Brint Russell resignsb

newHHSera

Coach Brint Russell announced to his team today after practice that he has resigned and will not return next year but will coach the last game.

who will come in next and take on the challenge of trying to turn this program around.

it will be a big task for anyone.

at least when russell took over he had winning freshman and jv squads to look forward too.

since he has taken over he has basically killed that part of the program off completely.

i would like to see the new coach convince coach leatherwood to come back and coach the freshman again.

it has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

coaches in the area who i feel MAY apply for the job would be.

Shane Rewis - former HHS D-coordinator

Scott Meadows - if he is fired

Adam Hendricks - Current HHS O-coordinator

Coach Reeves former karns coach and former heritage assistant

thats the only names that come to mind from the immediate area.

any comments or suggestions?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a surprise. Turning around the program at Heritage is a daunting task for any coach. With the history of losing and the culture it creates this is one of the most difficult jobs in the area. The presence of nearby powerhouse programs at Maryville and Alcoa add to the challenge.

Coach Russell worked hard to get things moving in the right direction and did some good things. I respect his willingness to tackle the challenge at Heritage. He's a good coach who will find success in the right situation.

Where Heritage goes next is an interesting question. This is certainly not an attractive position for a quality coach who has options. It's going to take someone special if HHS wants to do more than just continue to struggle year after year.

Personally, I would try to go get someone young that could communicate with these kids, and someone that had been in a winning program and knew what it takes to win. Maybe Sweetland, from Farragut, has definitely been a winner on the field and as an asst. I would not hire any of the current coordinators as there has been next to no success with them on the staff, what would make you think that they could turn it around. I definitely would not even think about hiring Meadows, for obvious reasons. They had a good, young football mind there in Brandon Waters and let him get away, maybe they should try to get him back, but don't know if he is ready for HC or not. This is a tough job and don't see it doing anything but getting tougher in the near future.

Oh I agree. I'm not saying any Of those coaches should get hired. Just that they would apply. As far as Brandon goes I would love to have him back. But he has expressed many times he doesn't have the desire to be a head coach. He loves running the weight room for all sports and working with offensive lineman to develop their skills. And doesn't want to lose focus on that.

Coach Brint Russell announced to his team today after practice that he has resigned and will not return next year but will coach the last game.

who will come in next and take on the challenge of trying to turn this program around.

it will be a big task for anyone.

at least when russell took over he had winning freshman and jv squads to look forward too.

since he has taken over he has basically killed that part of the program off completely.

i would like to see the new coach convince coach leatherwood to come back and coach the freshman again.

it has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

coaches in the area who i feel MAY apply for the job would be.

Shane Rewis - former HHS D-coordinator

Scott Meadows - if he is fired

Adam Hendricks - Current HHS O-coordinator

Coach Reeves former karns coach and former heritage assistant

thats the only names that come to mind from the immediate area.

any comments or suggestions?

You absolutely do NOT want Coach Reeves as your head coach. He will make the program worse because of his attitude and the way he treats his players.

You absolutely do NOT want Coach Reeves as your head coach. He will make the program worse because of his attitude and the way he treats his players.

WOW Presby28 you got that 1000% right, just take a look while he was at Karns we went 6 and 24 and lost allot of players that may have stayed through the HVA start up, his defense at Clinton can't stop water, HHS do your self a favor and mark that name OFF your list.

Personally, I would try to go get someone young that could communicate with these kids, and someone that had been in a winning program and knew what it takes to win. Maybe Sweetland, from Farragut, has definitely been a winner on the field and as an asst. I would not hire any of the current coordinators as there has been next to no success with them on the staff, what would make you think that they could turn it around. I definitely would not even think about hiring Meadows, for obvious reasons. They had a good, young football mind there in Brandon Waters and let him get away, maybe they should try to get him back, but don't know if he is ready for HC or not. This is a tough job and don't see it doing anything but getting tougher in the near future.

I don't see Sweetland leaving Farragut for Heritage. He has turned down few other offers from much better programs. I wish Heritage much luck in finding a new head coach, hopefully they find the right guy.