Ralph Potter Resigns

nike7

BA has never been about bragging about your pedigree. It is about earning everything you get and getting the most out of your God given talents to His glory. You proudly cleaned your school out of pride and respect. You have key milestones along the way such as making your first travel squad, getting to ride on the bus versus the van, or earning your Red practice jersey- which signifies you earned every step of the way. The first starting lineup- wow. You pray and remember Alma mater after wins and losses, you seek the higher meaning in every test, lcompetition, event. You learn to give things to God and You never took anything for granted- ever. To put BA in a box simply means you don't get it. Many of our parents gave up everything financially so we could have the chance to learn from these teachers and coaches. Parents still drive almost 100 miles each day and work night jobs to make this happen. The stories are amazing of the sacrifices- that's the BA I know and believe In.

I now have further clues to why there was such a culture mismatch. In Nashville, there is a place for talking about endowments and scholars down off Harding at MBA- but I never hear them talking about it. They also have our respect and compete with class and fortitude. You might be more welcome on their boards comparing your accolades (even though McCallie doesnt come close to matching up) But keep your self promotion to yourself, and comparing BA to another school with a few bullet points is insulting to us that have been around a while.

Beautiful post. You describe the essence of Brentwood Academy. I pray the school never changes the basic elements of its culture that made it a great experience for men like you and me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both BA and McCallie have talented students...

Information from the BA and McCallie websites

Seniors attending college - BA 98%, M 100% National Merit BA 2, M 8

AP Scholars National - BA 0, M 4, AP Distinction BA 9, M 34, AP Honors BA 3, M 22, AP Scholars BA 5, M 31

McCallie College Acceptances 2007-2011 50 Vandy, 38 Wake Forest, 23 Davidson, 17 UVA, 15 Penn, 7 Stanford, etc.

Completely agree and the point of my post. There was simply no need to insult the BA school and community. There is an impressive array of young people attending BA, many will be leaders and greatly, and positively impact our world - i'm sure M fans would say the same thing about their students. Whatever coach is being part of the process of developing these young people needs to know how to do it - that's the issue, not the students. You're happy with potter, hopefully he is happy and BA is happy.

McCallie (for the most part) is happy to have Ralph back and BA (for the most part) is happy to have him gone. Understanding why the academics, college destinations, and endowments of two great schools are being discussed is way above my pay grade?

It's always about the right fit.... And like a few others, it's time to move on.

Best of luck to BA finding your new coach...let's hope he fits.

This is the type of person that BA is producing:

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/nas/2011/12/05-26/Tuani-has-loomed-large-for-Navy-football.html?ne=1

Jabaree Tuani will play his last game as a Midshipman this weekend against Army...He will go down as one of the greatest DL ever to play at the Academy. BA should be proud of this alumnus.

I played under Coach Potter at BA and I glad this move finally came. Playing under him was far from a fun experience. I never felt any connection to the man and he killed my confidence. I think he gave it his all it just didn't work out. I wish him well.

I am very sorry to hear that. It is my understanding that he has really did a number on a few kids since he has been at BA and that is sad. I have heard some pretty sorry stories. I don't get to make many games, but I knew there were major issues going on this year. Every time I made it up I heard a tremendous amount of negatitity. I thought last year was bad but it was near a boiling point this year. I hope the new coach listens, sorts that all out and repairs what he can. That will go along way toward getting BA back where it should be.

Good post! That's the BA I know, similar stories through the years of many that played in college, many that didn't- yet played way over their forecasted capability. Too many to list- I bet there are many of these at the school currently as well that need to be recognized more or given an opportunity.

Edited by GoldenGoose85

I do think it's a win-win situation for BA and for McCallie.

Not trying to make any BA supporters mad, but from the outside looking in, BA reminds me a bit of Alabama after Bear left, with (obviously) Flatt being the Bear. Flatt did some great things there and there seems to be a feeling among some that no one has lived up to those standards; the emergence of Ensworth has obviously had a major impact on all D-II programs but am I off base in my compasrison?

No not entirely off base in some respects. I did not go to school at BA but I have a kid there who is an athlete and two more on the way. All of my children were accepted at Ensworth btw, so I am not entirely sure where they will go. I am trying to match my children, their talents and personality with the proper school. We do public school till 6 or 7th grade then start the process. I have many friends at BA, Ensworth and MBA. Here is my un biased view. I did not choose BA because of the athletics there even though I played college ball and grew up with an 8 time state football champion coach as a father. It came down to a feeling that BA was a better place for my oldest child. We have been very happy with the school. The kids are great, the teachers are great and the atmosphere is terrific. Carlton was a great coach but other than establishing a winning tradition at BA, I rarely hear his name mentioned there. Sure there will always be a number of people who would like to see him back and until another coach comes in and wins a few big ones I think you will continue to. The new generation of Alabama fans know of Bear Bryant and Alabama has a tradition that was created by him but Saben is doing just fine there. Who knows, maybe if he coaches another 20 years the stadium will be ... Bryant-Denny-Saban stadium.

I do think it's a win-win situation for BA and for McCallie.

Not trying to make any BA supporters mad, but from the outside looking in, BA reminds me a bit of Alabama after Bear left, with (obviously) Flatt being the Bear. Flatt did some great things there and there seems to be a feeling among some that no one has lived up to those standards; the emergence of Ensworth has obviously had a major impact on all D-II programs but am I off base in my compasrison?

Not trying to make any BA supporters mad, but from the outside looking in, BA reminds me a bit of Alabama after Bear left, with (obviously) Flatt being the Bear. Flatt did some great things there and there seems to be a feeling among some that no one has lived up to those standards.

Do you know where BA can find the high school equivalent of Nick Saban?