Can Maryville Win It Again?

GovMan

I think replacing Patton will be the huge task. David loses a "ton" of really, really good linemen but he has a way of reloading the o line every year. Running game will be top notch. Lose some senior receivers, but the Carrol kid and Winders + a few others will step up there.

Defensively, I know it will be hard to replace that secondary ... not sure about how many lb's graduate or d line.

Watched the freshmen team play several games, they were loaded. Still think replacing Robinette is the most daunting task. What do you all think? Garrett? Myers? Edmiston? young Vaught?

Garret...top QB to go through the Maryville system, at least since I have been paying attention. Needs to improve arm stength slightly but will be a competent and capable replacement.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching Maryville play twice now, I have to say that Riverdale may have something to say about that next year. If Riverdale would have had Woodruff at QB I think that outcome would have been much different. They are returning almost all there starting lineup next year and cant help but feel they will be highly motivated..

Yeah he would have probably made up those four touchdowns in one drive.

Yeah he would have probably made up those four touchdowns in one drive.

Plus Maryville playing their reserves all of the 4th quarter. What he fails to mention is that his replacement was solid. Does Woodruff catch his own passes? He would have had to if he could make up 4 TD's after observing the receiving corp drop a ton of passes.

After watching Maryville play twice now, I have to say that Riverdale may have something to say about that next year. If Riverdale would have had Woodruff at QB I think that outcome would have been much different. They are returning almost all there starting lineup next year and cant help but feel they will be highly motivated..

You have got to be kidding me. Riverdale had no chance of winning that game. Get over it.

It will be interesting to see what team GQ produces. That secondary was the best in MHS history. I was dead set on the 2007 team (class of '08:Douglas, Shiver, Burnette, and Clendenon) being the best ever, but after Saturday I believe this group was the best as a whole. 2007 had better players but 2012 played better together.

Edited by RebelMower

I talked to quite a few WB students that said they were making the trip. I know they like to talk a big game when they are playing each other, but when it come right down to it most of the kids have known and grown up together their entire lives. I love to see the support between the schools.

They were having a good time. It seems Cookeville High school has also adopted the Rebels.

Garret...top QB to go through the Maryville system, at least since I have been paying attention. Needs to improve arm stength slightly but will be a competent and capable replacement.

Wow... that ringing endorsement carries a lot of weight in my book cause I know you've been "paying attention" for quite a while. I've been impressed watching his running skills, haven't seen him throw it a whole lot.

You have got to be kidding me. Riverdale had no chance of winning that game. Get over it.

It will be interesting to see what team GQ produces. That secondary was the best in MHS history. I was dead set on the 2007 team (class of '08:Douglas, Shiver, Burnette, and Clendenon) being the best ever, but after Saturday I believe this group was the best as a whole. 2007 had better players but 2012 played better together.

I think you mentioned that you were c/o 2010 on the other thread, so I can understand this. But if you had seen the 2002, 1998, or even 2005 Rebel squads in action, you might be singing a different tune.

All three of those teams were tremendously dominant. As good as 2002 was, they could have been even better. It's scary to think about - their top QB (Rouse) missed the whole year after getting hurt in a scrimmage and TJ Brock was either kicked out/left school (can't remember now, getting old). And they still ran through the state.

2011 and 2007 were very, very good teams, but those 3 were just a cut above.

I think you mentioned that you were c/o 2010 on the other thread, so I can understand this. But if you had seen the 2002, 1998, or even 2005 Rebel squads in action, you might be singing a different tune.

All three of those teams were tremendously dominant. As good as 2002 was, they could have been even better. It's scary to think about - their top QB (Rouse) missed the whole year after getting hurt in a scrimmage and TJ Brock was either kicked out/left school (can't remember now, getting old). And they still ran through the state.

