MBA vs. McCallie

rollbigred1

• Horse Collar Tackle (Mc)
  • Offensive Face Mask (MBA)
  • Roughing the Passer (MBA)
  • Leading with Head (Mc)
  • Offensive Pass Inteference (Mc)
  • 12 on the Field (MBA)

Many questionable calls - and an unusual allowing of MBA to accept a penalty after they declined it (offensive PI).

After MBA called two straight timeouts trying to ice the McCallie kicker, the refs decided to measure for a first down (after a MBA penalty) when it was second down and 4.5 seconds left. They could have measured during one of the two timeouts and it didn't matter in the least. They essentially gave MBA a third timeout to ice Rocha. Although I think he misses the kick anyway.

Bad officiating (with no due respect given).....

And to the McCallie fan yelling for an excessive celebration penalty who responded "good" when I explained the MBA kid was injured after scoring the game winning TD - you don't deserve to be a fan of The Blue Tornado - find another team to "cheer on".

Ok, you count 3 bad calls each way...that squares with what I've heard from MBA fans who saw the game. Inept, but not corrupt officials.

As to the "fan," sadly, we all have a few of them. Somewhere, we've lost perspective, very badly. This is still a children's recreational activity, albeit they tend to be awfully big children. Not sure how anyone can be happy when one of them is injured. I think that the pregame prayer used to have a civilizing effect on everybody. Of course, now I'm dating myself.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After MBA called two straight timeouts trying to ice the McCallie kicker, the refs decided to measure for a first down (after a MBA penalty) when it was second down and 4.5 seconds left. They could have measured during one of the two timeouts and it didn't matter in the least. They essentially gave MBA a third timeout to ice Rocha. Although I think he misses the kick anyway.

I haven't posted this season, but I'll break the cherry on this one.

I didn't follow the last seconds of that game with the anticipation of a measure being an issue the following day (so apologies in advance if I am missing something), but as best as memory serves...

Given that the MBA penalty occurred after the two timeouts, why in the world would officials measure during one of the two timeouts for a first down when the ball is several yards away from a first down? Are they supposed to anticipate during either the first or second timeout that MBA is going to commit a penalty that will put the ball in a measurable situation? I have seen measures occur when a ball is a yard-ish away from a first down marker, but several yards away? I am assuming the ball was at least several yards away from the first down during the timeouts, for if it were a yard or so away, I don't think even that crew would have been measuring for a first down after a five or ten yard penalty. I seem to recall the official showed the hands-close-together sign indicating the ball was inches away after measure, which implies the prior spot was several yards away and not a measurable situation at that point in the timeline.

While I don't think the first down measure mattered - McCallie was going to try for the FG regardless of whether or not a first down was made after the penalty - to retrospectively question why the officials didn't measure for a first down during one of the two timeouts seemingly has little to no merit. I would think that officials have some sort of obligation to measure for a first down on those close calls (yard-ish) regardless of game situation, but while I don't think that crew is reading the officials rulebook in its spare time, it may have shown some degree of knowledge of the rules on that one.

What game did you see? Perhaps you should refresh yourself with the stats (they are in the paper). It WAS a great game to watch.

I am not sure what BIG McCallie mistakes you are referring to, other than the missed field goal.

It was MBA mistakes that kept this game from blowing wide open. A questionable "roughing the passer" on third and long kept a McCallie drive alive that eventually scored. A fumble on the McCallie 5 yard line after a great series kept 7 off the board for the Big Red, add two more turnovers and you can see how the MBA mistakes added up. I am not even going to mention the seamingly endless drive killing penalties.

IMO this game should not have been close, the MBA talent is there and was shown last night.

McCallie is a great place to play, classy coaches and players, great fans, and top notch facilities. Congratulations on coming home with the Win.

I was watching the same game as you, I agree the MBA talent is there and it has been there all year, but as you so clearly pointed out "MBA mistakes" what is your point? That if we didnt make so many mistakes we would have had a much bigger win, ok. So I will repeat, the talent was there, has always been there on the field all year, but so have the mistakes. I am not taking away the fact that they won, that is awesome, but this is not the only game they have won this year. This game should have been a much bigger win, you take the same team that played last night and put them up against Ensworth or BA and you have the same results that we had when we played them the first time.

I haven't posted this season, but I'll break the cherry on this one.

I didn't follow the last seconds of that game with the anticipation of a measure being an issue the following day (so apologies in advance if I am missing something), but as best as memory serves...

Given that the MBA penalty occurred after the two timeouts, why in the world would officials measure during one of the two timeouts for a first down when the ball is several yards away from a first down? Are they supposed to anticipate during either the first or second timeout that MBA is going to commit a penalty that will put the ball in a measurable situation? I have seen measures occur when a ball is a yard-ish away from a first down marker, but several yards away? I am assuming the ball was at least several yards away from the first down during the timeouts, for if it were a yard or so away, I don't think even that crew would have been measuring for a first down after a five or ten yard penalty. I seem to recall the official showed the hands-close-together sign indicating the ball was inches away after measure, which implies the prior spot was several yards away and not a measurable situation at that point in the timeline.

While I don't think the first down measure mattered - McCallie was going to try for the FG regardless of whether or not a first down was made after the penalty - to retrospectively question why the officials didn't measure for a first down during one of the two timeouts seemingly has little to no merit. I would think that officials have some sort of obligation to measure for a first down on those close calls (yard-ish) regardless of game situation, but while I don't think that crew is reading the officials rulebook in its spare time, it may have shown some degree of knowledge of the rules on that one.

