doubt in my mind. The RAMS better be prepared for the buzz saw in the first quarter, emotions will be high on the Greenback side.

My Mom always told me"Kill'm with kindness"

More like ,feed um candy and tell um lies.

:roflolk::roflolk::roflolk:

Im beginning to think these GC folk on here would fit in well in Washington!

"I was for it before I was against it"..."Tho it happened, it never really happened"..."Yes it was wrong and we continue to do it, but we've done nothing wrong....you're just jealous" PfffffffT!

Oh well, play hard GB!!!!

Edited by uknoit2

Wes, I respectfully disagree on some parts. I think private schools have several advantages over public schools [too many to list since I don’t want to drone on!]. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of remorse or actually, a solid understanding, of the incidents by 90% of the folks at Grace.

The private/public schools should be separated, especially at the lower classifications. That is where the advantage really comes in. Imagine adding three D1 "transfers" to Greenback's squad this year. They would be unstoppable. Look at the statistics of how many championships are won by private schools at the lower classifications. I'm sure you understand probabilities. When a very small population vastly outnumbers the larger group...what is statistically wrong there? [drone level 3]

Existentially, Life is not fair. Fair is a place where you go to get cotton candy.

But Football SHOULD be as fair as possible SO that other Real Life Lessons can be learned and reinforced. If you Work Hard you win. BUT if another team is allowed certain advantages over your school! What’s the point of hard work? Guess you better go to private school and work hard!

Also, Also, you have to see open enrollment as a tremendous advantage for a select few schools on the outskirts of large populations, (Alcoa). Really? Being able to draw from Fulton, AE, Central, Oak Ridge, Farragut and Maryville without penalty is a huge honey hole! [drone level 5.6]

I agree that most coaches are looking for the easy path but the problem lies with the Communities not the Coaches. The coaches are just the point of the issue. You said it best. We (as in America) are teaching our kids to shy away from adversity or teaching them how to bend the rules. I bust on the T$$AA all the time...but WE are the T$$AA. I should be writing and calling the T$$AA asking "What can I do to make the organization stronger, more competitive and more fair for all kids." We should all demand better competition in the fairest sense possible.

Either way, all the folks I have met at Grace are solid. I don't have lots of dealings with them nor do I know a bunch, but the ones I know have been super nice. Webb is still the Class private school for me. Outstanding coaches and fans! :thumb: Just a few of my thoughts and observations on this. Seems like the thread went a lot better than I thought it would this week. Great job CoachT! [drone level…off da hook!] :roflolk:

Wes, I respectfully disagree on some parts. I think private schools have several advantages over public schools [too many to list since I don’t want to drone on!]. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of remorse or actually, a solid understanding, of the incidents by 90% of the folks at Grace.

The private/public schools should be separated, especially at the lower classifications. That is where the advantage really comes in. Imagine adding three D1 "transfers" to Greenback's squad this year. They would be unstoppable. Look at the statistics of how many championships are won by private schools at the lower classifications. I'm sure you understand probabilities. When a very small population vastly outnumbers the larger group...what is statistically wrong there? [drone level 3]

Existentially, Life is not fair. Fair is a place where you go to get cotton candy.

But Football SHOULD be as fair as possible SO that other Real Life Lessons can be learned and reinforced. If you Work Hard you win. BUT if another team is allowed certain advantages over your school! What’s the point of hard work? Guess you better go to private school and work hard!

Also, Also, you have to see open enrollment as a tremendous advantage for a select few schools on the outskirts of large populations, (Alcoa). Really? Being able to draw from Fulton, AE, Central, Oak Ridge, Farragut and Maryville without penalty is a huge honey hole! [drone level 5.6]

I agree that most coaches are looking for the easy path but the problem lies with the Communities not the Coaches. The coaches are just the point of the issue. You said it best. We (as in America) are teaching our kids to shy away from adversity or teaching them how to bend the rules. I bust on the T$$AA all the time...but WE are the T$$AA. I should be writing and calling the T$$AA asking "What can I do to make the organization stronger, more competitive and more fair for all kids." We should all demand better competition in the fairest sense possible.

Either way, all the folks I have met at Grace are solid. I don't have lots of dealings with them nor do I know a bunch, but the ones I know have been super nice. Webb is still the Class private school for me. Outstanding coaches and fans! :thumb: Just a few of my thoughts and observations on this. Seems like the thread went a lot better than I thought it would this week. Great job CoachT! [drone level…off da hook!] :roflolk:

Need a "Like" button for this one!