Match changes.....backing out.....

texas23

Texas23,

I am somewhat confused on your position. I could've sworn that I have seen you on this board, in the past, advocating that coaches and programs can engage in this very kind of behavior- along with choosing who you want to wrestle and whom you want to avoid.

It seems that the undesirable character and disposition of mike scott has succeeded in clouding many people's logic on this board. As a student of the law, I would expect better.

Texas23,

I am somewhat confused on your position. I could've sworn that I have seen you on this board, in the past, advocating that coaches and programs can engage in this very kind of behavior- along with choosing who you want to wrestle and whom you want to avoid.

It seems that the undesirable character and disposition of mike scott has succeeded in clouding many people's logic on this board. As a student of the law, I would expect better.

Pull up the quote you believe you saw from me and I will defend or agree with you comments here. I think you are probably totally wrong on what you believe you have read. Mike Scott is not undesirable at all in my book, I just took a shot at him because of his loyalty to what he believed his team was about. It was not personal at all.

I look forward to your evidence.

Texas23,

I believe coaches are entitled to such things.......before they make their schedule. After you have scheduled though??? It just looks cowardly. For whatever the reason. If I were to guess Ridintime, you could be thinking good Ole Tex was referring to the whole private/public school standpoint of wrestle if ya want, no big deal if you don't want to. I could be wrong, just a guess.

Edited by AsicTiger

As a former coach I can understand the frustration of when a team backs out from a dual especially at this stage of the season...For one you've got kids "cutting" weight. What is gained from this? I understand that you wanna save guys for the State Duals. But in the long run your hurting yourselves. The kids are losing valuable mat time. So what if you lose to Walker Valley? I understand that these two teams are in seperate regions. But when it comes to the individual region these matches help with the seeds of the tournament due to the fact that the second half of the season weighs more in seeds than the first half. So Central cancelling on Walker Valley is a big deal. I dont know you Scott Mike...but I do know your coaches...as a matter of fact I helped coach your head coach...These matches whether you realize it or not goes hand in hand. It stinks to do this...but alas the purple pounders must be a little weary of what lies ahead? The duals are set up to stress more on a team accomplishment rather than the individual. So if your hurt I understand but you adapt and overcome these scenarios. The back up is supposed to be just as good as his/her counter part. Good Luck to you guys the rest of the season...all I can say is that if your willing to do it once then you are more than likely to do it over and over again...This too will make coaches have second thoughts about scheduling in the future...it will always be in the back of their minds.

Pull up the quote you believe you saw from me and I will defend or agree with you comments here. I think you are probably totally wrong on what you believe you have read. Mike Scott is not undesirable at all in my book, I just took a shot at him because of his loyalty to what he believed his team was about. It was not personal at all.

I look forward to your evidence.

I'm sorry Texas but I am just not going to waste my time, aimlessly looking for posts from over a year ago. I'm confident that I can read and have the competency to understand what I've read. Your view in the past is that a coach knows best for his team and to heck with everyone else. That's the beauty of these online forums though - Anyone can speak with the broadest of strokes, even yourself, right?

But for your amusement, I'll refer to your initial post of this thread. I suppose I replied to your accusation based on one sentence- "If you want to hurt the sport of wrestling, cancel your matches cause you are not at your very best." Really? I can think of much bigger issues that hurt the sport in this state that would trump a small school division team from canceling on another.

I'm just glad the team that'll win DI has likely already wrestled the winner of DII, whoever those teams may be. That's good for wrestling in your state.

Edited by RidinTime

I'm sorry Texas but I am just not going to waste my time, aimlessly looking for posts from over a year ago. I'm confident that I can read and have the competency to understand what I've read. Your view in the past is that a coach knows best for his team and to heck with everyone else. That's the beauty of these online forums though - Anyone can speak with the broadest of strokes, even yourself, right?

But for your amusement, I'll refer to your initial post of this thread. I suppose I replied to your accusation based on one sentence- "If you want to hurt the sport of wrestling, cancel your matches cause you are not at your very best." Really? I can think of much bigger issues that hurt the sport in this state that would trump a small school division team from canceling on another.

I'm just glad the team that'll win DI has likely already wrestled the winner of DII, whoever those teams may be. That's good for wrestling in your state.

well said.... overtime,,, a better name. glad all teams are wrestling again. thanks ben smith!!! i'm sure this is an isolated incident that sly wanted badly.

remember, tex is the finest devil's advocate on coacht "."

