Flagrant or dirty?

mboro

Because driving the lane is how you play the game.There are three ref's out there whose responsibility is to ensure that rules are followed,and ejecting a player(though extreme)is one of the "tools" at their disposal.I disagree that there was no ill intent,but it's debatable...if it was the case then defend the coach,who supposedly DOES know basketball,for not correcting the player(s) or benching them. No excuse for letting that many chances for a player to be injured happen,when you had to see them coming...one after another.Would you tell your kid "dont be stupid enough to keep driving the lane" or yell at the ref and coach about rough play?

Well...........yeah. I would tell my kid that if he's getting hammered when he drives the lane and wants that to stop, to stop driving the lane. My kid took his football skills and got 6 charge calls in one game to go his way on a couple of guys that were driving the lane in a game. Taking a hit is part of the game too...........if taught correctly.

Yeah, ok, they're fouls. They are mostly ugly fouls because the kid is uncoordinated. I didn't think #34 was particularly malicious with what he was doing so much as just uncoordinated. The push in the back was the exception. They could have called that one flagrant and issued a technical. It's still in the eyes of the referees within the context of the game. Alot of fouls that are committed to send a message are performed more gracefully. Dirty play typically involves some degree of coordination and an ability to get away with the foul. I think #34 just had poor reaction time and poor technique truthfully. Guess what, after he commits 5 of those, he gets to sit down. It didn't look to me like it was going to take him long to get there.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...........yeah. I would tell my kid that if he's getting hammered when he drives the lane and wants that to stop, to stop driving the lane. My kid took his football skills and got 6 charge calls in one game to go his way on a couple of guys that were driving the lane in a game. Taking a hit is part of the game too...........if taught correctly.

Yeah, ok, they're fouls. They are mostly ugly fouls because the kid is uncoordinated. I didn't think #34 was particularly malicious with what he was doing so much as just uncoordinated. The push in the back was the exception. They could have called that one flagrant and issued a technical. It's still in the eyes of the referees within the context of the game. Alot of fouls that are committed to send a message are performed more gracefully. Dirty play typically involves some degree of coordination and an ability to get away with the foul. I think #34 just had poor reaction time and poor technique truthfully. Guess what, after he commits 5 of those, he gets to sit down. It didn't look to me like it was going to take him long to get there.

You missed the point entirely...your "football" kid was taught the correct way to counteract a driving opponent,and apparently executed to perfection,so would you rather he'd thrown someone to the floor or clubbed them?I'm a firm beliver that if you finish a game without fouls you probably didnt play with enough intensity.The intent of the player(as I stated earlier) is debatable,if you didn't catch the sly glances and grins between players.Everyone seems to be reacting as if #34 stumbling into an opponent and teammate in clip 2/3(cant remember) is the foul(could've been)but the kid with the headband grabbed and threw the opponent out of bounds was ref's call,so in my mind at least four of the six were delibrate,intentional(no attempt at position or ball) fouls and none were called that way.Each "foul" is to be assessed seperatly dependant on the actions of the player,but in reality after a 'couple of occourances,any referee worth his patch would've taken into consideration the nature of previous infractions.Now for the coach...to have that many fouls of that nature in one game by more than one player and do nothing tells me one thing...a message was sent to the other team by two "expendable" players,and that's ok up to the point of injuring someone,but that point was crossed.I'd be willing to "bet"(I'm not a gambler,just an expression)that neither of the two players featured in the clips significantly contribute to the offense...ever!I'm not an arguementitave person,and I respect the opinion of those who see this differently than I do,but still say...DIRTY!

I agree that the coach of the white team can control who's on the floor. If these guys are playing dirty on purpose, they don't hide it very well. Most of the time it's a wad of jersey in your fist holding the guy down while you're jumping over him for a rebound with the other hand or stepping on his feet. I acknowledge there wasn't anything subtle about #34's fouls, I'm just not convinced he was trying to be dirty. He looks more like a bull in a china shop to me.

I don't know. I thought after #34 had 3 hacks it was pretty stupid to keep driving the lane. I wouldn't say flagrant. I'd say uncoordinated. The guy didn't possess any basketball skills. The more flagrant foul was on the guy that pushed the maroon guy away from the ball. 34 was going for the ball.........he was just using poor technique. I'd say a football player staying in shape is a good assessment. I don't see jail time or wife beatings resulting from uncoordinated play.

I agree with KS... I see a guy who is big, probably has some strength and can't jump. He's using what he can. The only one I would question would be the #4... That appears to be flagrant. The body slam was shrek one arming the guy down because of his lack of athletic ability. He just looks like he working with what he can with his out of shape body! I say drive the lane a few more times and send him home for the night... all indications tell me that he wants to sit down anyway.

I agree that the coach of the white team can control who's on the floor. If these guys are playing dirty on purpose, they don't hide it very well. Most of the time it's a wad of jersey in your fist holding the guy down while you're jumping over him for a rebound with the other hand or stepping on his feet. I acknowledge there wasn't anything subtle about #34's fouls, I'm just not convinced he was trying to be dirty. He looks more like a bull in a china shop to me.

If you watch the expression on his face after each of these "bull in a china shop" fouls, you will see that the fouls was indeed intentional. He does NOT belong on the basketball court.