This is what you get

texas23

I don't understand why someone feels the need to keep changing things. I still don't get the last change, putting Soddy, Cleveland and Bradley in the same region. Let's drive past 6 schools that aren't in our region to wrestle this one that is?

I guess we need to teach our kids that hard work is not the way to win. Let's just change things around so you can win.

You've got to remember that the wrestling regions are based on football regions....not the other way around. It doesn't make sense to us because we are looking at it from a different persepctive. Wrestling wasn't even a consideration when the regions were put into place in the last classification cycle. You might want to start thinking about what will happen if they go back to 5 divisions in football in 2013. Who will be in your region then? Maybe all six of those schools that you passed.

Edited by TDArtist

I am not sure what the final answer is to the A/AA/AAA/Private debate.

There are some real issues there that people tend to ignore so they can spout a great one-liner on CoachT. I am pretty sure that the Private/Public boat has left the dock and is not coming back anytime soon. So, we can set that aside for the time being.

What I find funny is htat everyone wants to grow the sport within our existing framework by adding kids clubs. That's a great idea and I'm blessed to have a couple of middle school and kids club coaches that do great work. What I don't get is how this helps all of the many, many A/AA (heck, even some AAA)schools out there that do not even offer wrestling. How is starting a kids club going to get new programs going? Again, I am not sure that a split is the answer but what we have now is certainly not attracting very many new schools to the sport.

Good points. Its a complex issue and I dont think there is any clear cut answer. I think there are many things that need to happen to grow the sort. I do think that if you have kids growing up wrestling then when they get to middle school or high school they are going to want to continue to wrestle and will be passionate about bringing this to their school district. I know if my sons put in all that time a dedication and then got to middle or high school and didnt have a venue to wrestle I would raise immortal hel* until something was done. If you dont have any wrestlers or wrestling parents I think starting a program is much harder and much more unlikely to happen. If you already have passionate people in place in love with the sport then your odds of getting a program started are much more likely.

I am not sure what the final answer is to the A/AA/AAA/Private debate.

There are some real issues there that people tend to ignore so they can spout a great one-liner on CoachT. I am pretty sure that the Private/Public boat has left the dock and is not coming back anytime soon. So, we can set that aside for the time being.

What I find funny is htat everyone wants to grow the sport within our existing framework by adding kids clubs. That's a great idea and I'm blessed to have a couple of middle school and kids club coaches that do great work. What I don't get is how this helps all of the many, many A/AA (heck, even some AAA)schools out there that do not even offer wrestling. How is starting a kids club going to get new programs going? Again, I am not sure that a split is the answer but what we have now is certainly not attracting very many new schools to the sport.

I can definitely see both sides to this situation. Although i can say that when starting up a new program, while part of the survival to that new program is feeder programs (along with many other factors like admin support, financial support, knowledgable coaching, etc), the other part is success. I have helped start up a program in an area that doesn't support nor understands the sport, but was lucky enough to originally be placed in a region that they could be competitive in. Since that time, region alignments have been changed and that program is in with the Bradleys, Clevelands, of the world.

Now, with that being said, I'm currently attempting to start another program at a different HS within the same area. With the current region alignments, and the current A/AA/AAA set-up, there isn't much chance that the new program would have much success or even survive.

Again, I agree with the old school mentality most have mentioned on here about this, but also see the other side of the coin. If the reason for making the change is to hopefully grow the sport with additional HS teams, yes I'm for the change. If the change is to hopefully grow the sport within the current teams, no I'm not for the change (don't believe these proposed changes will have that effect).

Is there a list of all the teams in the state that had varsity wrestling during the recently completed season, even if they had few individuals competing.

Go to the last TSSAA State Championship (search in Google: TSSAA Wrestling 2012)...and look at the Abbreviation Page...it lists ALL schools that offer wrestling.

If we do away with the DI/DII classifications to promote "one state champion" as desired by some, then why stop there? We should do the same in Football, Basketball and all other HS sports in the TSSAA. Also note, that all other sports in the TSSAA have a split at the A/AA level from the AAA. Funny no one is mentioning that in this discussion thread. While we are at it lets get all of those unneeded collegiate National Champions in NAIA, DII and DIII out of the way so we will have a "one true national champion" as well. I think lining up King College and Penn State would be an interesting match up......

Now my sarcasm aside, I do not believe in watering down the sport. I do believe in allowing teams to fairly compete against other like teams for championships that are based on a equitable field of opportunity. DII is not going away and we can all pretty much acknowledge that fact and move on. Allowing a individual A/AA Championship will not, in my opinion, water down the sport. Allowing the A/AA duals did not do that and I do not feel that an individual championship tournament will accomplish that either. I do not agree with other states that have 5 or 6 classifications when they do not have the number of teams/individuals to justify that many classes. Having three would be the break point and hopefully provide the additional avenue for some schools that have nominal success the further develop their teams.

If we do away with the DI/DII classifications to promote "one state champion" as desired by some, then why stop there? We should do the same in Football, Basketball and all other HS sports in the TSSAA. Also note, that all other sports in the TSSAA have a split at the A/AA level from the AAA. Funny no one is mentioning that in this discussion thread. While we are at it lets get all of those unneeded collegiate National Champions in NAIA, DII and DIII out of the way so we will have a "one true national champion" as well. I think lining up King College and Penn State would be an interesting match up......

Now my sarcasm aside, I do not believe in watering down the sport. I do believe in allowing teams to fairly compete against other like teams for championships that are based on a equitable field of opportunity. DII is not going away and we can all pretty much acknowledge that fact and move on. Allowing a individual A/AA Championship will not, in my opinion, water down the sport. Allowing the A/AA duals did not do that and I do not feel that an individual championship tournament will accomplish that either. I do not agree with other states that have 5 or 6 classifications when they do not have the number of teams/individuals to justify that many classes. Having three would be the break point and hopefully provide the additional avenue for some schools that have nominal success the further develop their teams.

Comparing wrestling to football is ridiculous. There arent enough wrestling schools in Tennessee to support divisions. Let me rephrase that, there arent enough schools who actually care about wrestling in Tennessee to support divisions. Did making classes for the duals help increase participation? No, it did not and neither will creating divisions in the individual tournament. Who is going to coach these proposed new teams? We dont have enough quality coaches right now as it is. Thats why the same schools win year in and year out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about the split is so scary? What will it hurt? If it's the quality of the tournament, then I got some bad news......It's not that tough to begin with. VA duals, B.O.T.E., The iron man, Fargo and the Senior nationals are always available if someone wants tough. The DII tourny is obviously not that tough, but does that mean Watson couldn't compete in DI? Would the DI champ be better off if he'd finished second? Would "wrestling"? Who is the victim?

However TN decides to hand out medals at the end of the year is not going to effect the quality of our top guys. Take Matt Keller and Philip Simpson. Both competed after the split and both did fine. Had it been one division, one of them wouldn't have been a 4xer. Would they have been better wrestlers if that had happened? Who got hurt? I think there are positives and negatives to the A/AA split, but It's going to happen.

What about the split is so scary? What will it hurt? If it's the quality of the tournament, then I got some bad news......It's not that tough to begin with. VA duals, B.O.T.E., The iron man, Fargo and the Senior nationals are always available if someone wants tough. The DII tourny is obviously not that tough, but does that mean Watson couldn't compete in DI? Would the DI champ be better off if he'd finished second? Would "wrestling"? Who is the victim?

However TN decides to hand out medals at the end of the year is not going to effect the quality of our top guys. Take Matt Keller and Philip Simpson. Both competed after the split and both did fine. Had it been one division, one of them wouldn't have been a 4xer. Would they have been better wrestlers if that had happened? Who got hurt? I think there are positives and negatives to the A/AA split, but It's going to happen.

Let the split happen. Just keep the large schools at 32 this will get more participants at state.

dii tournament is not that tough? Why is it not that tough? because there arent as many cream puffs? Have you looked at the lineups and compared weight classes between the two divisions? Not even close this year.

as a matter of fact the depth was actually much tougher for dIi in some weights. There was only one weight where i had DI as the clear cut favorite and even that weight wasnt a given. If there was a dual meet between the two it would have been very lopsided. DIi would win by 30+ pts this year.

106- 1) division II, 2) Div I, 3) Div I, 4) Toss up, 5) Div II , 6) Div II

113- 1&2) toss up, 3-6 Div II

120) 1&2) toss up, 3) div II, 3) Div I, 3-6 div II

126) 1) div II, 2) div II, 3) div 1, 4)div I 5) div I, 6) div I

132 1) Div I, 2-6 Div II

138 1) div II, 2) div II, 3) div I, 4-6 Div II

145 1) Div II, 2) div I, 3) Div I, 4) div II 5&6) div I

152 1) Div II, 2) div II, 3-6) toss up

160)1) div II, 2) div II, 3) div II, 4-6) div I

170)1) div II, 2) div I, 3) div II, 4) div I, 5) div II, 6) div II

182) 1) div II. 2) div I, 3) div I, 4) div I, 5) div II, 6) div I

195) 1-2) toss up, 3) div II, 4-6) div I

220) 1)div II, 2) div I, 3) div I, 4) div I, 5) divII, 6) div I

Hwt) 1&2) toss up 3-6 dont know

According to the tssaa.org website it looks like there is approximately 70 A-AA schools listed for wrestling. I am just curious, of those 70 teams how many do not actually field a wrestling team or just have partial teams? There are teams like Sequoyah, McMinn Central that dont field teams anymore and then you have those teams that only have 1, 2, 3, to 6 or 7 wrestlers. I am copying the list from tssaa here. Please post which schools that have no active wrestling team or teams with less than half of a line-up. The reason I wonder is we seem to be making major changes that really don't seem to be warranted. Just my opinion.

A-AA Dual Meet Wrestling

Region: 1

Chuckey-Doak (Afton)

Elizabethton

Greeneville

Hancock County (Sneedville)

Happy Valley (Elizabethton)

South Greene (Greeneville)

Sullivan East (Bluff City)

West Greene (Mosheim)

Region: 2

Austin-East (Knoxville)

CAK (Knoxville)

Gibbs (Corryton)

Knoxville Fulton (Knoxville)

Knoxville Grace (Knoxville)

Pigeon Forge

Union County (Maynardville)

Region: 3

Alcoa

Greenback

Kingston

Livingston Academy (Livingston)

McMinn Central (Englewood)

Sequoyah (Madisonville)

Stone Memorial (Crossville)

Region: 4

Boyd Buchanan (Chattanooga)

Brainerd (Chattanooga)

Chattanooga Central (Harrison)

East Hamilton (Apison)

East Ridge (Chattanooga)

Notre Dame (Chattanooga)

Silverdale (Chattanooga)

Tyner (Chattanooga)

Region: 5

Chattanooga Christian (Chattanooga)

Hixson

Howard (Chattanooga)

Lookout Valley (Chattanooga)

Red Bank (Chattanooga)

Sale Creek

Sequatchie County (Dunlap)

Signal Mountain

Whitwell

Region: 6

Cheatham County (Ashland City)

East Robertson (Cross Plains)

Friendship Christian (Lebanon)

Greenbrier

Sycamore (Pleasant View)

Upperman (Baxter)

White House

Region: 7

Clarksville Academy (Clarksville)

Creek Wood (Charlotte)

Eagleville

Fairview

Forrest (Chapel Hill)

Harpeth (Kingston Springs)

Kingsbury (Memphis)

Marshall County (Lewisburg)

Memphis North Side (Memphis)

Montgomery Central (Cunningham)

Page (Franklin)

Raleigh Egypt (Memphis)

Summit (Spring Hill)

Region: 8

David Lipscomb (Nashville)

East Literature (Nashville)

Hume-Fogg (Nashville)

LEAD Aca. (Nashville)

Maplewood (Nashville)

MLK (Nashville)

Nashville Christian (Nashville)

Pearl Cohn (Nashville)

Stratford (Nashville)

TSB (Nashville)

Whites Creek

dii tournament is not that tough? Why is it not that tough? because there arent as many cream puffs? Have you looked at the lineups and compared weight classes between the two divisions? Not even close this year.

as a matter of fact the depth was actually much tougher for dIi in some weights. There was only one weight where i had DI as the clear cut favorite and even that weight wasnt a given. If there was a dual meet between the two it would have been very lopsided. DIi would win by 30+ pts this year.

106- 1) division II, 2) Div I, 3) Div I, 4) Toss up, 5) Div II , 6) Div II

113- 1&2) toss up, 3-6 Div II

120) 1&2) toss up, 3) div II, 3) Div I, 3-6 div II

126) 1) div II, 2) div II, 3) div 1, 4)div I 5) div I, 6) div I

132 1) Div I, 2-6 Div II

138 1) div II, 2) div II, 3) div I, 4-6 Div II

145 1) Div II, 2) div I, 3) Div I, 4) div II 5&6) div I

152 1) Div II, 2) div II, 3-6) toss up

160)1) div II, 2) div II, 3) div II, 4-6) div I

170)1) div II, 2) div I, 3) div II, 4) div I, 5) div II, 6) div II

182) 1) div II. 2) div I, 3) div I, 4) div I, 5) div II, 6) div I

195) 1-2) toss up, 3) div II, 4-6) div I

220) 1)div II, 2) div I, 3) div I, 4) div I, 5) divII, 6) div I

Hwt) 1&2) toss up 3-6 dont know

Let me clarify: The top two/three (sometimes more)kids in DII are among the best and often are the best kids in the state, but the tournament as a whole is not that tough. Kids with loosing records go without having to qualify? My point was that after the DI DII split, neither tournament was as tough, but it didn't seem to hurt the quality of wrestlers in the state.