Region 7

werazzlin

Ummmmm on the TSSAA website in the TSSAA 2011-2012 Handbook, it specifically explains what DEADTIME is on page 27. If you look on page 31, you will see that a coach CANNOT start interacting with his wrestlers until the Monday of the week of Nov 1st. I know what I am talking about. I think a phone call to the TSSAA tomorrow will get this all hammered out. Thanks for making me want to get this clarified in my mind so that I know that some kids didn't get jerked around by playing by the RULES!

First, Congrats to Beech. Beech just out wrestled Dickson. Second, the rules were broke in this preseason tourney. What are these coaches teaching these kids that it is ok to break the rules if it favors you or your team? Why should a kid or a team suffer from obeying the rules? Personally, I don't understand all the rules, but a rule is a rule and SHOULD be obeyed (no matter how big or little). I am personally glad that my local high school coach would not participate in something that was against the rules!!!!

This tournament occurred on Saturday Oct 15th 2011, which IS in the DEAD period where coaches CANNOT coach their wrestlers. As far as me doing something about it, I'm not a Coach. I have to learn things by asking ALOT of questions. And I am not taking anything away from any Beech wrestler, but if they were led astray, and got some extra help before everyone else, it kinda gives them an advantage.It is my understanding that "Official" practice....where coaches were allowed to have contact with, and actually coach their wrestlers, was on Monday October 31, 2011 according to the TSSAA. If I am wrong on this, then I have been given the wrong information. Rules are rules.....no matter how big or small. If someone willingly broke a TSSAA rule, and knew they were doing so, or they saw someone break a rule and did nothing about it. The rule was still broken. I'm in the clear on this one.....I am not a coach and half the rules don't make sense to me. I don't see how referees can call the top man for stalling while the bottom man just lays there with his arms tucked doing nothing...but it happens.

It wasn't just Beech involved in this little cluster of Coaches involved at that tournament that agreed "no harm, no foul".

If rules don't apply to every situation, then why have Refs or coaches? Just send two kids to the mat and the one that can walk away is the winner. Rules are there for a reason.......especially so that no wrestler or team has an advantage over another. That's why there is a specific date where coaches can interact with their wrestlers.

August 22, 2011-October 30, 2011 Wrestlers are permitted to weight train, conditions and use open facilities. This includes and permits them to participate in OPEN tournaments on an individual basis. Coaches are not permitted to "coach" but ARE ALLOWED to serve in a supervisory capacity role.

The tournament you are referencing was a "free play" pre-season warm up event. Under the letter of the rule coaches were permitted to be at the event, just not allowed to coach. COACHING means... offering instruction, teaching or direction... this was not done or allowed. A large number of individuals that attended the event are not even coaches, but former wrestlers and supports of various programs. Coaches did not coach their individual teams and NO ONE was in violation of the rules.

DEAD PERIOD is not a "CATCH ALL" term. DEAD PERIOD is what is says... DEAD! NO COACHING, NO OBSERVING or CONTACT. What you are attempting to apply here ... doesn't apply!

http://tssaa.org/Handbook/2011WrCalendar.pdf

NO ONE violated any rules here. I'm not a coach... not a parent... but I was at this event supporting the kids. Get over yourself, learn the rules and come back when you want to talk about wrestling and what really matters. There is one thing that I've always loved about wrestling... you can talk whatever talk you want, you can blame whomever you want but the facts are this... if you don't bring it to the mat when the time comes... you'll go back home crying.

August 22, 2011-October 30, 2011 Wrestlers are permitted to weight train, conditions and use open facilities. This includes and permits them to participate in OPEN tournaments on an individual basis. Coaches are not permitted to "coach" but ARE ALLOWED to serve in a supervisory capacity role.

The tournament you are referencing was a "free play" pre-season warm up event. Under the letter of the rule coaches were permitted to be at the event, just not allowed to coach. COACHING means... offering instruction, teaching or direction... this was not done or allowed. A large number of individuals that attended the event are not even coaches, but former wrestlers and supports of various programs. Coaches did not coach their individual teams and NO ONE was in violation of the rules.

DEAD PERIOD is not a "CATCH ALL" term. DEAD PERIOD is what is says... DEAD! NO COACHING, NO OBSERVING or CONTACT. What you are attempting to apply here ... doesn't apply!

NO ONE violated any rules here. I'm not a coach... not a parent... but I was at this event supporting the kids. Get over yourself, learn the rules and come back when you want to talk about wrestling and what really matters. There is one thing that I've always loved about wrestling... you can talk whatever talk you want, you can blame whomever you want but the facts are this... if you don't bring it to the mat when the time comes... you'll go back home crying.

Well i was at that tournament and YES the COACHES were COACHING their teams. I have video proof of this!!!!

Well i was at that tournament and YES the COACHES were COACHING their teams. I have video proof of this!!!!

The TSSAA office is not hard to locate. I'm sure the coaches

know the rules and followed them. The Beech program has been

getting better because they are going the extra mile for the

kids. They are not going to the duals because they violated

a rule. They are going because they beat Dickson County.

If you have proof, and were aware of a violation in October, why didn't you report it three months ago? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

First, I am not sour about anything. Second, I did not report it because I am not a narc. I mention this because someone else brought it up. I am sure the coaches knew the rules, but it was a time when the coaches were not suppose to be coaching their kids, but did it anyways. Congrats to Beech for out wrestling Dickson to make it to state. I am not sour about anything I just know what happened because I was there and also have it on tape!

This has gotten silly. There's so many other things we could be talking about in Region 7.

I just wanted to say it was a wonderful experience coaching against the coaches in region 7. I sincerely hope that our teams do well as usual in the region and state tournaments. Congrats on your year so far. Go region 7!