2011 TN Titans Mr Football Ballot: Kicker of the Year

CoachT

Through 8 games this year Farragut's Jonathan King has hit on 9 of 13 field goals. He has connected from 21, 28, 33, 40, 45, 48, 49, 50 and 51 yards. His misses were from 32, 46 and 51 yards with a 40 yard attempt blocked. His 21 career field goals are a school record as is his career long of 52 yards. His field goals have often come at pivotal times, as Jonathan was good from 49 yards on the final play of the first half vs. Oak Ridge, was good from 40 yards on the final play of the first half vs. Knoxville Catholic, was good from 50 yards on the next-to-last play of the first half vs. Knoxville West and, later in that game, hit from 33 yards with 58 seconds remaining to give Farragut a 6 point cushion. I should also note that his career best 52 yarder came on the final play of the first half in last year's opening round playoff contest at Sevier County. He missed his first PAT 2 weeks ago and is now 52 of 53 for his career (20 of 21 this year). In 2011 32 of Jonathan's 38 kickoffs have resulted in touchbacks, and he has 74 touchbacks for his career. He is averaging 38.2 yards on 26 punts this year, 12 of which have been marked inside the 20. Jonathan's net average is 35.4, the difference due almost entirely to punts that have carried into the endzone, as only 1 of his punts has been returned. His long this year is 53 yards (twice), while his career long is 63 yards - and, make no mistake, these were not of the "friendly roll" variety. In addition, on the opening play of the 2nd half against Knoxville West Jonathan recovered his own perfectly executed onside kick.

He is the best kicker that we (Maryville) have seen this year. He made 2 long field goals last night accounting for all of Farraguts scoring. All 3 kickoffs were touchbacks...at least 2 through the endzone. His punts had good distance and hangtime...no returns last night. After the half, he was making 60 yd fieldgoals during warmup.

Since there are three kickers from all classes combined there is only one thread on the message boards for this nomination.

Who do you suggest I put on the ballot? I can vote for up to three players in the category for the Mr. Football Kicker of the Year. Place-kickers and Punters are eligible for selection as the Kicker of the Year. There will be only three finalists for the award, regardless of classification. So please keep in mind that a kicker from any school may be nominated.

Mr

Negative comments do not work in this thread. This is the time to tell us who IS deserving, not who is not. This thread is for kickers only.

Caleb Houston (6'2",205 lb), senior punter from Walker Vally HS(Cleveland)is having an incredible year. Currently leading the greater Chattanooga area with 42.8 yds per kick. Other stats: 10/28 inside the 20 (incl 5 inside 10); 7 punts of 50+ (incl 2 of 60+); long of 69; only 5 punts have been returned for yardage through game 8; college-level hand-to-foot time. This week, against Bradley, he had 48 yd and 65 yd punts (although he only received credit for 53 yds on the second one as it glanced off the returner for another 12 yds). Both were in the air. His resume includes Game 6 Captain D's Player of the Game, ESPNU Top 100 Kicker, 10th ranked punter nationally per Prokicker.com, 4.5 star prospect/30th ranked punter nationally per Kohl's Kicking; finished 18th of approx 180 at the Kohl's National Invitational Scholarship Camp this Summer. He has also received interest correspondence from 15 schools so far. He also threw a 68 yd TD on a fake punt against Soddy Daisy. Caleb has had quite a bit of press in the Cleveland market but because his team is 0-8 on the year, most of the rest of the state hasn't heard of him. However, colleges are very aware! His mid-season highlights can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWOn3VSGv4w. Great academics as well and outstanding citizen.

I agree on nominating Caleb Houston, the Senior punter from Walker Valley. I believe the Chattanooga Times Free Press shows him leading the Chattanooga area in punting by a few yards. Last week, the Bradley crowd 'gasped' out loud on his first booming punt. I think it went over 50 yards in the air and probably would have rolled for 20 more yards if Bradley's returner didn't try to catch it. On the 2nd punt, Bradley coaches were telling the returner to scoot back and he still had to run back after he punted it. I have attended at least one game every weekend for the last several years and he is by far the most dominant punter I have seen. I also attend every UT home game, and I would almost guarantee he is averaging more yards than UT's "#1 in the nation" punting recruits (Palardy and Darr). I guess that should be on another thread (haha!)

Landon Foster is hands down the best kicker/punter in Tennessee. Had three punts inside the 3 yard line against Franklin and every kick=off has been a touchback. Not sure on his field goal stats but he hasn't missed more than one or two. Watching this kid is amazing hes is the best kicker I have ever seen at the high school level.

• Upvote 1