Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

Oh. I completely understand that he was granted a hardship by the HCDE to attend SMMHS as part of NCLB rules for failing/passing schools. What I don't see is how you think that makes him automatically elegible to play a sport. NCLB and TSSAA are not connected. If the administration at SMMHS had applied to TSSAA for a hardship, it would most likely have been granted and all would be well. School zones are established by the BOE and are not changed on an individual student basis. The hardship is merely permission to attend a school outside of a student's zone. The zone didn't change and I'd bet you any ammount of money that you want to wager that the hardship application submitted by the parents to the HCDE did not include any mention of football or athletic competition. They wanted a better educational opportunity for their son.

Do you realize how many very good athletes live in the zone of failing schools across the state? If a BOE hardship is all that it takes to make a kid eligible for athletic competition.. wow!!!

Football can open educational opportunities after high school that are otherwise unavailable, often football and education go hand in hand.

Wow, parents get to go to the TSSAA meeting, that's great!!! I can't wait to go to the next one and let them know what their mission says it is, because somewhere they lost their way. :thumb:

The only part of your message that's true is your unsure emoticon. It takes a true Simpleton to fabricate all of this.

Boy your good....I did not say a parent was at the meeting........but im sure some of them have kids,so that would make them parents......so there you go :roflol:

Edited by lancer10

Yes they reassigned him to SM. they didn't change all of Brainerd to SM territory.Brainerd is Ooltewah territory..........they assign him to go to school not play sports.....how hard is that for you to understand.................. Way did he not go to Ooltewah his hardship didn't have anything to do with them,

Now lancer it's about time you came to see the light. So Brainerd is Ooltewah territory, please explain. After all hasn't the argument from you and so many been a hardship doesn't change the territory of the school? Looks like you understand it does.

Have been close to this program from day one and have NEVER heard any frustration about out of zone kids. This is a true team of brothers that exemplifies what unselfishness looks like. You may not know what that looks like, but I see it in action everyday, very proud of ALL these boys. Had to be said, now y'all can commence with the crap... :thumb:

Plural huh? Dang. How many more you got up there fellow? :rolleyes:

Did you ever think since little Johnny, delivered by midwife on the little hill near Georgia, who was collecting splinters every Friday night, parents might NOT say anything since his derriere wood collection had accumulated a cord of wood; therefore filing negative bow shots to that Price man would have resulted in him forever being labeled as the teammate who wore a jersey but never played due to recent hardship D1 additions?

It looks like a duck. It quacks like a duck. It waddles like a duck. It is a dang duck! You know it. I know it. And, that Childress man knows it too! :oops:

Oh. I completely understand that he was granted a hardship by the HCDE to attend SMMHS as part of NCLB rules for failing/passing schools. What I don't see is how you think that makes him automatically elegible to play a sport. NCLB and TSSAA are not connected. If the administration at SMMHS had applied to TSSAA for a hardship, it would most likely have been granted and all would be well. School zones are established by the BOE and are not changed on an individual student basis. The hardship is merely permission to attend a school outside of a student's zone. The zone didn't change and I'd bet you any ammount of money that you want to wager that the hardship application submitted by the parents to the HCDE did not include any mention of football or athletic competition. They wanted a better educational opportunity for their son.

Do you realize how many very good athletes live in the zone of failing schools across the state? If a BOE hardship is all that it takes to make a kid eligible for athletic competition.. wow!!!

I agree completely with the sentence in bold. Sports doesn't have anything to do with a hardship being approved or denied. It has to do with assigning the student to the school that best meets the needs for the basis of the hardship application. In this case HCDE determined that school to be SM. They took a kid that moved into the Hamilton County School District from another District in another State and determined SM would be the best place for him to attend. And again sports wasn't a factor and I have never said it was. But it seems like so many on here have tried to make it out to be sports.

What I have said is that since he was assigned to us by the HCDE he becomes part of our territory. As long as he meets all the other requirements for eligibility and he did he should be allowed to participate in athletics.

Let me ask you this question. Brainerd just went on the failing list, it has been paired with other schools. Are the students that left Brainerd to attend the other schools eligible to participate this year if they participated last year at Brainerd?

There are over 1,000 hardship students in Hamilton County alone. Couldn't tell you if any are fat, slow or uncoordinated.

Just to clarify, the question was referring specifically to Signal Mountain HS. I think even the folks defending SM really know deep down that if this kid were not an excellent football player it is highly unlikely (not saying impossible)that he would be attending school there.

Let me ask you this question. Brainerd just went on the failing list, it has been paired with other schools. Are the students that left Brainerd to attend the other schools eligible to participate this year if they participated last year at Brainerd?

Not unless they had a bonafide change of address or applied to TSSAA for hardship. Can't you understand how simple it is? NCLB failing/passing schools have nothing to do with athletic elegibility from the TSSAA. Being legally able to switch schools because it is failing to meet AYP per NCLB doesn't automatically make players eligible for athletic competition. If I were a coach at a passing school that had kids transferring in, you can bet I'd be requesting hardship transfers for all of them just to be safe. You would think that people from Signal would have been as careful. :unsure:

Edited by PurpleGrad