TSSAA strips Signal Mountain of its six wins

signalfire

A lot of blame is being thrown around on both sides. This is an open and shut case. There is one person and one person only who is totally, 100%, unequivocally responsible for this whole mess. That person is George W Bush. If not for Bush, there'd be no NCLB, therefore there would be no failing schools, no passing schools, no HCDE "school pairings", no NCLB bus running from Howard to SM, no HCDE hardship waivers, no TSSAA investigation, last minute letters from that Childress man, and Signal Mountain would be 6-2 and playoff bound. It's all George's fault!!!!

• Upvote 1

I am tired of the "everyone else is doing it too" excuse. What my mother always asked many, many, many moons ago still applies today. If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you? I am sad to see the vitriol toward my community, but it seems that the addition of this school to the mountain and with it a winning sports program has brought out the worst in everyone. It is discouraging to hear my neighbors taunt and tease about sore losers when they seem to be unable to win with grace. I was once upset that my children did not have a mountain school to attend and I had to send them off the mountain. I was glad to contribute to the funds to build the high school. After seeing the changes in the attitudes of the community and the divisions it has brought between neighbors (I witnesses a verbal war between a SMMHS parent and a parent who chose McCallie for his son the other day), I am pleased my children graduated before SMMHS.

You, sir are to be congratulated in my opinion. If more people on the mountain had your attitude, they would not be going through this. This world and the people in it could use a big dose of humbleness. No one loves sports more than I, and the reason that I love them so much is the life lessons that can be attained through them. There is so much there for our kids to learn through playing sports that will bring out the best in them, but I'll be darned if the adults aren't allowing sports to bring out the worst in them. What lessons are being taught to the kids my cheating, you can't spend your whole life trying to teach a kid to be good, don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal... and then turn around and let that same kid see you doing what he has been told not to do. Abide by the rules set out for you, if you want to recruit and bring in players from all over, that is fine, there is nothing wrong with that, just go private and you can do that legally. And finally, I read CoachT on a daily basis and have read many of the SM threads, and I have this observation: If God, the creator of this universe, does not put a value on people (meaning he loves everyone equally) then how can you view yourselves as so much better than everyone else? Your kids are special but they are no better than the kids at Brainerd, EH, Howard, or any other school, they are all special, you would do your kids a big justice by trying to teach them this concept. My intent was to shed light from an unbiased point of view, I am from Blount County and have no dog in the hunt, and did not come to offend, but if you want respect....you have to show respect....if you want friend, you have to be a friend....if you want people to treat you with class, then you have to exhibit some class. As I said, I am from Blount County and SM has made a name for itself across a big portion of the state in a short period of time, and it is not a very good one, but you all still have a young school, it is not too late to turn that around.

A lot of blame is being thrown around on both sides. This is an open and shut case. There is one person and one person only who is totally, 100%, unequivocally responsible for this whole mess. That person is George W Bush. If not for Bush, there'd be no NCLB, therefore there would be no failing schools, no passing schools, no HCDE "school pairings", no NCLB bus running from Howard to SM, no HCDE hardship waivers, no TSSAA investigation, last minute letters from that Childress man, and Signal Mountain would be 6-2 and playoff bound. It's all George's fault!!!!

Since this hardship transfer has not been publicly acknowledged as NCLB related,you canteven blame Dubya for his one...there have been hardship transfers long before NCLB and I'm sure there wll be more after the 2014 NCLB deadline. Everyone knows playing sub-championship football is a hardship for a talented RB...cut and dried.

so are you asking that obamma give the buzzards a pardon and reinstate there ill gotten wins. :roflol:

before this kid decide to transfer how much was price and others in contact with this kid. oh you are doing the right thing we'll take care of you son. i think he got some people giving bad advice that has cost him dearly. with all the genius on buzzard hill think they wouldn't let a kid down for 6 wins. just fill out the paper no one will find what we done. shame on the coaches and administartors. its not up to the county to help with your TSSAA paper workout. quit crying and except what you did as being wrong.

You, sir are to be congratulated in my opinion. If more people on the mountain had your attitude, they would not be going through this. This world and the people in it could use a big dose of humbleness. No one loves sports more than I, and the reason that I love them so much is the life lessons that can be attained through them. There is so much there for our kids to learn through playing sports that will bring out the best in them, but I'll be darned if the adults aren't allowing sports to bring out the worst in them. What lessons are being taught to the kids my cheating, you can't spend your whole life trying to teach a kid to be good, don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal... and then turn around and let that same kid see you doing what he has been told not to do. Abide by the rules set out for you, if you want to recruit and bring in players from all over, that is fine, there is nothing wrong with that, just go private and you can do that legally. And finally, I read CoachT on a daily basis and have read many of the SM threads, and I have this observation: If God, the creator of this universe, does not put a value on people (meaning he loves everyone equally) then how can you view yourselves as so much better than everyone else? Your kids are special but they are no better than the kids at Brainerd, EH, Howard, or any other school, they are all special, you would do your kids a big justice by trying to teach them this concept. My intent was to shed light from an unbiased point of view, I am from Blount County and have no dog in the hunt, and did not come to offend, but if you want respect....you have to show respect....if you want friend, you have to be a friend....if you want people to treat you with class, then you have to exhibit some class. As I said, I am from Blount County and SM has made a name for itself across a big portion of the state in a short period of time, and it is not a very good one, but you all still have a young school, it is not too late to turn that around.

Jake, unfortunately the people that love this community and love this school have been under constant attack since before it was built. I believe if you ever attended a SM game you would find almost all fans to be very friendly and down to earth. Probably the opposite of what you would expect if your only knowledge of us was from what is posted on here. Even in your email you attack us, and at the same time take a holly than thou attitude, not sure if that was your intent or not, but it is what it is. Where is the attack? Well you blatantly called us cheaters and falsely accused of recruiting. The TSSAA didn’t say SM cheated nor did they say SM recruited. What they did say is SM made a mistake and the penalty is. However, even with what the TSSAA said the SM school, administrators, coaches, fans and community have been under constant attack. When people from SM defend this we are called arrogant, conceited, haughty and so on. I ask, is it not arrogant to come on and make accusations that are unfounded and untrue and then not expect the people they are directed toward to defend themselves?

I have to share this. I was watching a show called brain games with the family. They staged a purse snatching and then they brought in the group of eyewitnesses. But in the group they asked two to give different information. The result was amazing. Even though they had all been eyewitnesses because of the things these two people said several of them got the simplest and some of the most blatant details wrong. The moral of the story is people buy into what they hear as if it were true.

Does anyone know what the mission of the TSSAA is? From the post I seriously doubt it so I will post it.

The mission of the TSSAA is to serve its members by providing leadership and coordination for the administration of interscholastic athletics, which will enhance the educational experiences of students. The TSSAA will promote participation and sportsmanship to develop good citizens through interscholastic athletics, which provide equitable opportunities, positive recognition and learning experiences to students while maximizing the achievement of educational goals.

How does penalizing a young man that thought he did everything right work into this mission statement? Again, he has done nothing wrong! But because his paperwork wasn’t done properly by the school administrators per the TSSAA he is ineligible to continue participating. Plus his 60+ teammates also suffer.

If this young man or his family had given false information it would be different, but they didn’t.

The TSSAA is a great organization, but great organizations can lose sight of their mission.

TSSAA didn't fail these kids, the SM administration did with their sloppy half-azz approach to compliance. If they had shown due diligence in completing his paperwork, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If TSSAA overlooks this error now, they will be creating another excuse for schools to circumvent the rules..." no sir we didn't cheat, it was a mistake"...