Kid gets a Tech for "flopping" on a charge

gettozero

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow didn't know that! guess player might need some help from the drama teacher. seriously i wachted a coach in camp work with players on how to take a charge. the players would grab their knecks and grunt when they when to the floor.

Randy Frazier at Gleason made a living teaching his girls squad the "proper" method of flopping,and has more than one gold ball in the trophy case to show for it!I love to see a kid be aware enough to do it right(which to me is exaggerating the effect of legitimate contact),but at the same time I'll agree that "faking" contact altogther is underhanded and shouldn't be tolerated by the ref's(don't think a tech should be called unless it is repeated a few times though).Frazier actually ran drills in pregame warmups where players doing dribble-drills spun away from one defender into another,and the second would "flop".This drill was done in full view of the crowd and ref's...go figure!

It happens all the time and I see it atleast once or twice a game where a kid tries to draw a charge. I have no problem with it if it is in the rule book, I didn't know this either, but if the ref is going to call it in this game he better be calling it every game to stay consistant...

This is a tricky rule, yet with all judgement calls, it's probably one they should revisit. Flopping to try and draw the call, you pretty much just took yourself out of the play cause you are now laying on the ground as your man proceeds by. If you are gonna stop play to call a T, just call a foul if the guy flops in the way or disrupts the play in any way. If you didn't get fooled by the flop, I don't see the harm.

This along with "hanging on the rim" are two calls that are strictly based on judgement and with the caliber of officiating nowadays, you've just given someone the tools to not only turn the game, yet the next two as well. 2T's=ejection=2game suspension. Just sayin.

I did not know this rule either.

It seems like a technical is over the top. However, it might be the appropriate type of foul to call. How would you call a personal foul if there was not contact to justify?

It is a sportsmanship issue that needs to be addressed.

Same way a Technical also counts as a personal foul. Maybe create a new category, throw a flag or better yet just laugh at him and move on. I just don't see all technical fouls being considered in the same category. If you are arguing a call, cussing, throwing punches etc., and you do that twice in one game, you probably deserve to sit out a few. But leaving "judgement" as the deciding factor on some of them is a vendetta waiting to happen. I'm not knocking the officiating these days but I'm sure everyone here has questioned the motives during one game or another this year.

A player does not receive a technical for "flopping" during a judgement charge/block call. A player receives a technical when there is no contact made and the defensive players falls anyway. It is a technical to help protect the offensive player from breaking an ankle on defender that slid underneath him and flopped on the ground.

Please understand the rules of the game if you are going to post on here. You are the same parents I hear yelling "how was it a foul if he didn't even touch him?" That's exactly why its a foul!!!!

Officials in the TSSAA have all of the leverage because the TSSAA refuses to come down in these guys when they do foul up. Why? The fact of the matter is that the TSSAA needs them more than they need the money that they get for doing the games. Officials have all of the leverage over players, coaches, fans, and the TSSAA and as a result a bunch of "wanna-be heroes" is what I would like to call the guys who blow their whistles during these basketball games. Very rarely these days will you ever attend a high school basketball game and not see an official trying to play a key role during the game's most crucial moments. I was at Waverly last week for the Cheatham-Waverly game. 2 of the 3 officials calling that game were from Waverly. Who do they answer to? Buddy Forrest Where is Buddy Forrest from? Waverly Guess what the free throw difference was in that contest? 27-6 Guess which team shot 27 free throws? Waverly