Strength Of Schedule (The Myth)

nebuntyn

As I've stated in several post the Coach T strength of schedule is not a good measuring stick. Here is the formula.

The Schedule Strength column (left) ranks teams based on the

average win percentage of their scheduled opponents.

The Strength + Success column (right) combines the opponent win percentage

from the left with the team's own win percentage. Teams that perform better

against opponents that perform better will rank higher.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These rankings are updated every morning

and are based only on scores reported to CoachT.com

A....Summertown's strength of schedule is number 1. But their strength versus succuess drops to #25

Booker T. Washington's strength of schedule is a 105. But their strength versus success is #3

AA....Stone Memorial is number 1 But their strength versus success is #8

Here is the joke of the day......Liberty Tech strength of success is #94. But their strength versus success is 15.

Joke of the day #2.....Bolivar Central strength of success is number 82. But their strength versus success is #5

Bolivar and Liberty play for district 14AA formerly district 12AA. These two teams have won 6 of the last 8 state titles. This district is by far the toughest AA district in the state. If Liberty had not moved to AAA for a few years, I truly believe they would have 2 more AA Championships.

AAA.....Jackson Northside is ranked number 1 (Lmao) Strength versus success, they fall to 86. *They lost last night.

Joke of the day #3.....Ridgeway strength of schedule is #113. Strength versus success is #13

Joke of the day #4 Southwind strength of schedule is #112. Strength versus success #23 Southwind lost last night. Also Ridgeway and Southwind are ranked as high 11 and 12th in the nation on some polls.

RIDGEWAY AND SOUTHWIND PLAY IN THE SAME DISTRICT. West Tn has 6 or 7 possible AAA State Champions, 6 from the Memphis area plus Dyer County. They all can't make it because they have to play each other. Dyer County was also defeated last night.

SO TO CAROLINACRAZY,CRAZYNESS AND A FEW OTHERS...IT'S APPARENT THAT YOU ONLY KEEP UP WITH THE TEAMS IN YOUR AREA.

At the state tournament last year, I heard a man say, they lost 8 games how did they get here...his team had only lost 2. I said that team is 20pts better than your team. His team got blasted,the game was over in the 1st quarter. He didn't sit next to me after halftime.

Here are my predictions

AAA STATE CHAMPIONS... RIDGEWAY(MEMPHIS) GREAT COACH AND PLAYERS.

AA STATE CHAMPIONS.....LIBERTY OR BOLIVAR....I AM A LIBERTY FAN (MY DAUGHTER GRADUATED FROM LIBERTY IN 2009)

A STATE CHAMPIONS....BTW OR HUMBOLDT SHOULD WIN IT, BUT THEIR COACHING IS TERRIBLE SOMETIMES. MY HEART TELLS ME THAT LAKE COUNTY(WEST TN) WILL REPEAT AS A SINGLE A CHAMPIONS.

WEST TENNESSEE HAS THE BEST BOYS BASKETBALL IN THE STATE......PERIOD! BOOK IT!

I agree with your post in general, and I certainly agree that, overall and historically, West Tenn. has the best basketball. It is hard to argue that. I would point out, however, that I believe you will be impressed this year and the next couple of years (they are very young) with CPA. SOS does not factor in their performance in tournaments with teams outside of Tenn.. A good strength analysis is unapproved website becasue they look at all opponents. CPA was very impressive in holiday tourneys against very good teams from other states (and countries), winning in a tourney in Ky. and finishing 2nd in the Arby's classic. They play like the W.TN. teams - quickness and pressure. That is what you have to do to be able to compete with the W.Tn. teams come tournament time.

I agree with your post in general, and I certainly agree that, overall and historically, West Tenn. has the best basketball. It is hard to argue that. I would point out, however, that I believe you will be impressed this year and the next couple of years (they are very young) with CPA. SOS does not factor in their performance in tournaments with teams outside of Tenn.. A good strength analysis is unapproved website becasue they look at all opponents. CPA was very impressive in holiday tourneys against very good teams from other states (and countries), winning in a tourney in Ky. and finishing 2nd in the Arby's classic. They play like the W.TN. teams - quickness and pressure. That is what you have to do to be able to compete with the W.Tn. teams come tournament time.

Good post CPA4ever.....I will check them out this week. I saw them last year and they had the best talent in the Middle Tn area. where are their regionals being played? Are you a CPA alum?

Look guys, You want to use coacht for everything from posting dunks, scores, talking smack, etc..... But when it doesnt work to your Advantages , you dismiss it. All Im saying is as far as high school Bball goes this is the best measuring stick we have at our disposal. Its almost like a BCS formula, or when the NCAA committee is down to 2-3 teams to pick from, they ultimately go with SOS. Im not saying who will win what this year. All im saying is 5-6 of the top teams in the Memphis area had the worst SOS in Memphis and its showing up now with them getting knocked out by 10-13- teams with SOS of 52 compared to a 27-5 team that lost that had a SOS 112.

I mean, its all we have to evaluate whos ready to advance and who isnt. Im sure the Memphis teams that played the toughest schedules will advance to state.

Edited by CarolinaCrazy

I will have to disagree, the SOS is NOT the best tool we have. It is quite flawed. But when your SOS is below 100, that cannot be dismissed. I'm not saying BTW isn't a good team. I am sure they are. But they have played their entire season pratcily untested. And when they get to the point when they have to play a team who gets tested night in and night out like Lake Co. or Humboldt, I personally believe it will come back and bite them in there ####.. It kinda reminds me of some of the Cosby teams form a few years ago. Ran up a 25-2 record playing the weakest teams around, then played someone legit, and got beat.

Here's the best example I can think of. And I hate to sound like I'm gloating, but its a great example. When Unaka won the championship in 04, there were a few factors that contributed to that. One is that in all honesty, we got lucky and peaked at just the right time. But another factor was the killer schedule we played. We had 13, yes, THIRTEEN losses that season. And the reason is because Coach Ensor put together the toughest schedule he could put together. We were battle tested by the time the post season came around. And it showed, quite obviously.

I will have to disagree, the SOS is NOT the best tool we have. It is quite flawed. But when your SOS is below 100, that cannot be dismissed. I'm not saying BTW isn't a good team. I am sure they are. But they have played their entire season pratcily untested. And when they get to the point when they have to play a team who gets tested night in and night out like Lake Co. or Humboldt, I personally believe it will come back and bite them in there ####.. It kinda reminds me of some of the Cosby teams form a few years ago. Ran up a 25-2 record playing the weakest teams around, then played someone legit, and got beat.

Here's the best example I can think of. And I hate to sound like I'm gloating, but its a great example. When Unaka won the championship in 04, there were a few factors that contributed to that. One is that in all honesty, we got lucky and peaked at just the right time. But another factor was the killer schedule we played. We had 13, yes, THIRTEEN losses that season. And the reason is because Coach Ensor put together the toughest schedule he could put together. We were battle tested by the time the post season came around. And it showed, quite obviously.

lol no quality wins in memphis? Does coacht.com show the blowout win over sheffield(who knocked off a ranked raleigh egypt or the quality wins over out of state opponents. or 3 wins over a stacked Westwood team. or the fact that ESPN thinks that BTW has some of the best players in the state and thgey play in Memphis. Look at the scores last night of district 15A and 16A and you tell me if there is a difference. These are facts. Wins and losses dont weigh up in Memphis (fact that you cant argue). look at last nights games across the classes in the memphis area. anyone caon win. its that tough

As I've stated in several post the Coach T strength of schedule is not a good measuring stick. Here is the formula.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A....Summertown's strength of schedule is number 1. But their strength versus succuess drops to #25

Booker T. Washington's strength of schedule is a 105. But their strength versus success is #3

Here is the joke of the day......Liberty Tech strength of success is #94. But their strength versus success is 15.

Joke of the day #2.....Bolivar Central strength of success is number 82. But their strength versus success is #5

Bolivar and Liberty play for district 14AA formerly district 12AA. These two teams have won 6 of the last 8 state titles. This district is by far the toughest AA district in the state. If Liberty had not moved to AAA for a few years, I truly believe they would have 2 more AA Championships.

AAA.....Jackson Northside is ranked number 1 (Lmao) Strength versus success, they fall to 86. *They lost last night.

Joke of the day #3.....Ridgeway strength of schedule is #113. Strength versus success is #13

Joke of the day #4 Southwind strength of schedule is #112. Strength versus success #23 Southwind lost last night. Also Ridgeway and Southwind are ranked as high 11 and 12th in the nation on some polls.

RIDGEWAY AND SOUTHWIND PLAY IN THE SAME DISTRICT. West Tn has 6 or 7 possible AAA State Champions, 6 from the Memphis area plus Dyer County. They all can't make it because they have to play each other. Dyer County was also defeated last night.

SO TO CAROLINACRAZY,CRAZYNESS AND A FEW OTHERS...IT'S APPARENT THAT YOU ONLY KEEP UP WITH THE TEAMS IN YOUR AREA.

At the state tournament last year, I heard a man say, they lost 8 games how did they get here...his team had only lost 2. I said that team is 20pts better than your team. His team got blasted,the game was over in the 1st quarter. He didn't sit next to me after halftime.

Here are my predictions

AA STATE CHAMPIONS.....LIBERTY OR BOLIVAR....I AM A LIBERTY FAN (MY DAUGHTER GRADUATED FROM LIBERTY IN 2009)

A STATE CHAMPIONS....BTW OR HUMBOLDT SHOULD WIN IT, BUT THEIR COACHING IS TERRIBLE SOMETIMES. MY HEART TELLS ME THAT LAKE COUNTY(WEST TN) WILL REPEAT AS A SINGLE A CHAMPIONS.

People may not like this post,but you can't make a reasonable arguement against anything in it.

Stone Memorial, Alcoa, west, Science Hill, Unicoi county, cookeville, ooltewa, Giles county, Spring Hill, Perry county, McEwen

Seigal, Sullivan East, and some others may have something to say about where the gold balls go to, unless their close enough for u guys to claim them as memphis teams.

Here are my predictions

I don't care what the numbers according to "Strength of Schedule" say in the end I know that the Cheatham County Cubs have played a very challenging schedule up to this point and their wins have came against quality foes.

Here is a look at who the Cubs have played and how they've fared:

Kenwood (0-2)

Marshall County (1-0)

Camden (3-0)

Waverly (1-1)

Greenbrier (2-0)

ALL OF THESE TEAMS QUALIFIED FOR THE REGIONS

Harpeth (2-1)

DeKalb County (1-0)

Watertown (0-1)

Ravenwood (0-1)

Spring Hill: Tuesday Night at 7:30PM

ALL OF THESE TEAMS WILL BE PLAYING IN THE REGION SEMIFINALS ON TUESDAY NIGHT

The Cheatham County Cubs are 24-7 on the season. They started the year off at 4-3 overall (it took some of the football guys some time to get into basketball mode) but since that time they've compiled an overall mark of 20-4. In the games against "quality opponents" that I mentioned above they have an overall mark of 10-6.

What is my point??????????

I don't need a "Strength of Schedule" rating system to tell me whether or not a team is competitive. All I have to do is look at the results and the quality of competition and judge it for myself.

Some of those teams may have a chance to win the gold ball but I still see it traveling back to west Tn. All 3 came across the river last year and I expect the same this year as well. Hard for me to believe there are ANY single A teams better than BTW, Lake Co., Humboldt, Westwood, Middleton and TCA. Sad thing is only 2 of those will make the final 8. That is the way it goes though. In AA will be difficult for anyone to beat Boliver or Liberty and as for AAA name a memphis team left and they have a great shot at it. The only thing that could hurt West Tn is if by the luck or unluck of the draw some have to play each other in the first round. Last year Middleton and Lake Co. were fortunate enough to get on oposite sides of the bracket and you ended up with an all west TN final. It is basketball and upsets happen (Dyer Co., Southwind are good examples) but I feel the strength of basketball in TN is in the west again this year.