New Marion County Head Football Coach

ElderMtnWarrior

Can anyone from Marion tell me if the rumor is true....that they have a player from the 08 team helping coach. I remember him playing and he was very good and I think he would be a positive influence on the kids. Come on, someone must know? :popcorneater:

Yes he will be helping in a small role. Good to have him around. Boys seem to feed off of him

Old Pirate wonders where is all the fellers from Jasvegas? OP did hear from cousin Billy's neighbor them youngons were working hard! Recon that's bout all you can do at this time of the year. Least ways OP hopes them youngons stay focused on having a good year!

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Everything I've read sounds about right when it comes to Mac. I played under him at Moore County in the late nineties. He was defintely hard nosed. He would weed out the weak. Every summer he would haul the team to a week long football camp back in the woods. We as players called it "The Week of heck". If you survived this week, you made the team. I remember going to my first camp as a freshman. We had one of the biggest teams Moore County fielded in years. I believe it was roughly 61 of us that left for camp. Only 44 made it to the end of the day that Friday. I remember hearing kids pack up at night and make a run across the field. The only pay phone was on the other side of camp. They would call Mom or Dad and say, "Come get me!". Now don't get me wrong. We were NOT mistreated, but the practices would make you a player. There were several practices during the day with full pads in the blazing heat. McCurry was going to make his teams "unconditional". We always said under any condition we would not be affected. We would play our game in any place, any weather, and under any circumstance. It helped prepare us beyond football, and I believe that's why so many of his players still respect him. We couldn't stand him while we played for him. It's not until later in life that you understand his method of madness. Give him time and your program will flourish. Give him time and your boys will definitely benefit. Most of all don't doubt the Wing-T. We didn't always enjoy running it, but man did we win some games. Many teammates of mine can vouche for this as my senior class went 43-9 for our high school career. I just wonder if ole 47 Sweep is still in the playbook. Enjoy the ride MC! I sure did.

• Upvote 1

... Enjoy the ride MC! I sure did.

1+ I'd a give you a 3+ I could of.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you Mac hisself.:roflolk:

You obviously wuz there, so I believe you is trustworthy in yer assessment. Things ain't like they used to be, so even ole CBP, Coach Bill Price aka Wild Bill cain't treat them fellers like he used to.

Still ... you should of seen CBP and Mac on the same field. Come second week of July life gits real tough.:evil:

They both love that ole wing-T, and know how to run it. And, I think they both learned a little bit from each other. :ph34r:

GO WARRIORS ! ;)

Edited by MountainTroll

Mac would never post on coacht, he can't use a computer! I played against those mid 1990 teams and they were mentally tough! Many times our teams would be more talented but still lose. I coached with mac for a few years too and he gets er done! 24 g.o. is the best play!

24 g.o. was fabulous. We also had a lot of success with 18 solid gold. It was one of the few passing plays in the arsenal. Mac was a strong believer in the run even when we trailed which was few and far between. I'm excited to see how Mac does with MC. Can't wait for some football!

24 g.o. was fabulous. We also had a lot of success with 18 solid gold. It was one of the few passing plays in the arsenal. Mac was a strong believer in the run even when we trailed which was few and far between. I'm excited to see how Mac does with MC. Can't wait for some football!

Don't forget in Mac's words... "When you throw the ball 2 out of 3 things can go wrong"!! Marion is taking form from what I hear.

Mac is a good coach. If MC has near average talent, they will do well in a couple of yrs