Henry County Patriots 2012

RedSwarm10

Appreciate the updates olddevil.

I liked what I saw from Colton Randolph last year in limited varsity action and also with the JV. And of course Storme Hilliard's an incredible athlete. Sounds like it could be a bit like our Najee Ray/Khalil Kendley duo from a couple years back. Luckily I'll actually get to see us in action when Dresden comes to town Thursday.

Hope Dresden decides to play a little better tomorrow than they did yesterday. If they play the same you could send the Inman kids in and man handle them.

greenwave, it always entertains me to read where people try to be negative to someone elses accomplis hments.Henry County a powerhouse? Does one state title mean that every year before 2011 that they were not one of the best. I would say that Auburn is a powerhouse, but other than their latest national championship they had some awful seasons leading up to that, Henry County is 12-5 over the last six seasons in the playoffs, I guess Gallatin has won more than one state title in their history but over the last six years they are 3-6 in the playoffs. Hillsboro has won multiple state titles and yet no one would look at them now and say they are a powerhouse, maybe they use to be.

One state title three semifinal appearances and two second round exits over the last 6 years and there is not many schools that can say they have played 17 playoff games over the last 6 years, not sure that any of this means anything but Henry County has been one of the most powerful teams over the last few years, Gallatin has a proud and storied history but lately not the case.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying for two days to figure out a way to put lipstick on this pig but it isn't easy.Overall, we won 4to 3. However our varsity was whipped 2 to 1. We scored a 70yd TD on our first play and never threatened again. Arlington, a seasoned and talented team,ran an effective spread offense throwing almost every play. Their QB will be starting for the third year;he threw for 2500 yds as a soph and exceeded that last year as they won their district. Our inexperienced defense played only a base defense but held their own pretty well though the score could have been worse. On offense our running game didn't gel. Our passing however showed some promise. The JV kids looked pretty good out scoring the Tigers 3 to 1 with long runs by our speedy sophs.In time we will be fine but a lot of hard work lies ahead.

GO BIG RED

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I did see most of our spring practice. Still some kinks to work out, but that's what spring practice is for, finding out where you're at. Outside of the horrible tragedy, and some "off field" issues involving a few graduating seniors, I'd say it was a good spring for the program in terms of where we are. To me, this team looks like it has the early makings of a pretty good one. I've seen us have worse looking springs before, and then follow it up with a very successful season. The size and speed are both at a good level, it's just a matter of getting it to come together. They'll get there.

greenwave, it always entertains me to read where people try to be negative to someone elses accomplis hments.Henry County a powerhouse? Does one state title mean that every year before 2011 that they were not one of the best. I would say that Auburn is a powerhouse, but other than their latest national championship they had some awful seasons leading up to that, Henry County is 12-5 over the last six seasons in the playoffs, I guess Gallatin has won more than one state title in their history but over the last six years they are 3-6 in the playoffs. Hillsboro has won multiple state titles and yet no one would look at them now and say they are a powerhouse, maybe they use to be.

One state title three semifinal appearances and two second round exits over the last 6 years and there is not many schools that can say they have played 17 playoff games over the last 6 years, not sure that any of this means anything but Henry County has been one of the most powerful teams over the last few years, Gallatin has a proud and storied history but lately not the case.

okay, i'll give you the fact that you've had a nice little 5 or 6 year run. that still doesn't change what i was originally saying. i didn't mean to ruffle everyone's feathers, just calling it as i see it. i've never seen a program graduate that much talent and not experience a drop off the following year. and because of that, i don't see a deep playoff run for you in 2012. look at beech and columbia in the 2 years before you, respectively. they both won state, lost a lot of players, and neither made it passed the 1st round the following year. i'm not saying you guys are gonna lose in the 1st round, but i'd be surprised to see you go beyond round 2 or 3.

and to your comment about gallatin, i know very well our history of success, and our lack of playoff success as of late. fortunately we have a new coach now, who will hopefully get us back to where we want to be.

okay, i'll give you the fact that you've had a nice little 5 or 6 year run. that still doesn't change what i was originally saying. i didn't mean to ruffle everyone's feathers, just calling it as i see it. i've never seen a program graduate that much talent and not experience a drop off the following year. and because of that, i don't see a deep playoff run for you in 2012. look at beech and columbia in the 2 years before you, respectively. they both won state, lost a lot of players, and neither made it passed the 1st round the following year. i'm not saying you guys are gonna lose in the 1st round, but i'd be surprised to see you go beyond round 2 or 3.

and to your comment about gallatin, i know very well our history of success, and our lack of playoff success as of late. fortunately we have a new coach now, who will hopefully get us back to where we want to be.

It's too early to tell whether or not this team can make a deep playoff run. At this point, talent is not an issue, it's a matter of whether or not they continue to improve and come together as a team. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about that. This isn't the first time we've lost a large, talented group of seniors. We've done it before, and we've reloaded before. You seem to care an awful lot about what's going on in Paris. Looks to me like Gallatin has plenty of issues of its own to focus on right now.

• 3 weeks later...

With it looking like a strong possibility that the TSSAA will reclassify, what is everyone's opinion? Does it help, hurt, or have minimal effect on the program?

If they vote the old system back in, we're likely to remain in 5A, considering we're one of the larger 5A schools in the current system. This would probably place us in a region with Dickson County, Clarksville, Hendersonville, Mount Juliet, Wilson Central, and Station Camp (although that is just a proposal, and it could look much different by the time the enrollment numbers come out).

With it looking like a strong possibility that the TSSAA will reclassify, what is everyone's opinion? Does it help, hurt, or have minimal effect on the program?

If they vote the old system back in, we're likely to remain in 5A, considering we're one of the larger 5A schools in the current system. This would probably place us in a region with Dickson County, Clarksville, Hendersonville, Mount Juliet, Wilson Central, and Station Camp (although that is just a proposal, and it could look much different by the time the enrollment numbers come out).

Is it a foregone conclusion that it gets voted back in?

To answer your question, there are positives and negatives. The positives would be an increased level in competition within our region, some much larger gates, and some more exciting football games. The negatives would be even farther travel, and a much more difficult path to another state title in the next few years, which we're all hoping for, and have a relatively decent chance of doing under the current system.

The Henry County homer in me wants to keep the current system. The football purist in me wouldn't mind a return to the old system. However, I'm more of a homer than a purist, so I hope they keep the current system. Don't get me wrong, I'm certain we would still be a very good program in the state's largest class, even though we would probably be on the lower end of 5A enrollment wise. I just think we sit in a near perfect spot currently.

Edited by RedSwarm10