Public school coaches told not to pray

pioneer95

How Does God Fit In at School

“They don’t see school as being part of the government,†he said. “They think of them as being ‘our schools’ and as belonging to the community.â€

Okay, so the next time a high school football team wins a state championship should we hold a victory parade in the federal government's honor instead of the school/community?

FYI, for those who want to argue about Founding Fathers' intent, Thomas Jefferson (the one most often quoted by those who would like to force such discussions to occur exclusively inside the walls of a church building) was very likely not a Christian, given that he did not believe in the Holy Trinity, the Virgin Birth, or that Jesus performed miracles (his knowledge of science would not allow him to accept such contradictions to scientific law)...some pretty fundamentally required beliefs. That being said, Jefferson was very upfront about his belief that the Bible and the teachings of Jesus were the highest morality available to humankind. He quoted Scripture and referenced God regularly in his public speeches while POTUS. He also took the time and effort to piece together his own personal Biblical stories in what is known as the "Jefferson Bible". Read About it HerePretty tedious task, compounded by the time period in which Jefferson lived.

Also, one more thing about Thomas Jefferson is that while he was one of the great proponents of public access to a free education, he NEVER desired that to be something run or even funded by the federal government, but rather by the local and state levels. Of course, that is why I wanted to draw attention to the quote above from the article. It flies in direct opposition to that idea.

Edited by BurroBall

Hey Folks this did happen look it up! Jody is a fine Christan man thought i would share it with you guys its long and well worth the read.

The Hypocritical US Supreme Court

Author unknown

This is a statement that was read over the PA system at the football game at Roane County High School, Kingston, Tennessee, by school Principal, Jody McLeod.

“It has always been the custom at Roane County High School football games, to say a prayer and play the National Anthem, to honor God and Country.â€

Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, I am told that saying a Prayer is a violation of Federal Case Law. As I understand the law at this time, I can use this public facility to approve of sexual perversion and call it “an alternate lifestyle,†and if someone is offended, that’s OK.

I can use it to condone sexual promiscuity, by dispensing condoms and calling it, “safe sex.†If someone is offended, that’s OK.

I can even use this public facility to present the merits of killing an unborn baby as a “viable means of birth control.†If someone is offended, no problem…

I can designate a school day as “Earth Day†and involve students in activities to worship religiously and praise the goddess “Mother Earth†and call it “ecology.â€

I can use literature, videos and presentations in the classroom that depicts people with strong, traditional Christian convictions as “simple minded†and “ignorant†and call it “enlightenment.â€

However, if anyone uses this facility to honor GOD and to ask HIM to Bless this event with safety and good sportsmanship, then Federal Case Law is violated.

This appears to be inconsistent at best, and at worst, diabolical. Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except GOD and HIS Commandments.

Nevertheless, as a school principal, I frequently ask staff and students to abide by rules with which they do not necessarily agree. For me to do otherwise would be inconsistent at best, and at worst, hypocritical

I suffer from that affliction enough unintentionally. I certainly do not need to add an intentional transgression.

For this reason, I shall “Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s,†and refrain from praying at this time.

“However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and thank GOD and ask HIM, in the name of JESUS, to Bless this event, please feel free to do so. As far as I know, that’s not against the law—-yet.â€

One by one, the people in the stands bowed their heads, held hands with one another and began to pray.

They prayed in the stands. They prayed in the team huddles. They prayed at the concession stand and they prayed in the Announcer’s Box!

I couldn't AGREE MORE!!...I for one have HAD IT!! Please also know that the Henry County High School football team could also be refered to as the "Praying Patriots"! After EVERY game..Win or Lose...the Patriots hold hands, surrounded by coaches, families, fans, supporters, and cheerleaders and cite what's commonly refered to as the "Lord's Prayer" down on the field, whether at home or on the road in fair weather or foul! This is not only a tradition passed down from class to class...it's a right afforded them by the constitution that governs the land in which the very school resides!

Preach Prez, preach it. The Jackets do the same and we prayed with HC this year. At least those did that could stand after our shellacing by the Pats.

The photo above was taken from Friday night's game between Henry County High and Clarksville NE...this was at the beginning of the 2nd quarter following a play where a Northeast Eagle player was seriously injured and the medical staff, EMTs, and ambulance were on the field tending to the young man. As the Northeast Eagles assembled for a prayer on the far sideline....the 2000+ Patriot fans saw #74 Dremel Kendall gather his team together and lead the Big Red sideline in prayer for a young man who was clearly in pain, whose condition at the time was unknown..without having ever met the player from Northeast. Clearly...this is what is great about High School athletics...and I'd love to see someone try to "legislate" this out of the game!

Great post and another instance where a picture is worth a thousand words

Edited by TheCommissioner

• 1 month later...

During last week's (November 26th) Mr. Football awards banquet held at Murfreesboro's Embassey Suites...I was "pleasantly" astonished by the TSSAA director's "pause for prayer" prior to the luncheon. The prayer was led by USJ's head football coach Mickey Marley! This, as is all other times, was an appropriate time to pause for prayer! However, it struck me as an "interesting turn of events" as it is relates to high school football and prayer given the world we live in today and the pushback we've seen in many communities this year! Good job TSSAA for holding your ground at least at this event!

During last week's (November 26th) Mr. Football awards banquet held at Murfreesboro's Embassey Suites...I was "pleasantly" astonished by the TSSAA director's "pause for prayer" prior to the luncheon. The prayer was led by USJ's head football coach Mickey Marley! This, as is all other times, was an appropriate time to pause for prayer! However, it struck me as an "interesting turn of events" as it is relates to high school football and prayer given the world we live in today and the pushback we've seen in many communities this year! Good job TSSAA for holding your ground at least at this event!

Agree, great job TSSAA! I will say that maybe as an outside association, they do not have there hands tied like the educational entities they are affiliated with.

There is more proof that global warming exists than any proof of some sort of giant invisible cosmic boogie-man floating around up in the sky somewhere demanding to be prayed to at Friday night football games.

You people are (as they say in the South)..."a real hoot!"

But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 10:32-34

Guess what grizzle, God does not believe you exist. Jus sayin! :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad