District 4 A girls

Hopi

My point about Davis was not to insinuate he can't coach, it was to say he seems to place a reliance on someone that is not a member of his staff. Heck, that might even be a pretty good idea since the Bleachers tend to have all the experts nowdays! :roflol: However, if one was going to seek guidance from another it would seem that it came from the assistant rather than someone else. (that is an opinion, not a cheap shot) Davis manages a very good game and he tends to push the right buttons most of the time. Christopher's best team was led by her own daughter, and I'm sure she invested alot into her development. She got 2nd place out of this years team and in the preseason I heard expectations of fourth and fifth place at best. She is very multiple and her teams are hard to prepare for....which to me is the sign of a good coach. Snow has a limited talent base in such a small community. He develops his teams by starting with basically the same system from the sixth grade. By the time his kids are Juniors and Seniors they tend to know their stuff. That too is reflective of a coach that sees the big picture. Sunbright would do well to follow this blueprint. I think each of these coaches are smart, given the resources they have, they each put a good product out there. Jackson and Jackson (Coalfield and Oneida) are in their league too. Carmen just didn't have the depth of talent to work with this year and Amanda's kids are still learning how to bring her ideas to the court.

This final four can be won by any of the remaining teams. Oneida has beaten Oakdale and OS, and they had Wartburg in a hole at their place before they let them off the hook. They are dangerous. Oakdale has arguably the best player (Kilby), and if she plays well they can win. Wartburg has suceeded the best this year....that match-up defense they run is troublesome in the halfcourt. OS has kept to the grindstone too, so it is anybody"s tournament to win.

point understood, I see what you mean now, !

davis does talk some with his dad however this year he has been the best coach all in all christopher gets upset when shes not winning and it takes away from her coaching to her kids she gets mad and takes it on on her kids oneida has a good coach and oakdale has a good coach i would rank em 1-4 as 1.davis 2. snow 3.oneida coach

4. christopher but like has been said anyone can win this tournament its a 4 team shootout and defense will win the championship at the end!!

I'm not sure how Davis has merited the best coach in the district status? He sometimes resembles a puppet as he turns to confer with his daddy, whom I don't think is a part of his staff. Perhaps he just seeks input from a wise old sage? If you were to go on merit alone I would think Christopher would top the list presently, and I base that on the number of competitive teams she has fielded over the years. Coalfield's Coach is way smarter than the people down their give her credit for, she took a way inferior team up to Oneida and almost ended their season. Snow, at Oakdale, does about what is expected every year....rarely better and sometimes just short, although that could be because of the usual depth of players at the school. Still, about all you need is five, right? Jackson, at Oneida, was supposed to jack that program up the ladder. Maybe she still will, but the team finished 3rd last year and it did so again this season. I think Oneida is going to hit the bright lights pretty soon with what they get back and what they have coming up. That Jr. High didn't go 21-1 with bad players! Sunbright can't ever seem to get 5 good ones at the same time or they would be better.....over the years the have had a few excellent players, but never in a group! Jellico has never had a tremendous girls team, so it is kinda hard to put that on the coach.

Wartburg vs Oz could be the championship this week, but you could pay even odds that it might be Oakdale vs. Oneida too. Hopefully, no one takes offense to my comments because by and large all the girls coaches in this district are good.....like everyone else, they each have flaws too. Should be an interesting tournament.

This may be the stupidest post in the history of CoachT.com! 90% of the time he is talking to Thomas Davis the head coach at central middle and who is a part of the program and helps in practice and with scouting. TD is like an asst. coach. If I were going to criticize JD it would be for being overly controlling. He calls every offense and defense, handles his own substitutions, and keeps up with time outs and fouls basically himself. When we sit behind the bench it's crazy.

This may be the stupidest post in the history of CoachT.com! 90% of the time he is talking to Thomas Davis the head coach at central middle and who is a part of the program and helps in practice and with scouting. TD is like an asst. coach. If I were going to criticize JD it would be for being overly controlling. He calls every offense and defense, handles his own substitutions, and keeps up with time outs and fouls basically himself. When we sit behind the bench it's crazy.

The only problem I have with Coach Davis was when he switched over to the dark side and went to Coal Field to play ball. He did come back and now that is water under the bridge.

Bulldogplayermom... Stick to your name. Be a mom, don't post on coacht like a high schooler, or if you do at least sound smart. Consulting the middle school coach? Hmmm... I heard he's a real winner. Maybe he was asking on how to discipline? All aside, Wartburg will win tonight, Way too much talent wearing blue not enough wearing purple and gold. Who's the best coach in the district? Let's look at "succuess rate". Looks to me like Christopher, but I guess I'm a numbers guy.

Coalfield- 3 Trips to the state since 05..... Record since 05- 117-82 (58%) Won a Region

Oliver Springs- 4 Trips to the State since 05...... Record since 05- 150-77 (66%) Won 5 District 3 Regions

Wartburg- 1 Trip to the State since 05.... Record Since 05- 114-84 (58%) Won a District and a Region

Oakdale- None...... Record since 05- 139-74 (65%) Won a Region.

Forget the score of the Oneida/Oakdale game, but Oakdale won by about 13 I believe. The game never was really close after the first quarter. A few times Oneida cut it to double digits, then Oakdale would go on a little run.

The Wartburg/OS game...wow! killer game. Wartburg won 40-38.

OS started the game and jumped all over Wartburg, looked like they may blow em out, but it tightened up and ended up being one of the best down to the wire games that I've seen in awhile. Those freshmen twins from OS have a lot of good ball ahead of them.

Edited by 4aFan4U

agreed i thought i the oakdale win was upset wasnt expecting that the wartburg - OS battle wow they will meet again when it means something more no doubt should be another good game all in all was a tough battle tonite 2 good teams 1 had to lose the twins from OS my hats off to them they kick butt kristy phillips sinking 2 free throws with 6 seconds to seal the deal =MONEY

Bulldogplayermom... Stick to your name. Be a mom, don't post on coacht like a high schooler, or if you do at least sound smart. Consulting the middle school coach? Hmmm... I heard he's a real winner. Maybe he was asking on how to discipline? All aside, Wartburg will win tonight, Way too much talent wearing blue not enough wearing purple and gold. Who's the best coach in the district? Let's look at "succuess rate". Looks to me like Christopher, but I guess I'm a numbers guy.

Coalfield- 3 Trips to the state since 05..... Record since 05- 117-82 (58%) Won a Region

Oliver Springs- 4 Trips to the State since 05...... Record since 05- 150-77 (66%) Won 5 District 3 Regions

Wartburg- 1 Trip to the State since 05.... Record Since 05- 114-84 (58%) Won a District and a Region

Oakdale- None...... Record since 05- 139-74 (65%) Won a Region.

bitterfan,

I am by no means a davis supporter or fan but could you explain to me what 2005 has to do with anything. He didn't even coach high school then. In 5 years as head coach he has won 4A 2 times and 2A one time, been 4A runner up twice and 2A runner up twice and won the regular season 4A title. They have been in a sub-state 3/4 years and may get back this year Wartburg also has not missed a regional tournament the others all have i think. All the other record stuff isn't important. Who cares if a team wins more games in november. It's about the tournament. I believe you are one that was on here giving him trouble earlier. I have been critical in the past and will be again but I will also be fair i dont care who he talks to during a game seems to me thats his business

you also have coalfield in the state 3 times since 05 they have been 2 times i know our towns basketball and your facts are not right

Edited by coalfieldjacketfan96

I feel like the games at wartburg in the girls side went about like the regular season did. Congrats to Wartburg on a hard fought victory over oliver springs.

I don't understand why our girls can't do to oakdale what the wartburg team did in the way of attacking the outside shooters. Why we would leave thompson open the better part of the first half is something i will never understand. I do think that we have a good young coach and she will get better but we have got to learn how to cover people on defense. I didn't see over 3 open shots in the champ game with os and wartburg battling it out. Those teams play DEFENSE! Oakdale and Oneida were in the consolation game because they don't play very much.

Hope the region is better for our girls good luck to all 4A teams moving on

bitterfan your name says it all! I only said that was a stupid post and it was! I never said JD was the best coach in the dist or that christopher was a bad one. Both have positives and negatives. jacketfan seems to be on point. I am not arguing the point but a head to head comparison between os and wartburg shows them to be pretty close to equal since 07-08

From Coacht Schedules

07-08

WB Region Champs State Tourney Rd. 1

OS Dist Champs State Tourney Rd. 1

advantage - even

08-09

WB Sub State 2 A runners up

OS 4A and 2A Champs State Tourney

advantage - OS

09-10

WB 4a and 2A runner up Sub-State

OS 4A Champs out Region 2nd Rd.

advantage - WB

10-11

WB 4A champs out Region 2nd Rd

OS out in 1st rd of district (put out by Wartburg)

advantage WB

11-12

WB 4A Champs 4A reg season champs

OS 4A runner up

advantage WB...so far