Private School Recruiting

Iceman76

No dog in this fight but, the only way Alcoa and CAK play more then once in a season is because of their winning and meeting again in the playoffs --- its not scheduled that way. Isnt that the same for all "powerhouse teams" when the playoffs roll around?

True. My point was simply to address the "man up" comment. If CAK went D2 we would not face Alcoa at all. So if we were "running" from adversity and not "manning up" like he suggested, then D2 would be a quick fix. To me it is much more honorable to face the "giant" than to run from him. Obviously this poster has an issue with CAK and/or private D1's, thats not news. But to imply cowardliness is way off base when it comes to CAK.

Edited by FootballDad

That way he won't have to call 80-100 schools trying to fill out a non-conference schedule.

Most public schools even Maryville and Alcoa do not have that kind of problem finding non-conference opponents. Even small school success stories like Trousdale or South Pitt do not have huge issues filling the schedule. Is there a feeling amoung the publics (founded or unfounded) that it is best to not play privates as a way to force them into D2?

OW, while Maryville and Alcoa may not have to call as many schools as CAK does, they do have a tremendously difficult time scheduling non-district games. One thing that helps Maryville & Alcoa is that they play each other annually. That accounts for 1 non-district game each year. I know Alcoa in particular has an added burden, like CAK, due to the district only having 6 teams, thus guaranteeing you only 5 games. While CAK has to find 5 out of district games, Alcoa still has to find 4, and believe me, no one is lining up and begging the Tornadoes to come play for 2 years. I would also be willing, without looking at past schedules yet, to say that Trousdale and S.Pitt find most of their non-district games from playing up a division or two. CAK has tried the same approach, with limited success, but has been turned down by almost every 5A or 6A team in Knox County. Fulton (4A) won't play either.

While I lean towards Warriors2011 belief that the TSSAA playoff qualifications plays the biggest role in all of this, I do agree with you that there is a number of public coaches that are trying to force the D1 privates into the D2 division by not scheduling them. But my conversations with a couple local coaches of 6A teams resulted in them saying straight out that they had everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing CAK.

Edited by FootballDad

OW, while Maryville and Alcoa may not have to call as many schools as CAK does, they do have a tremendously difficult time scheduling non-district games. One thing that helps Maryville & Alcoa is that they play each other annually. That accounts for 1 non-district game each year. I know Alcoa in particular has an added burden, like CAK, due to the district only having 6 teams, thus guaranteeing you only 5 games. While CAK has to find 5 out of district games, Alcoa still has to find 4, and believe me, no one is lining up and begging the Tornadoes to come play for 2 years. I would also be willing, without looking at past schedules yet, to say that Trousdale and S.Pitt find most of their non-district games from playing up a division or two. CAK has tried the same approach, with limited success, but has been turned down by almost every 5A or 6A team in Knox County. Fulton (4A) won't play either.

While I lean towards Warriors2011 belief that the TSSAA playoff qualifications plays the biggest role in all of this, I do agree with you that there is a number of public coaches that are trying to force the D1 privates into the D2 division by not scheduling them. But my conversations with a couple local coaches of 6A teams resulted in them saying straight out that they had everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing CAK.

Wow I didn't realize that CAK was such a powerhouse that no one wants to play them. I thought Alcoa was the big dog in that region. I thought CAK was a soccer school. I sure bet everyone in East TN just hates the fact that they may have to play CAK, you know since they have all those championships. The coach probably doesn't teach a class so he has plenty of time to call all those schools and beg them to play. Hey, here is an idea, why don't CAK and Grace play about three times a year. I don't hear they name mentioned a whole lot except to say that they got caught cheating. "Imagine that"

Wow I didn't realize that CAK was such a powerhouse that no one wants to play them. I thought Alcoa was the big dog in that region. I thought CAK was a soccer school. I sure bet everyone in East TN just hates the fact that they may have to play CAK, you know since they have all those championships. The coach probably doesn't teach a class so he has plenty of time to call all those schools and beg them to play. Hey, here is an idea, why don't CAK and Grace play about three times a year. I don't hear they name mentioned a whole lot except to say that they got caught cheating. "Imagine that"

Sorry if you think I am implying that CAK is a powerhouse. I"m not suggesting that at all, although I'm sure it could sound that way on the surface to someone who is predisposed to feel that way. All of this conversation, at least from me, is directed towards the poster who challenged CAK to "man up" by moving to D2. I believe if you read through all the posts on this thread that would be evident, but of course your tone of sarcasm reflects your position and bias very well, but thats fine with me. But to address your comments: yes, Alcoa is the big dog in our region: yes, CAK is a dominant force in soccer, both boys and girls, but that doesn't impugn our football program in the least: no, not everyone hates to play CAK, but enough don't want to that it makes scheduling a real problem, and it was a problem prior to this year, which by the way was the first year CAK has ever won their district or state,: yes, the coach does teach a class and yes he does practically have to beg to get games. I don't think anything said in this thread by CAK posters has been "chest thumping" as you imply, but merely a defense of the program.

This is just one more reason what the NON-DISTRICT schedule should NOT play a role in determining if a teams makes the playoffs or where they are seeding.

