MBA coverup exposed

newsoftheworldus

It isn't cheating since it's not against the rules. Why do you think ensworth and Brentwood academy have not been caught for this? They pay directly to the families, and none of that money is used for tuition. The kid may not even be a good athlete, but that's how schools legally help out families that can't afford a new car (tuition) yearly

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Do you know the person (and group) at BA who oversees this process? I do and to besmirch him and others is pretty ridiculous. They do no such thing. You also probably think BA pays someone full financial aid and that is also a false stmt and yes i know that for fact. There is not one student at BA who receives a full ride. In any case, just another wonderful example of the internet - throw rumors out there with no basis in fact.

This whole saga has become very, very sad. Just when you think the incidents have come to their negotiated and agreed-upon end by the supposed "adults in the room" (the institutions of MBA and TSSAA) then you turn around and find further efforts by Daniel McGugin and his circle to get the last word in an attempt to clear his muddied reputation - while at the same time getting in some jabs at the MBA administration for not educating him better about the do's and don'ts of common logic.

The letter to a few of his former players seems like a contrite attempt at salvaging whatever influence he may have had with them when he was the coach of record at MBA (and that record now unfortunately officially stands at 0-51). It is fairly widely known both inside and outside the MBA community that there was not universal respect for him during his time as the coach - as evidenced by the significant number of reputable coach and player departures during his regime . There seems to be a pathological need for control - even now - in this sad story. Even last week when the news of the TSSAA sanctions & penalties were announced a former MBA student/athlete affected by the Era-of-Error communicated his frustration of the sanctions via a social media outlet in a brief sarcastic criticism of the former coach. The social media communication made its way to the McGugin circle and Daniel's twin brother Bill even sought to control this communication by directly contacting the former student/athlete to no doubt attempt to bully him into a retraction. To my knowledge, the former student/athlete did the right thing and did not respond to the spin-control attack. It's possible that this social media communication may have been motivation for Daniel to compose his letter to some of the former players.

Back in mid-April 2011 when this whole mess began to hit the newswires the revelations were embarrassing enough to a staid and respected MBA institution. I think everyone in the entire MBA family has always wanted this set of unfortunate incidents to come to a rightful conclusion and then go away so that everyone can move forward. Unfortunately, just when you think that ending has happened so that the healing and moving forward can begin there is another last-word grab for control. Back in mid-April the newspaper quotes from coach McGugin were all about "there have been no violoations - and I have done nothing immoral or unethical". Now, we get a letter accepting the blame for the recruiting improprieties - but claiming innocence for resulting sanctions attributed to the financial aid improprieties. Since these are now known as direct violations of the TSSAA rules should we also accept that coach McGugin may have indeed done something immoral and/or unethical?

Hiding behind the technicallity of disclaiming responsibility for the whole mess and the resulting vacating of the championships and wins because those were as a result of the financial aid improprieties (for which he had no responsibility?!) rings very hollow. I think we all know that the negotiated and agreed-upon sanctions were really a satisfactory compromise to punish the past - so that the current and future eligibility of athletic teams & athletes can be secured. It is a price that the young men from 2007 - 2011 will pay for the current and future young men of MBA. This whole mess would not have gotten to this point if it weren't for the disclosure of the initial recruiting violation and the $1500 cashier's check (which I understand the source of monies for that cashier's check is now known to have come from someone within the McGugin circle - of which knowledge was denied back in April). I believe MBA is ready to pay the price, clean-up and correct any of the shortcomings and to move forward. That really should be the end of the story. It has been sadly embarrassing enough to the MBA community. It's time for everyone to admit the mistakes of the entire 2007-2011 era, accept the punishment and move forward.

In the D2 schools defense most of the money that is illegal is paid through boosters aka parents or those close to the program in order for the kids to go to school. In many cases the coaches or administrtation may not know about the money being given to pay for tuition. This way no trail exists because the money comes straight from the individual or recipeint of the funds and they pay the school. Its not the schools business where the tuition comes from. Alot of times coaches dont recruit the boosters do. PRoblem in this case is the coach handled the money. NOTE plenty of pucblic schools recruit they just dont have to deal with money unless they get them an apartment to live which has happened in the past.

This whole saga has become very, very sad. Just when you think the incidents have come to their negotiated and agreed-upon end by the supposed "adults in the room" (the institutions of MBA and TSSAA) then you turn around and find further efforts by Daniel McGugin and his circle to get the last word in an attempt to clear his muddied reputation - while at the same time getting in some jabs at the MBA administration for not educating him better about the do's and don'ts of common logic.

The letter to a few of his former players seems like a contrite attempt at salvaging whatever influence he may have had with them when he was the coach of record at MBA (and that record now unfortunately officially stands at 0-51). It is fairly widely known both inside and outside the MBA community that there was not universal respect for him during his time as the coach - as evidenced by the significant number of reputable coach and player departures during his regime . There seems to be a pathological need for control - even now - in this sad story. Even last week when the news of the TSSAA sanctions & penalties were announced a former MBA student/athlete affected by the Era-of-Error communicated his frustration of the sanctions via a social media outlet in a brief sarcastic criticism of the former coach. The social media communication made its way to the McGugin circle and Daniel's twin brother Bill even sought to control this communication by directly contacting the former student/athlete to no doubt attempt to bully him into a retraction. To my knowledge, the former student/athlete did the right thing and did not respond to the spin-control attack. It's possible that this social media communication may have been motivation for Daniel to compose his letter to some of the former players.

