Is CPA In Trouble?

howdoitknow

What Do You Think?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. If CPA played a student-athlete who was declared ineligible by the TSSAA should they have to vacate their wins over the course of the season as a result?

I have no problem with a family wanting to send their child to CPA or any other school for that matter if its done correctly, however it does bother me when things of this nature happen. Lets don't get on here and act like CPA isn't recruiting because we both know that they actively recruit in every sport or as you like to call it "attract" athletes. My youngest son was approached by a booster of CPA when he was in middle school playing AAU so i do know what i'm talking about however i'm not saying CPA is any different than any other private school. CPA is a great school and they have great facilities for learning as well as sports. I'm not bashing CPA just stating facts thats all. I will get off my private/public soap box and leave that for another day and end with this thought. The officials and coaches at CPA know the rules that are sent down by the governing body i.e. TSSAA and they know exactly when a kid will be eligible based on when he last played. So to act as if they didn't know when this particular athlete was eligible based on what he did the prior year insults everyone's intelligence and makes them look a little shady, wouldn't you agree?

Well said; and enough has been said, so this is my last thought. I posted earlier that I do not know the details of the 8th grader messup. I was very clear that even though I don't know, I do know that TSSAA rules can be confusing and IF (I don't know) CPA asked for clarification (there is nothing wrong with that)and was misled by the TSSAA, I see no fault. I do know that until the TSSAA separates private from public, guilt will be always be claimed, sometimes justified and sometimes not.

I'm beginning to think there is not a lot of intelligence on here to insult! Every kid, athlete or not, at a private school is recruited. I'm a public school advocate if the quality of education(or athletic opportunity) is comparable but everyone should have the right to go to whatever school they choose within the rules.

...My youngest son was approached by a booster of CPA when he was in middle school playing AAU so i do know what i'm talking about however...

CPA4Ever is right, the TSSAA recruiting rules are no different between DI and DII, only the granting of financial aid is different. A recruiting violation in DI is a recruiting violation in DII. Since the subject of insulting one's intelligence has been brought up, now we can test everyone's TSSAA recruiting rules IQ. According to the TSSAA rules - is the above mentioned example a recruiting violation?

• Upvote 1

CPA4Ever is right, the TSSAA recruiting rules are no different between DI and DII, only the granting of financial aid is different. A recruiting violation in DI is a recruiting violation in DII. Since the subject of insulting one's intelligence has been brought up, now we can test everyone's TSSAA recruiting rules IQ. According to the TSSAA rules - is the above mentioned example a recruiting violation?

Negative it was not a violation because it was merely implied by someone that wanted him to play there. There were never any coaches or school administrators involved so therefore no rules were broken and i've been in the AAU arena long enough to realize that this is how alot of kids decide where to go, based on relationships they build playing AAU while they are in elementary and middle school. This is a nationwide thing not just here in Tennessee.

CPA is a fine upstanding school but I mean really they dig for people. Everybody knows that new kid Vic Wharton (not a Nashville local) old man was "approached" for employment at CPA. I mean what better way to get a outstanding athlete in your program hire the parent! It is the best way to slide an athlete into a private school program. I would bet there are other parent/athletes on staff at CPA, All private schools do it. Even my kid has been approached by a Nashville private school but I don't have that kind of money nor was I interested in being an "assistant coach" to help cut tuition. It is still recruiting just using the parent as a puppet. Stack the team that is the CPA way. So chime off its recruiting anyway you look at it even though guidelines are being followed there is a way around it we all know that. Some (CPA) fans just have a hard time believing that. As far as the ineligible student if TSSAA sent a letter stating eligbile then sent another one stating not eligible NO CPA should not be punished for TSSAA error. Hang on to that letter CPA staff.

CPA is just like all the other private schools in that they recruit young men and women to play sports for their school. This is the reason that they should be in a different classification i.e. DII along with MBA and Brentwood Academy as CPA recruits just as hard as these two schools do, the only difference is all the DII schools do it legally. Why TSSAA allows this to continue is beyond me.

Same reason they (TSSAA) has rules for "transfers/recruits" for publics. Go wander around Rutherford County and see where people live and what high school they attend. :bored:

Negative it was not a violation because it was merely implied by someone that wanted him to play there. There were never any coaches or school administrators involved so therefore no rules were broken...

Parental perception or proper interpretation, hmmmm, I wonder since the rule is not limited to school staff - "coaches or school administrators." And you can understand because if it only was limited to school staff, then it would be OK to unleash the parents or boosters for a feeding frenzy. :hungry: I don't think so.

Recruiting Rule - Section 17. Athletic recruiting is prohibited. Athletic recruiting is the use of influence on a student or the parents or guardians of a student, by any person(s) directly or indirectly associated with the school, to secure or retain a student for athletic purposes...

• Upvote 1

It would be a lot easier to have a conversation about this topic if everyone would get the facts of the story first... Instead of pretending that you know what's really going on with a young mans life (when really you have NO idea) . Sad that we waste time to get on here and talk about student/athletes like they are commodities. I know for a fact the player in question was never contacted by his current school before he showed up in the driveway and applied for admission. He had a very sad/bad experience at his previous school and chose to go to a school where he could excell on and off the court. With that said, the TSSAA approved his eligibility in October, wrote a letter stating the player was eligible, only to later (60 days later) tell that same 14 yr old boy he can no longer play because THEY made a mistake. (TSSAA not the school).

How do you mis-interpret your own rules???

How do you do that to 14 yr old kid???

This is not about anyone being recruited, nor transferring. It's about a great young man who just so happens to be a pretty dang good ball player. If you'll check the handbook for TSSAA-"repeating rules" in section 7 and section 8 they are completely 100% contradicting. Someone over there needs to proof read their rules before they send them off to print .

It would be a lot easier to have a conversation about this topic if everyone would get the facts of the story first... Instead of pretending that you know what's really going on with a young mans life (when really you have NO idea) . Sad that we waste time to get on here and talk about student/athletes like they are commodities. I know for a fact the player in question was never contacted by his current school before he showed up in the driveway and applied for admission. He had a very sad/bad experience at his previous school and chose to go to a school where he could excell on and off the court. With that said, the TSSAA approved his eligibility in October, wrote a letter stating the player was eligible, only to later (60 days later) tell that same 14 yr old boy he can no longer play because THEY made a mistake. (TSSAA not the school).

How do you mis-interpret your own rules???

How do you do that to 14 yr old kid???

This is not about anyone being recruited, nor transferring. It's about a great young man who just so happens to be a pretty dang good ball player. If you'll check the handbook for TSSAA-"repeating rules" in section 7 and section 8 they are completely 100% contradicting. Someone over there needs to proof read their rules before they send them off to print .

.....and you will be given a "FACT" by kbrks in...4...3...2...1......

Same reason they (TSSAA) has rules for "transfers/recruits" for publics. Go wander around Rutherford County and see where people live and what high school they attend. :bored:

Redog you don't know what goes on in rutherford county. We do it legal down here. We move to the zone we want our kids to go to. If we have a Mom or Dad that works in the school system we get exemptions. We have an IB program we can sign up for at 1 school if we want to go to it. Legal baby. Get back under the porch redog.