Blame it on selective memory, and I am glad you pointed this out. You are exactly right...the officials measured for the first down after the MBA penalty - and in a totally different situation than when the two timeouts were called.

I misremembered.....sorry.

Blame it on selective memory, and I am glad you pointed this out. You are exactly right...the officials measured for the first down after the MBA penalty - and in a totally different situation than when the two timeouts were called.

I have to disagree with part of your statement - "McCallie is a great place to play, classy coaches and players, great fans, and top notch facilities." Classy players????....Oh come on...since when is it classy to go through the line after the game, refuse to shake hands and curse the winning players?

Well I reckon we will just have to call that conduct unbecoming. While it is no excuse, I would offer that some young gentlemen had just been handed a tough loss and might have been experiencing some difficulties in dealing with that loss. If you would like to provide the #'s of those in question I would be happy to pass them along to those that can address the issue and provide them some counseling in how to better conduct themselves in these situations. I did not witness the line handshake I was busy sweeping out the concession stand. I apologize to any MBA players who were offended.

Upon further contemplation, I don't need #'s, I will just pass along the report of less than honorable behavior and maybe the whole team could use a little counseling.

Yes it is a little sad because some of these boys are friends and compete against each other in other sports. Surely they will see each other later in life too. I am not saying MBA's squads always upholds their part of the Gentleman, S and A, but Friday it was a little "chippy" in the line after the game. I would not turn anyone's number in to anyone, but parents and coaches set the example, hopefully players follow. Also the refs could have done a better job of establishing the tone for the game. Food for the TSSAA to chew on.

It often takes time in the journey of life to find your spirit. MBA had been staring into the abyss the entire year and for the first time saw their own reflection. Friday night,for the first and only time this year, they got mad and turned it up three or four notches with the seniors stepping up. This made the difference.

The first half was the typical MBA non spirited country club team performance with the exception of Simonis who made some very outstanding athletic plays, both running and passing, that kept MBA in the game. The officials began to lose control of the game and its tempo with numerous huddles and all the calls against MBA.

The third quarter ran as usual heading to a loss, and with four minutes left, was blown by McCallie when they missed two wide open receivers on two plays for certain touchdowns. After continued MBA sportsmanship penalties, the defense got angry and stepped up in a refreshing run which has been missing all year. The late MBA fumble at the five was critical as well as the end zone pitch/fumble and the interception on the wheel route which kept McCallie close.

The officiating crew made numerous blunders which is clear on the film. I am not going to discuss all of them. The roughing the McCallie quarterback was blown. Simonis, after a great run, was hit at the five of McCallie and rolled over a player and landed at the two and a half yard line and the ball was spotted at the seven. The interference call on Beckner was the worst call of the game.

The crew did get the horsecollar call in the endzone correct as well as 12 men on the field on the field goal attempt. The McCallie kicker is a good player and his troubles started when he hit the low hook on the kickoff which was repeated on the field goal. It is the old addage that you can talk to a fade but a hook will not listen.

Some subscribe to the saying that the darkest hour is just before dawn. The truth is that the darkest hour is just before total blackness. Perhaps the seniors have now realized for the first time this year the intensity, strength and courage to close a game and the darkest hour may have passed, at least for now.

It often takes time in the journey of life to find your spirit. MBA had been staring into the abyss the entire year and for the first time saw their own reflection. Friday night,for the first and only time this year, they got mad and turned it up three or four notches with the seniors stepping up. This made the difference.

The first half was the typical MBA non spirited country club team performance with the exception of Simonis who made some very outstanding athletic plays, both running and passing, that kept MBA in the game. The officials began to lose control of the game and its tempo with numerous huddles and all the calls against MBA.

The third quarter ran as usual heading to a loss, and with four minutes left, was blown by McCallie when they missed two wide open receivers on two plays for certain touchdowns. After continued MBA sportsmanship penalties, the defense got angry and stepped up in a refreshing run which has been missing all year. The late MBA fumble at the five was critical as well as the end zone pitch/fumble and the interception on the wheel route which kept McCallie close.

The officiating crew made numerous blunders which is clear on the film. I am not going to discuss all of them. The roughing the McCallie quarterback was blown. Simonis, after a great run, was hit at the five of McCallie and rolled over a player and landed at the two and a half yard line and the ball was spotted at the seven. The interference call on Beckner was the worst call of the game.

The crew did get the horsecollar call in the endzone correct as well as 12 men on the field on the field goal attempt. The McCallie kicker is a good player and his troubles started when he hit the low hook on the kickoff which was repeated on the field goal. It is the old addage that you can talk to a fade but a hook will not listen.

Some subscribe to the saying that the darkest hour is just before dawn. The truth is that the darkest hour is just before total blackness. Perhaps the seniors have now realized for the first time this year the intensity, strength and courage to close a game and the darkest hour may have passed, at least for now.

are you taking a writing class?

Yes it is a little sad because some of these boys are friends and compete against each other in other sports. Surely they will see each other later in life too. I am not saying MBA's squads always upholds their part of the Gentleman, S and A, but Friday it was a little "chippy" in the line after the game. I would not turn anyone's number in to anyone, but parents and coaches set the example, hopefully players follow. Also the refs could have done a better job of establishing the tone for the game. Food for the TSSAA to chew on.

I always preferred it when the handshakes were spontaneous, and genuine, instead of a line everyone was expected to pass through.