If you take Alcoa out of CAKs district over the past 10 years,I could easily see CAK ranked in the top 10 for most State titles. CAK has had one big problem in front of them over the past 5 years......Alcoa

If you take Alcoa out of CAKs district over the past 10 years,I could easily see CAK ranked in the top 10 for most State titles. CAK has had one big problem in front of them over the past 5 years......Alcoa

Oh I guess there are more teams in that district that can say the same thing. Has CAK been the runner-up in that district every year? I really could care less about the private schools or the open zone schools. The private schools parents have enough money to send their kid where ever they want and more than a few parents have drove their kids to another zone just so they can win. It's all the bragging and chest beating (as Football Dad calls it) that gets me. The real winners are teams like Livingston Academy who have to compete with the kids that are in that zone. They won a state championship and you never heard the bragging. And they should know in their heart that they didn't have to have rich parents that send their kid to any zone to be called a champion, nor did they have an open zone that any parent who wants their child to win a championship (or get that great college scholarship that never happens) No, when they go to bed at night they should know that they are just a little better than those so called champions. BUY ANOTHER AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOUR SELF!!

Oh I guess there are more teams in that district that can say the same thing. Has CAK been the runner-up in that district every year? I really could care less about the private schools or the open zone schools. The private schools parents have enough money to send their kid where ever they want and more than a few parents have drove their kids to another zone just so they can win. It's all the bragging and chest beating (as Football Dad calls it) that gets me. The real winners are teams like Livingston Academy who have to compete with the kids that are in that zone. They won a state championship and you never heard the bragging. And they should know in their heart that they didn't have to have rich parents that send their kid to any zone to be called a champion, nor did they have an open zone that any parent who wants their child to win a championship (or get that great college scholarship that never happens) No, when they go to bed at night they should know that they are just a little better than those so called champions. BUY ANOTHER AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOUR SELF!!

Wow. Somewhere along the way somebody has done or said something to leave a bitter taste in your mouth. The "bragging and chest beating" you're talking about is, frankly, something I have not seen out of CAK fans on this board. If you have seen that kind of attitude from a CAK fan, I challenge you to point us to a specific example.

I suspect you don't mean to come across as criticizing people for wanting their kids to attend the best schools they can, or perhaps you do think it's wrong for parents to feel that way. If you feel that way, you probably don't have kids. Personally, I grew up on the poor end of the socio-economic spectrum and attended public school out in the country. But I've been blessed and fortunate enough in adulthood that I'm able to send my kids to CAK.

We've been at CAK going on 11 years now, and I can tell you that CAK people by and large are not braggarts or chest-beaters. In fact, if you spent much time around any of them, you'd probably like them--down-to-earth, decent people who offer a mean banana pudding at the concession stand at football games. Please don't lump them in your overgeneralized, class envy bitterness.

Peace to you, brother.

Edited by Warriors2011

BD, that is really the issue for you, based on your own words. And thats OK with me, we all have our own bias and I'm sure others may agree with you. But once again, I truly don't think I have posted anything that would be considered by most rational unbiased readers to be chest beating on CAK's part. In fact, I believe most of the CAK supporters have shown great humbleness in light of recent athletic success. You have an immediate distaste for CAK because they are a private school and you assume all the kids are rich, which they are not. And I think it is great that Livingston Academy won a state championship. They proved that if you keep working hard, despite some adversity during the regular season, that you can still accomplish your goals. I know our coaches have mentioned that to our players in the past, specifically citing Livingston Academy. I was impressed and respect their accomplishment. But I don't subscribe for one second to the notion that their championship is any more real than the one CAK just EARNED on the field. CAK has no real athletic advantage other than some parents do have the resources to send their kids to camps or get additional training, but the kids still have to do the work. Since CAK has NO zone we are not guaranteed any students or players. We are dependent on having families that 1) have enough income and are willing to spend it to send their children there rather than save the money by going to public, 2) choose CAK over other area privates, 3) that those kids are athletic, tough, and willing to sacrifice what it takes to win, 4) that there are enough of those kids to field a team, 5) that they are good enough and well coached enough to overcome the 1.8 multiplier which forces them to play against schools that have a much larger student population to draw from. So you are WAY off base as far as I'm concerned with your comment about who the "real winners" are. My son sleeps just as well every night as any other kid on a championship team, public, private, open zone, etc... He and his teammates and their parents haven't bought one thing as far as athletic victories or championships go. They are a band of brothers whose sacrifice on the practice and game field is as REAL as anyone else's. You can feel as negatively as you like about privates, or presumed people with money, and have great pride in your local area school's athletic teams and their accomplishments. But to suggest that those hard working, good kids that won a state championship for CAK this year are in some way LESS deserving than others who attend public schools is simply disgusting.

Edited by FootballDad

Not sure how many more titles CAK would have won but I think at least a couple more. I agree that Alcoa has been one HUGE problem for CAK. But I've said many times, Alcoa has expedited CAK's football development. "Iron sharpens iron".

They don't brag and chest beat, but apparently their fans do, because you just did.