1A and 2A First round Byes

JungleJim125

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you 1A and 2A fans think about the first round bye? Personally imo unless your team has alot of injuries that need healing i think it sinks. Sometimes it takes ole mo away from some teams. It hurts alot of teams especially if they playing well a week off can just kill them! What do you think?

I agree.

That is my biggest concern for Huntingdon in week 2. They were sluggish in the first half against Dresden after a week off. However, if the team they play does not take advantage of that at the start of the game, the fresh legs will run away with it.

A team that has been dealt alot of injuries could really benefit from a Bye week. It has good and bad points. Here is some better questions for everyone.

Who is the best team playing in week 1 that didn't receive a bye week?

Who is the worst team that received a bye for week 1?

How would anyone know that.West Carrol has played Huntingdon and I'm sure some Double A schools as has Lake Co.Lake Co hasnt lost to any Single A teams.I'm sure it's that way in other districts.I'm sure South Pittsburg would roll off everyone 's mouth since they played bigger schools but who knows?I agree about the advantages and disadvantages.If injuries,helps some teams get well.But if a team plays,could also suffer a key injury a week before.Also gives a team a chance to scout live against their next opponent and see first hand instead of tape.

Edited by mrbigster

i hate the bye week. It is good if you are beat up and need the rest but other than that it makes it hard to keep the focus. Especially, if you get a bad draw and end up with a week 10 bye week as well. Adamsville played Mckenzie on the 21st and will not play again until the 11th. Talk about hurting ol mo.

Riverside was the beneficiary of no other 2a teams in their quad winning or placing second in their district, not their fault. The system is better than rewarding some teams in the past with only one win, but it has a lot of tweaking that needs to happen.

i hate the bye week. It is good if you are beat up and need the rest but other than that it makes it hard to keep the focus. Especially, if you get a bad draw and end up with a week 10 bye week as well. Adamsville played Mckenzie on the 21st and will not play again until the 11th. Talk about hurting ol mo.

Riverside was the beneficiary of no other 2a teams in their quad winning or placing second in their district, not their fault. The system is better than rewarding some teams in the past with only one win, but it has a lot of tweaking that needs to happen.

If I was an Adamsville fan I would be asking why we have a bye in week 10. This is the 3rd year of this format and Adamsville is good enough the last few years there was a decent chance they were gonna get a bye. Looks to me the coach would try to get that bye moved to week 7,8 or maybe 9? He may have tried, I don't know but to be off 2 consecutive weeks can be dangerous if you face a really good 2nd round team.

Holy cow, we agree on something again. I would add that I believe last years seeding system was superior to the one being used this season. Last years system would of had Riverside seeded slightly lower than what they are this year. I'd much rather seed teams based on the amount of wins and strength of schedule as opposed to seeding all #1's first, then the 2's, then the wildcards. Wildcards out of some districts are better teams than those who finished 2nd or 1st in other districts. As an example, who in their right minds think that Westwood (who got a bye in quad 4) and BTW (who is a #3 seed in the same quad after finishing second in 16A) are better teams than Dresden #5 and McKenzie #4 in the same quad?

If I was an Adamsville fan I would be asking why we have a bye in week 10. This is the 3rd year of this format and Adamsville is good enough the last few years there was a decent chance they were gonna get a bye. Looks to me the coach would try to get that bye moved to week 7,8 or maybe 9? He may have tried, I don't know but to be off 2 consecutive weeks can be dangerous if you face a really good 2nd round team.

bulldog, we have tried to get this moved ever since we drew it a few years ago. It happens to be our bye week for the district draw. We have tried to get someone in there for week 10 but cant get anybody that wants to schedule us. We did pick up mckenzie this year but could not work out the week 10 bye. It goes to this playoff system that rewards teams for wins not quality of their wins. That means a team like Adamsville that has had some success in recent years and is getting better each and every week has a hard time getting teams to play them. !a teams run and hide and most 2a teams say they will pass too. Even had one team tell our coach that they would drive by too many schools that they can play and get their tales beat by than drive that far to play us. This year we had to play up in class just to fill out the schedule. Not complaining because it will help us in the long run. We played 4a chester county, 4a Bolivar, 4A Mcnairy Central, 5a Hardin county for our non district games. Then we also added Mckenzie, who is always near the top in 2a football and Collinwood who is usually a pretty tough matchup. Scheduling is hard when teams will not play you because you are not an easy win.

One good thing about the layoff is most of these kids were on the team a couple of years ago and they have experienced this before. They are getting back to basics and working hard for their next game.

Riverside got a bye and only won 3 games this system is a joke.

No system since 1969 has made anyone happy. All of them have flaws.

I'd like to see a system where only the teams with winning records make it to the play-offs. FLAW: You would have less competition and more slaughter because coaches would be rewarded for scheduling less than par teams. So then, let's reward teams who have winning records who have played teams with winning records. FLAW: Some of those winning records come from playing teams with losing records.

Truth is, mathematically there is an impossibility of having 24 or 32 teams who are above .500, who in turn deserve those records for playing good solid teams who have "real winning seasons". No one really wants to "play up". I believe there are 41 - 1A teams in the TSSAA Football Classification.

We got to be happy. The real season begins on Monday. Because now everyone gets 5 weeks to play the best teams in the State.

bulldog, we have tried to get this moved ever since we drew it a few years ago. It happens to be our bye week for the district draw. We have tried to get someone in there for week 10 but cant get anybody that wants to schedule us. We did pick up mckenzie this year but could not work out the week 10 bye. It goes to this playoff system that rewards teams for wins not quality of their wins. That means a team like Adamsville that has had some success in recent years and is getting better each and every week has a hard time getting teams to play them. !a teams run and hide and most 2a teams say they will pass too. Even had one team tell our coach that they would drive by too many schools that they can play and get their tales beat by than drive that far to play us. This year we had to play up in class just to fill out the schedule. Not complaining because it will help us in the long run. We played 4a chester county, 4a Bolivar, 4A Mcnairy Central, 5a Hardin county for our non district games. Then we also added Mckenzie, who is always near the top in 2a football and Collinwood who is usually a pretty tough matchup. Scheduling is hard when teams will not play you because you are not an easy win.

One good thing about the layoff is most of these kids were on the team a couple of years ago and they have experienced this before. They are getting back to basics and working hard for their next game.

I do agree unless you are an easy win its hard to get someone to play you! In the Cards case something like Humboldt. Having to drive 3 hours to get your schedule filled. Maybe down the road Humboldt and Adamsville can get togather in regular season. That just might draw a big crowd!