Region 7 Tournament

TheTroll

Orangefuzz did we watch the same game? Lake County jumped out to a 16-5 lead after 1 quarter holding UC to 2 field goals the ENTIRE period. Second Quarter saw neither team shoot it particularly well and LC struggled when Devon Jones and Derrick Swift both picked up 2 fouls and sat almost the entire quarter. With that said the lead was stretched to as much as 16 at one point but credit UC for not quitting. Lake county shot 21-35 from the FT line line for the game which equates to 60%. With that said LC was 6-6 from the line in the first half so they shot 15-29 in the 2nd half which is 51%. They did not light it up from the foul line either. They make half of the ones they missed, plus the one wipped off for a lane violation, and it is a comfortable 16-18 point win. I agree this is not the strongest UC team but they played hard last night and kept it respectible by not giving up. Did not want to get on here and degrade UC's effort by complaining about FT shooting too much or the officiating. Another big issue for LC was Devon Jones and Derrick Swift both picking up their 3rd fouls early in the 3rd period and had to sit almost the entire quarter. Officiating was horrible in my opinion for the game, not just against LC, but way too many fouls called 15 in the 3rd quarter alone. UC in the bonus with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. Also don't know how many walks by UC ball handlers was missed as well. So to say game would have been closer if UC hit FTs is a bit of stretch. Just wanted to point out FTs and fouls are part of the game, teams must adjust and LC was able to adjust enough to get win. All that matters this time of year. Humboldt is a HOT team right now and playing very well but I have a feeling my Falcons will be up for the challenge thursday night. In 3 meetings this year the games have been tight with neither team winning by "how many they want" as was stateds earlier so I guess I will leave it by saying we will see Thursday night.

just responding to tigerinvestigator's bemoaning the fact LC didnt hit free-throws or the game wouldnt have been close////UC missed alot also...in now way was I giving UC props...just not a very good team...gave good effort though...still believe LC is in trouble barring a quick turnaround...they just dont seem to have the chemistry it takes this time of the year...hopefully they can find it all of a sudden

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orangefuzz did we watch the same game? Lake County jumped out to a 16-5 lead after 1 quarter holding UC to 2 field goals the ENTIRE period. Second Quarter saw neither team shoot it particularly well and LC struggled when Devon Jones and Derrick Swift both picked up 2 fouls and sat almost the entire quarter. With that said the lead was stretched to as much as 16 at one point but credit UC for not quitting. Lake county shot 21-35 from the FT line line for the game which equates to 60%. With that said LC was 6-6 from the line in the first half so they shot 15-29 in the 2nd half which is 51%. They did not light it up from the foul line either. They make half of the ones they missed, plus the one wipped off for a lane violation, and it is a comfortable 16-18 point win. I agree this is not the strongest UC team but they played hard last night and kept it respectible by not giving up. Did not want to get on here and degrade UC's effort by complaining about FT shooting too much or the officiating. Another big issue for LC was Devon Jones and Derrick Swift both picking up their 3rd fouls early in the 3rd period and had to sit almost the entire quarter. Officiating was horrible in my opinion for the game, not just against LC, but way too many fouls called 15 in the 3rd quarter alone. UC in the bonus with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. Also don't know how many walks by UC ball handlers was missed as well. So to say game would have been closer if UC hit FTs is a bit of stretch. Just wanted to point out FTs and fouls are part of the game, teams must adjust and LC was able to adjust enough to get win. All that matters this time of year. Humboldt is a HOT team right now and playing very well but I have a feeling my Falcons will be up for the challenge thursday night. In 3 meetings this year the games have been tight with neither team winning by "how many they want" as was stateds earlier so I guess I will leave it by saying we will see Thursday night.

I agree always a battle when these two play! I do agree Humboldt is playing very well right now. But with these two teams i don't see a blowout! Good luck to both Thursday night! Win or lose they both move on. But having home court advantage in the Sub state would be nice!

P&G totally agree with you. I said earlier in another thread I thought this was one of Sisco's best coaching jobs with the youth he had. The tornadoes will definitely be in the hunt for state tournament births the next few years. As I said my hats off to how they scrapped and fought last night. Always a war when UC/LC/Humboldt lock up. they bring the best out of each other.

just responding to tigerinvestigator's bemoaning the fact LC didnt hit free-throws or the game wouldnt have been close////UC missed alot also...in now way was I giving UC props...just not a very good team...gave good effort though...still believe LC is in trouble barring a quick turnaround...they just dont seem to have the chemistry it takes this time of the year...hopefully they can find it all of a sudden

LC is going to have to really play in their face defense the whole game and in my opinion,Swift could be the key.Swift is going to have to play tough around the basket and not give easy layups.Same on offense.Swift should have at least 10 points a game on the offensive stick backs .Same for Ricky and Devon.All three need to be attacking the boards for rebounds and not let Hum boldt get second chances like the tip ins from last week.As long as Devon and Swift are,no reason to be getting out rebounded .Have to get tough and LC is going to have to play smart.Get a lead,dont think because we have a big lead,take a crazy shot.Play team ball and things will be ok.Watched Humboldt last night and several times ,the Vikings had a good look at the basket from about 5 feet but passed the shot up and gave the ball to Bryson for about 5 easy layups.The Vikings are playing unselfish basketball and it's showing on the score board.

Edited by mrbigster

Game would have been much closer had UC hit their free-throws...credit UC for competing but this may be UC's weakest team in the Sisco era...I would love to see LC repeat but they are far from playing good basketball at the moment...barring a turnaround from LC I see Humboldt winning by as many as they want in finals

I aree whole heartedly. Go Lake County!

but Humboldt wins by 10.

i also think Lake Co and Humboldt has a great chance to go to the Boro even if they play Westwood and BTW.Why?We dont actually know how good BTW really is by their schedule.I'm sure they are good but cant believe there are many single a teams playing any better than Humboldt at the moment.Also.Lake co has fared pretty well when they played Liberty,Southside,Brentwood even though they lost or at least split with Southside.a win by Lake Co over Humboldt evens the series.May not happen but all the games thus far were close.Or at least not blow outs.And Brooks was on fire as was Rafael.What if either of those two arent shooting or playing well?Also.I think a lot of Lake Co's problems is playing against greenfield,Humboldt,Union City so many times.Those teams know the LC athletes.What some of the players like to do .a team that hasnt played them ,may have scouted them but dont know some things these teams know.BTW probably plays man to man.They may not have played a zone and could have some seams that LC can exploit.So I think a lot is Humboldt ,LC and teams in our district know each other so well.LC-Humboldt can go either way.Both teams have athletes and Brooks may not be hitting.Maybe Coach B surprises Humboldt and plays a zone?Maybe put a taller player like Devon Jones out front.Extend the zone out to not give Brooks a open look.Maybe Coach B puts a taller man on Brooks man to man.?A Box and One.Maybe coach B doesnt change anything.Goes with Zay Coleman on him and see if he's hitting?I think this game can go either way although Humboldt is paying very well.LC has to come out and play with intensity,defense but more than anything,play smart and team ball.Also have noticed that Humboldt has gotten easy points off the press.If the press isnt causing turnovers,get down the floor or call it off and play defense.I believe Coach B likes to press hoping somewhere during the game that Humboldt will tire a little and turn the ball over or start missing some shots.So a lot of things can happen in this game.Humboldt is going to play a zone.Maybe LC comes out Red Hot.,Swift,Devon or Ricky Boyd could be huge if rafael and Zay drives and instead of firing up dipsy doo behind the head layups and dish the ball off.Swift can have a field day if he comes to play.Really play.

Edited by mrbigster

i also think Lake Co and Humboldt has a great chance to go to the Boro even if they play Westwood and BTW.

Well, you won't be playing Westwood. :unsure: Funny thing was the Humboldt players in front of us cheering for Trinity - we all knew they had rather play TCA than Westwood....guess pretty much the same thing that Westwood was thinking earlier today. (will say all the Humboldt kids in front of us were very respectful - made sure that if they stood up we could see, etc....enjoyed being around them). Good luck to all the teams remaining.

i also think Lake Co and Humboldt has a great chance to go to the Boro even if they play Westwood and BTW.Why?We dont actually know how good BTW really is by their schedule.I'm sure they are good but cant believe there are many single a teams playing any better than Humboldt at the moment.Also.Lake co has fared pretty well when they played Liberty,Southside,Brentwood even though they lost or at least split with Southside.a win by Lake Co over Humboldt evens the series.May not happen but all the games thus far were close.Or at least not blow outs.And Brooks was on fire as was Rafael.What if either of those two arent shooting or playing well?Also.I think a lot of Lake Co's problems is playing against greenfield,Humboldt,Union City so many times.Those teams know the LC athletes.What some of the players like to do .a team that hasnt played them ,may have scouted them but dont know some things these teams know.BTW probably plays man to man.They may not have played a zone and could have some seams that LC can exploit.So I think a lot is Humboldt ,LC and teams in our district know each other so well.LC-Humboldt can go either way.Both teams have athletes and Brooks may not be hitting.Maybe Coach B surprises Humboldt and plays a zone?Maybe put a taller player like Devon Jones out front.Extend the zone out to not give Brooks a open look.Maybe Coach B puts a taller man on Brooks man to man.?A Box and One.Maybe coach B doesnt change anything.Goes with Zay Coleman on him and see if he's hitting?I think this game can go either way although Humboldt is paying very well.LC has to come out and play with intensity,defense but more than anything,play smart and team ball.Also have noticed that Humboldt has gotten easy points off the press.If the press isnt causing turnovers,get down the floor or call it off and play defense.I believe Coach B likes to press hoping somewhere during the game that Humboldt will tire a little and turn the ball over or start missing some shots.So a lot of things can happen in this game.Humboldt is going to play a zone.Maybe LC comes out Red Hot.,Swift,Devon or Ricky Boyd could be huge if rafael and Zay drives and instead of firing up dipsy doo behind the head layups and dish the ball off.Swift can have a field day if he comes to play.Really play.

The difference in Humboldt at this point is the Vikes wre playing team ball. They are also playing smart basketball. Thursday night Lake County must get it all togather to beat a very hot Viking team. Also the play of Kimble and the bench role play of Bryson has done very good job coming off the bench. He picked up 15 the other night against the Jackets! Humboldt knows as well as any team the Falcons are as good as anyone when they have it clicking! Good luck to both as they move toward the Boro!

Congrats to the Vikings and Lake Co. Man, the Vikings were red hot the other night against Greenfield. I've heard that Humboldt shot 90% from the field in the 1st half....90%! Does anyone know the percentage for the entire game? Because, they didnt cool off much in the 2nd half...if they continue to shoot like that, then there wont be anyone that can beat them....

And, as hot as Humboldt was...the Jackets just couldnt hit a shot...we were cold...but, we did have a good year, and I'm proud of our boys. We have a lot of good players coming back next year, as well...and we should have a lot more height, as well....