Public school coaches told not to pray

pioneer95

Keep praying... As an added bit of encouragement for our football team, our church provides a special Sunday School class specifically for our football team members and has inspirational speakers from the football community come in as guest speakers each week during the entire season. One of their favorites was Inky Johnson, who spoke this season. This is a special bonding time for the players and helps them to be leaders on and off the field through their spiritual lives as well.

Very true! In Soddy Daisy last year, one single person complained about the praying over the intercom at the start of the game and after that it was ban. But it backfired on that person because the students came together and had their prayer on the field before the game and welcomed anyone else to join them. It was very uplifting to see almost everyone in the stands from both sides empty out onto the field.

Who gave the "one single person" the ability and power to overrule the majority? How does that happen? WHy does it continue to happen?

Keep praying... As an added bit of encouragement for our football team, our church provides a special Sunday School class specifically for our football team members and has inspirational speakers from the football community come in as guest speakers each week during the entire season. One of their favorites was Inky Johnson, who spoke this season. This is a special bonding time for the players and helps them to be leaders on and off the field through their spiritual lives as well.

:thumb: That is a great idea. We do something like this in our leadership meetings. This is very good for the boys because it is one thing for them to see their parents and adults do it but to see their peers doing it is very motivational.

The words spoken into law by our founding fathers have not changed,but some of those in charge of assuring that these "inalienable rights"be maintained,well their perceptions of them sure have!Seperation of church and state(in my opinion)was included as an article to keep government out of church,period. To those among you whom have not read our constitution...READ IT!The first thing that should catch your attention is the fact that it does not "grant"anyone the right to do or be anything(God already took care of that),it however guarantees that no one infringe upon these rights that we were born with!!How then does the seperation of church and state drift into"don't pray"?True and complete seperation of these two entities is impossible!The toolbar on my laptop says that this day in history be known as the 28'th day of September,in the year 2011...how was that concluded????BECAUSE THAT'S THE ELAPSED TIME SINCE CHRIST DIED SO THAT I(AND YOU) MIGHT BE SAVED FROM OUR SINS OF NONBELIEF!!! The very measurement of time itself,observed by ALL religions,nationalities,and yes the same goverening body that says "dont pray" insures that Christs' infleuence will never evaporate!Add to that the fact that the U.S. Treasury Dept. prints currency with the motto "In God We Trust" front and center.Folks...we were born with the right to pray,and the founders of this nation drafted a document for the purpose of keeping that right(among others)sacred past their own control,FACT.Also a fact,though cloaked in the guise of equality and tolerance is that the very document guaranteeing you this freedom is the vehicle being used to destroy it.All men defend the rights of each man,each man defend the rights of all men!Enough of my rant,read it for yourselves and do something about it!

This is a crock and the coaches need to push it. Check the law, student led prayer is perfectly acceptable and furthermore just like the students, teachers do not have to check their freedoms at the door of the school house or anywhere else. Just like a prayer at the pole or any other type of religious activity as long as it is not initiated or led by the coaches they can participate. A teacher can be part of a bible study or religious club as long as it is student led. The school and anyone else who thinks different is wrong in this instance. A shame you cannot bow your head anymore with out a backlash!!

This is a crock and the coaches need to push it. Check the law, student led prayer is perfectly acceptable and furthermore just like the students, teachers do not have to check their freedoms at the door of the school house or anywhere else. Just like a prayer at the pole or any other type of religious activity as long as it is not initiated or led by the coaches they can participate. A teacher can be part of a bible study or religious club as long as it is student led. The school and anyone else who thinks different is wrong in this instance. A shame you cannot bow your head anymore with out a backlash!!

We need more young men and women stepping up and fighting for their freedoms. I went through high school and college in FCA led by faculty members. No one ever complained about it then. Our coach also led us in prayer prior to and after every football game. This was at a public school.

Christians are treated about how Black Americans were treated pre 1970's. I work in management and I am not allowed to work a 7th day Adventist on Friday nights or Saturdays. However, Christians are expected to work Sundays whether they like it or not, including me!! Not Right.

Now you can not pray, pretty soon Christians teachers will not be allowed to work in public schools. My mother is a teacher in Rutherford County (1st grade) she is not allowed to refer to her husband as husband. Things can get out of control, but Friday nights we can all relax and enjoy football and forget about it for 2 hours or so!!

