Powell High School Football Coach resigns

Space3

No. Here is the most recent news on the search, which is from about 10 days ago:

http://www.powellpan...ach_Search.html

Now that the Powell basketball team has been eliminated from the region tourney, I expect the coaching search to go full bore. There were a large number of applicants, so it is taking some time to narrow down the list to those who will be interviewed.

The AD tells me that there is no real timetable, but I certainly expect a new coach to be in place before spring practice begins in mid April.

Thanks HTV. I'm hoping the new staff wants to continue the spring/summer, home/away scrimmage arrangement with Sullivan South. It has certainly been good for our program. Probably did not help you guys much last summer though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess time will tell.Yes the rezoning made them go from an average program to an elite program the past few yrs, I guess yall and a few other schools can thank central for yalls success since a few schools got most of there top talent.

Not disputing that rezoning has & will help Powell athletically, but I really disagree with the assumption that rezoning is what made the Powell team succeed the past few years. It was merely a coincidence. A very large majority of those players you saw on the field on Friday nights the past 2 years have been very successful from rec league through middle school and had been together for a long time. They were kids already living in the traditional Powell zone. It was a talented group. That group took some lumps their freshman & sophomore years, but most of them weren't on the field at that time. The big difference maker came when Mobley got on board, and he was not a rezoned kid from the new zones set up by the Knox County Board of Education. My understanding is that he would have attended Austin East, but by way of the No Child Left Behind law or moving in with a guardian (not sure which it was for sure) he was able to play for Powell. Adding him to the mix of a very talented and deep group of athletes really propelled Powell. At least IMHO.

Not disputing that rezoning has & will help Powell athletically, but I really disagree with the assumption that rezoning is what made the Powell team succeed the past few years. It was merely a coincidence. A very large majority of those players you saw on the field on Friday nights the past 2 years have been very successful from rec league through middle school and had been together for a long time. They were kids already living in the traditional Powell zone. It was a talented group. That group took some lumps their freshman & sophomore years, but most of them weren't on the field at that time. The big difference maker came when Mobley got on board, and he was not a rezoned kid from the new zones set up by the Knox County Board of Education. My understanding is that he would have attended Austin East, but by way of the No Child Left Behind law or moving in with a guardian (not sure which it was for sure) he was able to play for Powell. Adding him to the mix of a very talented and deep group of athletes really propelled Powell. At least IMHO.

Very good assessment FD

Oldreb2 good two sea Mairvul boys gettin' these jobs....GQ's tree iz startin two git sevrull branches.. :thumb:

Roger that S&B! I know Derek quite well and I think the Powell folks will really like him. The kids will love him! He'll bring lots of enthusiasm (not that Powell didn't already have that). GQ has former players coaching lots of places.