10AA Basketball

coachrus

...With their size, it seems they would be better served with full court pressure, then switching to a zone-trapping D after the opponent gets past halfcourt...

Nice little theory when coaching from the stands. Have you ever implemented that type of system successfully or know of a coach who has (because off the top of my head I can’t think of one)? Maybe it is a lack of understanding on my part of what you are describing and you need to provide more detail. If you are going to apply trapping pressure you either choose some type of full court back to your base defense. Or you choose some type of half court trap. Combining the two puts a team too much into scramble mode and good teams would eventually pick it apart for too many easy baskets. CPA normally chooses a 2-2-1 full court pressure back to base. Or on the half court they show a regular zone and begin attacking/trapping once the dribbler comes across half court. IMO their defensive lapses are not related to the need to choose the type of system you are recommending.

Nice little theory when coaching from the stands. Have you ever implemented that type of system successfully or know of a coach who has (because off the top of my head I can’t think of one)? Maybe it is a lack of understanding on my part of what you are describing and you need to provide more detail. If you are going to apply trapping pressure you either choose some type of full court back to your base defense. Or you choose some type of half court trap. Combining the two puts a team too much into scramble mode and good teams would eventually pick it apart for too many easy baskets. CPA normally chooses a 2-2-1 full court pressure back to base. Or on the half court they show a regular zone and begin attacking/trapping once the dribbler comes across half court. IMO their defensive lapses are not related to the need to choose the type of system you are recommending.

kbrks - Interesting comments. I would be interested in how your think the district "stacks up" at this point in the year? If you were to predict, where do you think the teams will finish the year in the standings?

I can’t agree with that statement since it certainly doesn’t provide any validity for the value of practice. There is definitely a transition from the football field to the basketball court that only time can solve. Assuming Maplewood has football players expected to make significant contributions on the basketball court there is a little more to it than having your football players back for one or two days after football season is over. Different type of conditioning and different type of skill set, skills that need practice. That is not to take anything away from Lipscomb, a great early season win for their team. Everyone knows the type of basketball tradition they possess. One of the reasons they are so well respected is they have a way of beating teams that surprises others. Plus, their system has always been a good match-up for Maplewood’s system. Basketball is a game of match-ups, both player and system.

All good points, which is why I used the word "might". I still think it was a significant victory for Lipscomb and improves their outlook in 10AA at this time. All this may change over time.

kbrks - Interesting comments. I would be interested in how your think the district "stacks up" at this point in the year? If you were to predict, where do you think the teams will finish the year in the standings?

Sure, for what it is worth. Similar to last year, not much parity from top to bottom. Last year there were three distinct tiers; a top, middle and bottom. The bottom had no real chance to beat the top. The middle could be somewhat competitive, but not going to beat the top. If memory serves me correctly the top 3 were 6-0 vs. the bottom 3 and 5-1 vs. the middle teams. This year the question is can Lipscomb and Whites Creek make enough progress to make it a two tier system – a top half and bottom half. As you noted, CPA is the most talented with two Division I top 25 type players and Lindsey considered a high major. Other teams have good players, but I have yet to hear if any are being identified as Division I (maybe the Maplewood guard?) so this gives CPA a tremendous advantage. Bradshaw and Lindsey’s skills and size for their positions make them a tough match-up. An opponent is going to need players with athleticism and size to have a chance of defending those two. Add to that a strong supporting cast for a high school team, presently 9-10 deep. The strength of their system is the offensive pressure they apply by getting the ball up quickly with long outlets and long passes up the sideline after makes and misses. If opponents not ready to transition quickly from offense to defense after makes and misses, CPA will beat them down the floor all night. This allows them to use their quickness to isolate one on one type advantages before a team has a chance to get their team defense set. Bradshaw is unselfish and sees the floor well and is the “engine that makes this team go.†Other perimeters like Bonds and Wharton also see the floor well and move the ball quickly. Opponents are going to have to learn how to minimize that effect and get their defense set which won’t be easy, but is possible. They are the favorite and on paper should run the table, though the games are not played on paper. They continue to have systemic weaknesses, but could have enough talent and experience this year to overcome without actually correcting them. Teams with perimeter athleticism and quickness, who many not have the interior strength to match up, will need to get themselves in position to win, then control the game with their athleticism and quickness. That is not easy for those types of teams, since they don’t normally play that way. Lipscomb will need to have at least enough talent to control the game with their system. I don’t think they do, but with them you never know, they have a way of surprising you.

Barring injuries my best guess for the regular season: 1 – CPA, tie for 2 – East Lit. & Maplewood, 4 – Lipscomb, 5 – Whites Creek, 6 – MLK, 7 – Cohn, 8 – Stratford, 9 – Hume

What I find interesting is MLK being more of a middle of the pack team for some time now. I know for most teams it goes in cycles, but this is a particularly long one for a team with such a strong basketball tradition. In 05-06 when Robinson was a junior they were loaded and in 06-07 they had Robinson and a strong enough supporting class. Since then though, middle of the pack, not the same type of marquee players. They do have one sweet 16 appearance during this time, but I think they were a sub .500 team who put together a nice playoff run ( an outstanding achievement for that team) in a year when the district was down somewhat. Not a criticism, merely an observation.

You may be right, but you can’t expect a team that is undefeated to be ranked lower than a team it defeated. It never has and never will work that way.

The ranking is fair. They beat CPA and should be ranked higher because of it. It's just encouraging to know that CPA is very capable of beating them with Craig and others back.

CPA beat East Lit Friday night 80-73. I was very impressed with the speed and quickness of East Lit. They shot lights out the first half and had an 8 point lead mid way through the third quarter. They graduated some of thier big inside guys from last year but offset that with their quickness and outside shooting.

The Tennessean has CPA on top of the District 10-AA with a 3-0 record. They also have Lipscomb with a 3-1 district record, but I thought DL was undefeated in the district play. Anyone know who they lost to?

Thanks. For some reason I am having a difficult time findng complete scores and standing information on District 10-AA. The Coach T information is incomplete. Any other sources out there for 10-AA scores?

Try the Tennessean

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/section/Nashville?site=DN

you can look up standings, schedules and scores by district as reported to paper. Still might not be 100% accurate.

After the Stratford game tonight, CPA heads to Louisville for the King of the Bluegrass Holiday Classic. Ten of the top 25 ranked Kentucky teams are playing as well as Memphis White Station and Orange Lutheran of CA who is ranked in the top forty nationally.

CPA plays Pleasure Ridge Park(ranked #6 in KY) on Saturday and either Rowan Co.(ranked #5 in KY) or Organge Lutheran on Monday.

Article in Louisville Courier here http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20111215/SPORTS05/312150087/1031/sports/King-Bluegrass-Fairdale-PRP?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp