B.T.Washington Warriors

BTWSheriff

I've been in high school basketball a long time and there is no way you score 149 points in a high school game unless you have a full court press most if not the entire game. The coach should be fired, and i for one will be rooting for any team that beats BTW. What are you teaching the kids on this team? This is a disgrace to high school athletics and so is the coach.

I get so tired of this so called not being professional, no class etc....Blah, Blah, Blah. First of all Coacht strength of schedule is not a good measuring point. It's based on wins and losses. It doesn't take into consideration out of state opponents etc. boys basketball is better/stronger in West TN #fact Some of the teams that I've seen play in Middle and East Tn, don't have the skill set of a high school team/player. It simply wouldn't matter if JV played or not, some teams are just that bad. So what do you do, tell a kid to quit, when he is taught to give his all or get benched. I don't think so. It's good to get beat bad sometimes, it should teach a child to try harder, I would tell my kid this same exact thing. Some Parents coddle kids entirely too much. I'm not saying that Booker T. Washington is going to win the A gold ball, because they don't have a good coach. But the gold ball will come back to West TN.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said they were unbeatable. Just that out was absurd to think that a non memphis team was just gonna beat them simply based off their district schedule. I always said westwood was a good team. westwood came out tonight playing like they had something to prove. BTW looked over them as this is the fourth time they have played each other this month. BTW deserved to lose. The talk around town is that the 1A championship is pretty much between westwood and btw

I'll be surprised if either btw or Westwood make it to state. Westwood only beat Jackson county by 12 and their possible state champs? What a joke! Strength of schedule for both of these teams-what a joke!!

I get so tired of this so called not being professional, no class etc....Blah, Blah, Blah. First of all Coacht strength of schedule is not a good measuring point. It's based on wins and losses. It doesn't take into consideration out of state opponents etc. boys basketball is better/stronger in West TN #fact Some of the teams that I've seen play in Middle and East Tn, don't have the skill set of a high school team/player. It simply wouldn't matter if JV played or not, some teams are just that bad. So what do you do, tell a kid to quit, when he is taught to give his all or get benched. I don't think so. It's good to get beat bad sometimes, it should teach a child to try harder, I would tell my kid this same exact thing. Some Parents coddle kids entirely too much. I'm not saying that Booker T. Washington is going to win the A gold ball, because they don't have a good coach. But the gold ball will come back to West TN.

All fact

Truth hurts sometimes but you are right I looked at the scores of the team BTW scored 149 on and that team is just bad. They were getting beat by 50 or more in most games they played and they rarely scored over 30 points in a game.

I do think the west will dominate the gold balls agian this year. :popcorneater:

Im a BTW fan. Don't get me wrong, I hate that the score ended up that way. Im sure you wouldnt understand that is was pure talent, not running up the score, because you are not use to Memphis talent. You will soon learn.

I'm no stranger to Memphis talent,and hardly ever miss 14AA district and regional tournaments,which if you'll check trumps Memphis talent!I'm offended that you've even suggested that a team can approach 150 points in a game without an all out attempt to score every point possible including pressing the entire time...DO THE MATH.With the clock running actual playing time would be 22-26 minutes(a generous estimate) for the entire game,no way to score what BTW averages against Power Center doing baseline to baseline layup drills.Yes Newby wins Mr. Basketball,yes BTW is talented,yes they will be a threat to win the gold ball,and yes they ran the score up mercilessly on a bunch of kids powerless(no pun intended)to do anything about it.Dont even offer up the "getting the work in"excuse,inferior competition does not sharpen skills.I happen to agree with you that I'd never tell kids not to play hard,BUT the playbook(offense and defense) is in the coaches hands,and every opportunity was there to hold the score to much less margin than 120+.Playing a zone while walking the ball up the floor and a 4 pass minimum are legitimate tactics in the game,and would've held the Grizzlies to a lesser score.

Do those of you who have spent the last 3 days dogging BTW and their ONLY poster out, not have anything better to do than express your ill wishes towards a bunch of kids?

These boards were created by,and are policed by a good Christian man for the masses to express their collective opinions regarding high school sports.The masses have spoken,they/we for the most part feel that running the score up to the degree that it was done shows bad sportsmanship.You have the same freedom to express your opinion here as everyone else,and if you truly believe that no one was wronged needlessly...well we disagree,but I respect your right to your opinion.What I do not care for is the haughty,holier than attitude while trying to imply that anyone has ill will toward anyone else or that their only poster is being "ganged up on" because the majority feels differently than he/she does.

Im a BTW fan. Don't get me wrong, I hate that the score ended up that way. Im sure you wouldnt understand that is was pure talent, not running up the score, because you are not use to Memphis talent. You will soon learn.

Memphis talent?!?

That must be why Ridgeway and Southwind routinely score 4-5-6 pts in the fourth and 20% of their points after the half in beat downs.

Sure Memphis is stout with talent and RW and SW are arguably the two most talented. Each have led multiple opponents by 40+ at the half and shut it down.

It's not about the talent but the talent's leader.

Hats of to Coach Henning and Coach Edwards. May you guys battle another three times.

I am originally from Iowa and recently spent four years there and had the enjoyable experience of being associated with one of the greatest Iowa teams ever assembled, Ames High-3 D1 starters, two straight unbeaten seasons, and they never beat anyone by 100 (Bubu Palo, ISU; McDermott, Creighton; Harrison Barnes, UNC)...During my high school days in the mid 80's I had the pleasure of playing against another fine team, the Palmer Panthers (featured on GMA in 1987) that had 2 guys go on to be 4 yr D1 starters-they won 117 straight without a player taller than 6'2", averaged over 90 pts/game during the run with only 14 boys in the entire high school, never beat anyone by 100...I promise you both of those teams would sweep your BTW...both of these teams are the most FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND I have ever seen, they respected their opponents, and respected officials...to appluade a team beating anyone by 100 three times and running up 149 is disrespectful and the coach should be fired...oh and there are TEAMS that can beat the unbeatable, just ask GURU or anyone from Clarksville Academy that had 2 Mr Basketball finalists on one team