Lenoir City @ Powell

dcnk

Lenoir City is a big football team up front. From LG-RG they go 334, 297, and 276. The tackles are only 215ish, but quick. Add WR Patrick, TB Hall, and the QB Jordan Hall to the mix, and they have some weapons on offense.

The one "downer" I see is that all 11 guys start both ways, so depth is definitely an issue.

Not taking this one for granted at all. Obviously common sense says that Powell is favored, but so were Columbia and Centennial - both at home - and both lost.

Like I said, I look for a tough football game on Friday night.

On Hendersonville and Beech - yep, they are border rivals. I spend a lot of time in that part of the state on business myself. Those two schools don't like each other very much. Honestly, I am shocked that they are both still alive. I thought that Beech had a pretty good draw with a chance to get this far, but Gallatin really laid an egg last week against Hendersonville, a team Gallatin had beaten 35-10 in week 7. Hendersonville beat Gallatin 28-7 last week. That's a 6 touchdown turnaround in a months time.

Depth may be an issue for LC, but it will not be because all 11 players paly both ways because they do not.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that LC has a linebacker that is supposed to be pretty good. Last name is West? What's he like?

Copeland West and Jordan Willis are the 2 inside LB's for LC. West is pretty big 6"1' 220 not that fast but has a high football IQ. Willis is the teams leading tackler 5"11' 210 and can fly to the football 4.65 guy.

Powell IMO is the 5A favorite, but Lenoir City are some giant killers. I see it being a good game, but in the end, LC's surprise run comes to an end.

Another thing. Dyshawn Mobley from Powell is an absolute freak. He is tearing defenses apart like he has been for the past few seasons. I don't understand why, to the best of my knowledge, UT isn't showing any interest. Wouldn't surprise me if he went somewhere else and was a wild success. Randall Cobb all over again. I mean UT is interested in Cody Blanc from Central..What can he do that Mobley can't? I'm no Powell fan, but the guy is sick.

Well, that was my little rant on that.

Powell - 38

Lenoir - 17

Quite simply Mobley doesn't have the grades to go to any major D1 schools. If his talents on the field would translate a little more towards the classroom then he probably would be wearing orange next year. Most D1 schools won't take that kind of risk especially one with very suspect character at best.

Quite simply Mobley doesn't have the grades to go to any major D1 schools. If his talents on the field would translate a little more towards the classroom then he probably would be wearing orange next year. Most D1 schools won't take that kind of risk especially one with very suspect character at best.

Do what? You don't have a clue. Dy'shawn already has a qualifying ACT score, and his core GPA is well above what he needs to pass through the clearinghouse. He will be a full qualifier.

Don't know where your information is coming from, but it is dead wrong.

Kentucky is a "major D1" school - it is an SEC school. The SEC is as "major" as one can get.

Do what? You don't have a clue. Dy'shawn already has a qualifying ACT score, and his core GPA is well above what he needs to pass through the clearinghouse. He will be a full qualifier.

Don't know where your information is coming from, but it is dead wrong.

Kentucky is a "major D1" school - it is an SEC school. The SEC is as "major" as one can get.

Don't know if it's the case now but at one time Kentucky's admission standards were higher than Tennessee's.

Don't know if it's the case now but at one time Kentucky's admission standards were higher than Tennessee's.

It still is, although UT's standards have risen in the last couple of years. Over the last few years, UK has been a tier higher than UT in the major college/university ratings. I am elated that UT is moving up, however.

The bottom line is that there is an NCAA minimum requirement for freshmen athletic eligibility for both the standardized test score (ACT or SAT are both acceptable) and core GPA. The Clearinghouse is an independent organization that verifies scores and that the grades were earned in classes that meet the requirments of particular academic disciplines.

Most D1-A football playing schools, with the exception of just a few - The 3 service academies - West Point, Annapolis, Air Force - Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, Cal come to mind right off - admit those athletes who successfully get though the Clearinghouse. Those schools mentioned require higher test scores than just the minimum Clearinghouse requirments. All of the SEC schools - yes, even Vandy - have student/athletes who have lower academic scores than the "non student/athlete incoming freshman average" tests scores/grades in their recruiting classes.

Bottom line: I am a UT supporter, have purchased tickets and donated to the VASF since 1983, but right now UT isn't the be all end all when it comes to college football. If one wants to get technical about it, UT is below Kentucky right now in the standings, which is pretty sad once you thing about it. A prospective student/athlete picking UT right now isn't the slam dunk that it once was. There are great opportunities at a lot of schools other than UT, too.

Edited by HTV

It still is, although UT's standards have risen in the last couple of years. Over the last few years, UK has been a tier higher than UT in the major college/university ratings. I am elated that UT is moving up, however.

The bottom line is that there is an NCAA minimum requirement for freshmen athletic eligibility for both the standardized test score (ACT or SAT are both acceptable) and core GPA. The Clearinghouse is an independent organization that verifies scores and that the grades were earned in classes that meet the requirments of particular academic disciplines.

Most D1-A football playing schools, with the exception of just a few - Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, Cal come to mind right off - admit those athletes who successfully get though the Clearinghouse. Those schools mentioned require higher test scores than just the minimum Clearinghouse requirments. All of the SEC schools - yes, even Vandy - have student/athletes who have lower academic scores than the "non student/athlete incoming freshman average" tests scores/grades in their recruiting classes.

Bottom line: I am a UT supporter, have purchased tickets and donated to the VASF since 1983, but right now UT isn't the be all end all when it comes to college football. If one wants to get technical about it, UT is below Kentucky right now in the standings, which is pretty sad once you thing about it. A prospective student/athlete picking UT right now isn't the slam dunk that it once was. There are great opportunities at a lot of schools other than UT, too.

UT should offer him. He hasn't been in trouble for over a year now. His conduct on the field is above reproach based on my admittedly piecemeal observation. But if he was going to act out I'd think it would be against AC ;) , and he hasn't. He just does a job. I mean that as a compliment. And it's rare for such a talent to conduct himself with such apparent humility on the field.