The words spoken into law by our founding fathers have not changed,but some of those in charge of assuring that these "inalienable rights"be maintained,well their perceptions of them sure have!Seperation of church and state(in my opinion)was included as an article to keep government out of church,period. To those among you whom have not read our constitution...READ IT!The first thing that should catch your attention is the fact that it does not "grant"anyone the right to do or be anything(God already took care of that),it however guarantees that no one infringe upon these rights that we were born with!!How then does the seperation of church and state drift into"don't pray"?True and complete seperation of these two entities is impossible!The toolbar on my laptop says that this day in history be known as the 28'th day of September,in the year 2011...how was that concluded????BECAUSE THAT'S THE ELAPSED TIME SINCE CHRIST DIED SO THAT I(AND YOU) MIGHT BE SAVED FROM OUR SINS OF NONBELIEF!!! The very measurement of time itself,observed by ALL religions,nationalities,and yes the same goverening body that says "dont pray" insures that Christs' infleuence will never evaporate!Add to that the fact that the U.S. Treasury Dept. prints currency with the motto "In God We Trust" front and center.Folks...we were born with the right to pray,and the founders of this nation drafted a document for the purpose of keeping that right(among others)sacred past their own control,FACT.Also a fact,though cloaked in the guise of equality and tolerance is that the very document guaranteeing you this freedom is the vehicle being used to destroy it.All men defend the rights of each man,each man defend the rights of all men!Enough of my rant,read it for yourselves and do something about it!

Let's clear a few 'facts' up for you:

1. Not all nations use OUR calender.

2. It is not based on the DEATH of CHRIST. AD DOES NOT MEAN 'After Death' it means: Anno Domini "In the year of our Lord" and it is measured from the assumed date of his birth which historians now believe is about 2.7 years off.

3. Yes, the 1st Amendment to the constitution does give all Americans the right to practice their religious freedoms but the Supreme Court has upheld the separation clause (first part of the first amendment) to prohibit teachers and government employees from forcing their religious views and dogma on students. I once had a Jewish teacher who tried to tell us that Jesus was not the son of God. Under the law, he should not have done this but no one stopped him. As a Christian, I can understand why our founding fathers included this amendment.

4. As an assistant football coach, I stand behind the student-led prayer after every football game. I see no problem with it whatsoever; however, if my administration tells me not to do it I can't afford to lose my job to make a point. Protesting this ban is one thing but no one should lose their job to make a point. Coaches have families and in this tough economy they should not risk their jobs to make a point.

Just my humble opinion.

These school districts

/ systems all over the country as well as here in Tennessee are wielding unchecked powers and practicing intimidation tactics rival only by the nazis or the soviets. Most of these powers are bestowded upon them by their own boards. I hear about it al the time from students. Parents , get involved these little control freaks need to be leashed.

The phrase "separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state"), attributed to Thomas Jefferson and others, and since quoted by the Supreme Court of the United States, expresses an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. That doesn't seem too far fetched for even poorly educated hillbilly sports fans to understand. Certainly if they cling so strongly to belief in a giant invisible cosmic boogie-man floating around up in the sky somewhere demanding to be prayed to at ballgames on a Friday night, then the concept of church/state separation should be a piece of cake. Not sure why they struggle so much with it.

Edited by nrgrizzlies

A young man I went to school with and shared our homeroom group was an atheist. When this subject came up about prayer in school, back then, we asked him how he felt.

His answer was succint, pure, and recognized everyone's rights. He said, and I will paraphrase a bit here, "that as long as none of us MADE him bow his head and appear to pray, then what right did he have to make the rest of us not pray".

That is something I did and can still respect. Why can't the others understand that the rights of others are being trampled on as well when they make demands such as these.

Actually that phrase is not I'm the Constitution. It was in a letter of correspondence between TJ and I think James Madison. It was meant to protect the church of Jesus Christ from the govt, that it would not and could not impose any one religion in the people. As people we have inalienable rights from God , the Constitution gives us no rights it merely explains them and limits govt from abriding or removing them. If I as a person choose to pray ,anywhere and at anytime it is my Right to do so , without interference or intimidation, even by the all powerful school systems. If you sir do not believe in GOD that OS certainly your right and I would fight for that right , but know this I am the boogie man .