TSSAA strips Signal Mountain of its six wins

signalfire

Now that's funny. So Ooltewah and Signal Mtn schools are about the same drive from the kid's alleged home? With creative directions like that, you should be a NY cabbie.

18 minutes to Ooltewah from Brainerd HS, 45 minutes to Signal Mountain, yahoo maps. It's not the miles as much as the travel time. And yes, it's been explained how they didn't want to go to Ooltewah for whatever reason(s).

One thing I've read and thought was funny, this player was not an unknown as he's been made out to be by some. He was listed as a top prospect before ever being in full pads at SM.

No picture is necessary, but was it ever explained how he was in a Cleveland jersey with the other players?

18 minutes to Ooltewah from Brainerd HS, 45 minutes to Signal Mountain, yahoo maps. It's not the miles as much as the travel time. And yes, it's been explained how they didn't want to go to Ooltewah for whatever reason(s).

One thing I've read and thought was funny, this player was not an unknown as he's been made out to be by some. He was listed as a top prospect before ever being in full pads at SM.

No picture is necessary, but was it ever explained how he was in a Cleveland jersey with the other players?

There is a pic of him with Voytik in a Cleveland uniform

TSSAA didn't fail these kids, the SM administration did with their sloppy half-azz approach to compliance. If they had shown due diligence in completing his paperwork, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If TSSAA overlooks this error now, they will be creating another excuse for schools to circumvent the rules..." no sir we didn't cheat, it was a mistake"...

SM administrators did fail in completing the paperwork properly. So now is it the responsibility of every player that wants to participate in a TSSAA sport to review all paperwork before it's submitted to the TSSAA to ensure accuracy? I think not. But how can any kid be certain that a mistake hasn't been made that will cost them their eligibility. Isn't part of their mission to promote participate. Is there a part in there that says hold kids responsible for the mistakes of adults?

I'm not asking to TSSAA to overlook anything. I do think they should reevaluate the penalty the student athlete suffers if they haven't done anything wrong. This might put them back in-line with their mission statement. You know smeagleize it.

In this case, vacate the wins, allow his paperwork to be resubmitted as a hardship and if it meets all criteria approve him and allow him to continue playing. Sure the team still gets penalized and that sucks but at least the individual student athlete doesn't.

As it currently stands the team is paying a price but this young man is paying a far greater price.

Oh, I'm not looking for this to happen now. I just think something could be done for the future.

SM administrators did fail in completing the paperwork properly. So now is it the responsibility of every player that wants to participate in a TSSAA sport to review all paperwork before it's submitted to the TSSAA to ensure accuracy? I think not. But how can any kid be certain that a mistake hasn't been made that will cost them their eligibility. Isn't part of their mission to promote participate. Is there a part in there that says hold kids responsible for the mistakes of adults?

I'm not asking to TSSAA to overlook anything. I do think they should reevaluate the penalty the student athlete suffers if they haven't done anything wrong. This might put them back in-line with their mission statement. You know smeagleize it.

In this case, vacate the wins, allow his paperwork to be resubmitted as a hardship and if it meets all criteria approve him and allow him to continue playing. Sure the team still gets penalized and that sucks but at least the individual student athlete doesn't.

As it currently stands the team is paying a price but this young man is paying a far greater price.

Oh, I'm not looking for this to happen now. I just think something could be done for the future.

SM the only one with a problem out of how many schools hamilton county?or what football is giving up wins ? check with schools in middle tn that are doing stuff the right way maybe they can help. i think SM said just do then will call it an error when we get caught!! :unsure:

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for beating this subject up. This Young man is hurting enough over this situation without having a lot of Adults around the area bashing him. I am not involved in this program at all, I even live across the mountain from Signal, and other than reading about it on this site I have not talked to anybody involved. But one thing for sure and certain there are a lot of kids hurting and I can guarantee you that the Coaches are hurting as well.

Watching High School sports for several years it has come very obvious that everyone attacks the team that is successful, and SMHS is no different, they are a very proud community that Loves and supports their High School, not just Football but all sports. Sure everybody is accusing them of cheating, which is easy to do when something like this happens, but maybe by chance somebody did make a mistake and not cheat. But regardless there are some kids that are hurting and for a bunch of adults getting on a public web site and beat them up is wrong!!!

As for the Coaching Staff: My son played for Coach Price, and I watched him work their butts off for five years, and during that time we won more games than the 10 years before, not because of cheating but because of the hard work. He installed discipline, hard work and dedication to the program and the players loved him for it and the community rallied around the program!!! My son has since graduated and in his 4th year of college about 5 hours away, but you can bet your last dollar that if Price called him today for help he would drive across the earth to do so, because of the relationship that was built on and off the football field.

My advice to everybody, let this situation go away out of respect for the kids, they are hurting enough. And to the SMHS faithful; support your kids and Coaches because they deserve it! But if you decide that Price needs to leave, Coffee County Fans would Love to have him back!!!

• Upvote 2

Coach Price did make him out to be a top prospect before the season even started, IMO it was based on obvious factors, just look at him. But there isn't any way he could have known if he could play or not. Go look at the stats from the first 4 games, I really didn't see him do much. As a matter of fact I often saw him getting pulled out for mistakes. The last couple of games it looked like he started to get things. Still made mistakes on D, but was getting better. Guess that's what should have been expected from a kid that hadn't played.

As for the Cleveland jersey call Slaughter and ask him. I know he has a very close relative that is a top prospect playing for Cleveland, they share the same last name. But he never went to school there. Maybe he was considering it at one time I have no idea. I'm really not sure why this is important.

There is nothing in the TSSAA by laws that would allow for immediate reinstatement, in fact, it clearly states that when reinstated, he would have to sit out the same number of games that he played as ineligible (6). It's a hard lesson learned, but when SM joined the TSSAA they did agree to abide by the by-laws and TSSAA provides ample opportunity for training and an excellent staff on hand to assist schools with just such procedures. If I were SM administrators I would take a hard look at other athletes who have had hardship or NCLB transfers to ensure similar "mistakes" haven't been made that would endanger their eligibility in other sports.