Back in mid-April 2011 when this whole mess began to hit the newswires the revelations were embarrassing enough to a staid and respected MBA institution. I think everyone in the entire MBA family has always wanted this set of unfortunate incidents to come to a rightful conclusion and then go away so that everyone can move forward. Unfortunately, just when you think that ending has happened so that the healing and moving forward can begin there is another last-word grab for control. Back in mid-April the newspaper quotes from coach McGugin were all about "there have been no violoations - and I have done nothing immoral or unethical". Now, we get a letter accepting the blame for the recruiting improprieties - but claiming innocence for resulting sanctions attributed to the financial aid improprieties. Since these are now known as direct violations of the TSSAA rules should we also accept that coach McGugin may have indeed done something immoral and/or unethical?

Hiding behind the technicallity of disclaiming responsibility for the whole mess and the resulting vacating of the championships and wins because those were as a result of the financial aid improprieties (for which he had no responsibility?!) rings very hollow. I think we all know that the negotiated and agreed-upon sanctions were really a satisfactory compromise to punish the past - so that the current and future eligibility of athletic teams & athletes can be secured. It is a price that the young men from 2007 - 2011 will pay for the current and future young men of MBA. This whole mess would not have gotten to this point if it weren't for the disclosure of the initial recruiting violation and the $1500 cashier's check (which I understand the source of monies for that cashier's check is now known to have come from someone within the McGugin circle - of which knowledge was denied back in April). I believe MBA is ready to pay the price, clean-up and correct any of the shortcomings and to move forward. That really should be the end of the story. It has been sadly embarrassing enough to the MBA community. It's time for everyone to admit the mistakes of the entire 2007-2011 era, accept the punishment and move forward.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Do you know the person (and group) at BA who oversees this process? I do and to besmirch him and others is pretty ridiculous. They do no such thing. You also probably think BA pays someone full financial aid and that is also a false stmt and yes i know that for fact. There is not one student at BA who receives a full ride. In any case, just another wonderful example of the internet - throw rumors out there with no basis in fact.

Listen, i am not saying that ba or ensworth or any other schools violate the rules. Of course they do not receive a full ride, that is illegal. What is not illegal is for parents to give other parents money....as long as that money is not used for tuition. So people will put the gift toward mortgage and pay tuition with there paycheck. This is not against the rules. I know this goes on because I have witnessed it and have had it explained to be by parents of both schools. Many of times the kid isn't even an athlete, but A parent looses a job and other parents help them out. It is the only way to get around the rules, and it happens frequently. No students receive full rides by the schools, but people help them out so they don't pay and it is within the guidelines of the tssaa

Article in the Tennessean just keeps the bad news coming for MBA. Not sure if this link will post here, but its on the from page of the .com

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120125/NEWS/120125019/MBA-teacher-fired-sex-allegations-under-review?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Here is the lead in sentence to the story:

A female Montgomery Bell Academy middle school teacher is under investigation for an alleged sex incident with a student, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department.

In the D2 schools defense most of the money that is illegal is paid through boosters aka parents or those close to the program in order for the kids to go to school. In many cases the coaches or administrtation may not know about the money being given to pay for tuition. This way no trail exists because the money comes straight from the individual or recipeint of the funds and they pay the school. Its not the schools business where the tuition comes from. Alot of times coaches dont recruit the boosters do. PRoblem in this case is the coach handled the money. NOTE plenty of pools recruit they just dont have to deal with money unless they get them an apartment to live which has happened in the past.

Name names that you can prove that have not already been caught. In the past 7 years I only know of few. This infraction is not one a public school would need to try. The ones public schools get caught at, private schools aren't caught at. No defense either way. The thing that is bothersome is that either happens when there is no excuse and anyone getting on this site trying to justify anything. In fact its more than bothersome when students see what is going on anywhere. I can't imagine what anything along this line proves.Students pay to go to the schools and can go just about anywhere they want. They aren't zoned to a particular school. There must be too many private schools and Im not sure what that means. But someone needs to take the time to investigate why that is. Wrongheaded'

Name names that you can prove that have not already been caught. In the past 7 years I only know of few. This infraction is not one a public school would need to try. The ones public schools get caught at, private schools aren't caught at. No defense either way. The thing that is bothersome is that either happens when there is no excuse and anyone getting on this site trying to justify anything. In fact its more than bothersome when students see what is going on anywhere. I can't imagine what anything along this line proves.Students pay to go to the schools and can go just about anywhere they want. They aren't zoned to a particular school. There must be too many private schools and Im not sure what that means. But someone needs to take the time to investigate why that is. Wrongheaded'

I think anyone that has been around private schools knows this goes on. Anyhow as far as things heading the wrong way this is my opinion of what has happened with private schools and TSSAA. With the multiplier more schools decided to go division 2. Either way in the big boys division some schools can afford to give more financial aid and have more established programs that attract athletes on their own. Therefore some of the smaller privates in the big D2 division are in a pickle. The competition for athletes and to stay competetive have put schools in a situation where do they truly recruit or get whipped by the big boys. The private schools that cannot provide financial aid this is not really a problem. However now you have privates trying to keep up with each other which causes issues. The only thing I know is for the TSSAA to require further documentation for funds on financial aid recipients.

Article in the Tennessean just keeps the bad news coming for MBA. Not sure if this link will post here, but its on the from page of the .com

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120125/NEWS/120125019/MBA-teacher-fired-sex-allegations-under-review?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Here is the lead in sentence to the story:

A female Montgomery Bell Academy middle school teacher is under investigation for an alleged sex incident with a student, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department.