Fellers eye luv all our teems....Each and evur one haz hits own pursinality....Butt eye beeleeve this one iz tha best "D" along wif '05 that GQ haz haid....And thay haiv give up fewur points than enny GQ teem includin' 98....Eye thank this teem, '98, '02 haid tha best O-lines....Eye thank '05 haid tha best D-line....Along wif '98 and '02 and '06....Eye thank '07 haid tha best passin' wif Brent...along wif '06 and '99....Eye thank '01 haid tha best runnin baik tandem wif T.J and Carl...Butt '05 haid Tank and Tallent....and '02 Carl and Chris McCord....And eye thank '04 haid tha best LB's along wif '98, '05, '06....And eye thank thiz teem haid tha best corners along wif '98...And eye thank 2000 haid tha best safeties along wif '03 and '01... And eye thank '01 haid tha best receevin corps along wif '02,'05, '06 and '98.... And grait runnin' QB's inn Juhlin and Patton...And... :wacko:

Bottum Line... we have been blessed with great players and coaches...And they're all my favorites!!!.... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Fellers eye luv all our teems....Each and evur one haz hits own pursinality....Butt eye beeleeve this one iz tha best "D" along wif '05 that GQ haz haid....And thay haiv give up fewur points than enny GQ teem includin' 98....Eye thank this teem, '98, '02 haid tha best O-lines....Eye thank '07 haid tha best passin' wif Brent...along wif '06 and '99....Eye thank '01 haid tha best runnin baik tandem wif T.J and Carl...Butt '05 haid Tank and Tallent....and '02 Carl and Chris McCord....And grait runnin' QB's in Juhlin and Patton...And... :wacko:

Bottum line we have been blessed with greats players and coaches...And they're all my favorites!!!.... :thumb:

I agree. Just something to discuss until August :thumb:

Wow... that ringing endorsement carries a lot of weight in my book cause I know you've been "paying attention" for quite a while. I've been impressed watching his running skills, haven't seen him throw it a whole lot.

What will impress you is his ability to operate an offense....especially a GQ offense.....his decision making.....QB skill......and his overall ability to effectively play the position. He is impressive to say the least and I would be surprised if he isn't a special QB when he graduates in 2014. Edminston has a big arm and I wouldn't be shocked to see him getting some PT in certain situations. Nick is capable but he may be more valuable as a WR/DB next season.

I did see those teams play, but being only 13 at the time of the 2005 team, I didn't quite understand what was going on as compared to now. Incredible teams. No doubt about it. I'll be honest, I just got done watching the c/o 2012's highlight tapes (Patton, Johns, Guy, Miranda, Curtis, Yoakum, West, and Watson to be specific) so I may be speaking with a good bit of bias haha. I don't think there has been a OLine as dominant as this season's, just watch Brandon Guy lead block for runners! I would not get in his way for any reason! I hope he continues his career somewhere. Just heard he Improved his ACT so maybe that will increase his chances. There have been better QB's at MHS and I think Patton's size helps his recruiting. Guillermo was ESPN's #1 center in his class, and Rivals groups all OL into one big group. Do you all think that Guillermo strictly being recruited as a center helped his ESPN ranking compared to if he was open to being a guard or tackle? Not saying he wasn't willing to play those positions, I'm sure he would. I kind of went in many different directions so I know this post may leave many wondering what the heck I was thinking. I'll blame it my regrets of not playing ball with these great young men. I shouldve listened to Nick White constantly trying to persuade me to go out for the team and play safety for the Rebels. All you young board readers still in high school: If you are thinking of trying out for a team, do it! Don't wait til you're older like me and these other guys and spend the rest of your life wishing you had done so! Take advantage of your days in school!

Fellers eye luv all our teems....Each and evur one haz hits own pursinality....Butt eye beeleeve this one iz tha best "D" along wif '05 that GQ haz haid....And thay haiv give up fewur points than enny GQ teem includin' 98....Eye thank this teem, '98, '02 haid tha best O-lines....Eye thank '05 haid tha best D-line....Along wif '98 and '02 and '06....Eye thank '07 haid tha best passin' wif Brent...along wif '06 and '99....Eye thank '01 haid tha best runnin baik tandem wif T.J and Carl...Butt '05 haid Tank and Tallent....and '02 Carl and Chris McCord....And eye thank '04 haid tha best LB's along wif '98, '05, '06....And eye thank thiz teem haid tha best corners along wif '98...And eye thank 2000 haid tha best safeties along wif '03 and '01... And eye thank '01 haid tha best receevin corps along wif '05, '06 and '98.... And grait runnin' QB's inn Juhlin and Patton...And... :wacko:

Bottum Line... we have been blessed with great players and coaches...And they're all my favorites!!!.... :thumb:

I agree with you Stars. Each team has their own personality and we are blessed to have such a great program with incredible coaches and role models! :thumb: