Would you support a return to 5 classes in football

Indian

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a return to 5 classes in football

• Yes
    • No

It seems the TSSAA will at least discuss a move back to 5 classes in football, a change from the current 3 class/6 playoff class alignment that has caused a lot of confusion since it was put into place. Advantages would be having a good idea of who the playoff opponent would be, up to several weeks in advance; and having a simplified playoff format-top 4 teams play the top 4 from the next region over. Disadvantages would be more travel in region games for many teams-a reason why the change was made in the first place, possibly having fewer games with old rivals as some regions might have 8 or 9 teams due to going from 16 districts to 8 regions per class, and not having the same region/district opponents as in other sports which lessens rivalries.

An article I read mentioned they did not get a lot of response to a survey sent out on the topic, and the ones returned were about 50-50 on the idea of a move back. That surprises me after all the troubles with the playoff system. Maybe the likely travel increases were considered more important.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While going back to 5 would be better than the current 6 Division 1 classifications, 5 is still too many. In Tennessee, 4 would be about right, in my opinion.

I'm also for going back to a true public/private championships. Let the non-scholarship privates still play in Division 1 districts in the regular season like they do now, but split them in to a private school division come playoff time. Since they split the districts in 1A/2A, 3A/4A,5A/6A at playoff time now, it shouldn't be difficult to shift the privates in to their own playoff bracket, too.

And let me qualify my statement by saying that I am all for parental choice in education. If one wants to send their children to private schools, then do it if you have the means or can qualify for and arrange financial aid. Not every private skirts the rules, but the reality is that some do. Most in the public schools simply want to compete on a level playing field. By allowing the non-scholly privates to play in a division 1 regular season district it would keep their regular season travel down and help with home gates, and then allow them to compete with like schools in the playoffs.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I too have been an advocate for 4 classes as well. It would have work bach then as well as now. I also don't feel having 8 regions or 16 districts is neccessary anymore. We could have lets say 10 regions with the top 3 going and 2 wildcards. Then group them no matter the region alignments into a quad format for the playoffs. Travel is thus decreased and playoff parity exists.

YES, Go back to 5 and playoffs the way they used to be. Do not give me this travel excuse. Let's see most football teams play 5 home games and 5 away. Basketball is allowed 12-15 away games and most of them travel to who knows where for Thanksgiving and Christmas Tournaments. Baseball/Softball same thing double the amount of away games and many of them are now traveling to tournaments. This is all for the T$$AA to make more money off of the football playoffs and one more class means more $$$$$$ for the greedy T$$AA. Scheduling is now a nightmare for 6A teams in small districts. Oh and in most other sports ALL teams make playoffs so there is more travel for the teams that were at bottom of district. It is not about Travel it is about the T$$AA. The other sports will actually put more miles on a bus during season, they just might not do it for one game. (would be very interesting to see though)

YES, Go back to 5 and playoffs the way they used to be. Do not give me this travel excuse. Let's see most football teams play 5 home games and 5 away. Basketball is allowed 12-15 away games and most of them travel to who knows where for Thanksgiving and Christmas Tournaments. Baseball/Softball same thing double the amount of away games and many of them are now traveling to tournaments. This is all for the T$$AA to make more money off of the football playoffs and one more class means more $$$$$$ for the greedy T$$AA. Scheduling is now a nightmare for 6A teams in small districts. Oh and in most other sports ALL teams make playoffs so there is more travel for the teams that were at bottom of district. It is not about Travel it is about the T$$AA. The other sports will actually put more miles on a bus during season, they just might not do it for one game. (would be very interesting to see though)

Finally!!..I agree with Coachfoozeball!! Rarely are we on the same page, but for once, I agree with him 100%! Travel is not nor has it EVER been a factor in high school football in the state of Tennessee. I have NEVER heard of an instance where a game was postponed or cancelled due to another team deciding that it was just too far to travel...therefore, we just didn't go! It's never happened! There are 6 postseason classificatons for ONE reason...and ONE reason only....more teams participate..and generate more revenue!

I much prefer the six classification system. The old region framework was flawed too, probably more so than the current system. I like the chance to see teams from far away play each other very early in the playoffs. In the old system, in the first round the 4A and 5A teams from the tri-cities played a Morristown team, and the Knoxville area (that'll bring out some haters) teams played a team down the I-75 corridor, year in a year out -- always the same. The current system is much more vibrant. Don't be such sticks in the mud!

Edited by Moronicus

Although I'm not thrilled with 6 classes, I actually prefer the current system to the 5 class system. I was not crazy at all about the top 4 vs. top 4 playoff format under the old system. I prefer the quadrants, and I also prefer the current regular season district setup.

HOWEVER, I also believe that the system is watered down, and I would have no problem if they lowered the number of classes. But they should NOT go back to 5 (that system was watered down too), they should go to 4...If they really want to improve the quality of the post season (I believe the state is too big for only 3, but is not big enough for 5 or 6). Too many 5-5 and 4-6 teams getting into the playoffs right now, and it was no better under the 5 class format. I remember us playing against a 2-8 Raleigh-Egypt team in the first round of the playoffs back in '06 or '07. Making the playoffs should be an accomplishment in an of itself, and it just doesn't feel like that anymore.

Either keep the current system, or go to 4 classes with 10 or 12 districts in each class. Keep the quadrant format for the post season. And the only way you should be "locked" into a playoff berth should be a district title. After that, the remaining playoff spots should be filled and seeded based on record, with strength of schedule being the primary tie-breaker.

With all this said, I highly doubt they downsize in any capacity. Too much money flowing in with 6 classes.

Edited by RedSwarm10

Ditto! It would be easy from this point. Just don't split the districts for the playoffs.

Hey BurroBall I don't want to get off the subject and did not want to start a new thread but what is the word around Hillsboro? I know that Will Co was on spring break this week so I am sure that the new coaches spent a lot of time around Hillsboro this week. What is the word? When is spring practice for the boros?