Well,,,,I would not want you to go about and be aimless on anything that you bring up. The reality of what you may have been talking about was scheduling a school or team. I do believe that in that case the coach has the responsibility to put who ever he feels like on it, no matter how many people want Baylor on Bradley's schedule.

If, for your amusement, believe that putting a school on the schedule and then backing out a few days before is good for the sport, than that is pretty good amusement. I think it is bad for the sport, bad for the wrestlers, bad for the coach that broke the promise (since there was no contract, it was only a promise to wrestle).

It really has nothing to do with weather Central backed out for the likely winner of DI or Silverdale, the result is the same.

And soms,,,,,,yes, coach Morris was not happy about the situation,,,,did you think I just made this stuff up? Coach Morris is a friend of mine and I respect him as a coach, dad and man. I believe what he told me. Get over the jail thing, it is not that big of a deal,,,,,lots of people spend the night in jail, it all goes away with time.

Edited by texas23

Any chance of that match between Tex and Sommers? maybe throw the brothers and the son in on it too? could sell tickets and use the proceeds to help small school teams travel to matches or see doctors and stay healthy. C'mon guys think of the sport. Its not like either of you are computer programers or sit on your duffs all day...OR do you? Well I just wish tssaa would do something to regulate the cancellations. There should be a cut off time so trainers, sro's and refs arent counting on pay and then dont get it. The wise one's school may have canceled in a timely manner. I'm sure if Tex or WV stated that on here.

As an old coach, I wonder how people would feel if we cancelled basketball or football games because we were a little banged up. I don't think it would ride well. If we apply the standard that BB and FB was held too to wrestling we would always wrestle or it would be a forfeit. It is why we have teams and just not starters. I am sure the Central backups would love to have had their shot because they get the same excellent coaching and practice time as the varsity.

And soms,,,,,,yes, coach Morris was not happy about the situation,,,,did you think I just made this stuff up? Coach Morris is a friend of mine and I respect him as a coach, dad and man. I believe what he told me. Get over the jail thing, it is not that big of a deal,,,,,lots of people spend the night in jail, it all goes away with time.

Sounds like you know more about this kind of thing than I. I've known Al Miller awhile myself, Turner Jackson, Al Miller and Steve Logsdon even longer. Ive heard a thing or two about you. Can you imagine?

Btw... Regarding Spencer, His charges got dismissed and so did his boss due to a 71 yr old Knox co. officer and his questionable record, now on the news. Long story short,,, Life's lesson learned by one of my ten... Good kid, but confused about your antics?!?!?!?! ............you're right though, no big deal.

Any chance of that match between Tex and Sommers? maybe throw the brothers and the son in on it too? could sell tickets and use the proceeds to help small school teams travel to matches or see doctors and stay healthy. C'mon guys think of the sport. Its not like either of you are computer programers or sit on your duffs all day...OR do you? Well I just wish tssaa would do something to regulate the cancellations. There should be a cut off time so trainers, sro's and refs arent counting on pay and then dont get it. The wise one's school may have canceled in a timely manner. I'm sure if Tex or WV stated that on here.

fee for refs must be assessed

Well,,,,I would not want you to go about and be aimless on anything that you bring up. The reality of what you may have been talking about was scheduling a school or team. I do believe that in that case the coach has the responsibility to put who ever he feels like on it, no matter how many people want Baylor on Bradley's schedule.

If, for your amusement, believe that putting a school on the schedule and then backing out a few days before is good for the sport, than that is pretty good amusement. I think it is bad for the sport, bad for the wrestlers, bad for the coach that broke the promise (since there was no contract, it was only a promise to wrestle).

It really has nothing to do with weather Central backed out for the likely winner of DI or Silverdale, the result is the same.

If a coach has total control over his program, which gives him the right to schedule whomever he wants (which you have acknowledged), then why doesn't he have the right to cancel a match if it is in the best interest of his team? From what I gathered, there were multiple other teams who attended anyways. Furthermore, you have stated in the past that a coach knows best for his team and no one else, so he is not held accountable by others. So it makes no difference if a coach cancels a match or refuses to schedule one in the beginning- they are powers given to the coach to use, as he sees fit, in the interest of his team.

I have no interest in going back and forth with you, as you remind me of that child in the family who has to have the last word or will make the day miserable for all around him.

I yield back the balance of my time.

Edited by RidinTime