Problems with the TSSAA and what to fix

HSbaseballguru

I don't think it will change anytime in the near future. Its not exactly even competition when School A has twice as many students as School B, and they compete in the same district which is the case right now in some districts. I would like to see it be broken down into four public school divisions and two private school divisions. I think it would be best if you broke it down into increments of 500.

A - 0-500

AA 501 - 1000

AAA 1001 - 1500

AAAA 1500 +

Furthermore, there would be no privates playing against any publics in the post-season. If you pay a penny to go to school, then you play in the private division. It's as simple as that IMO. Cut the number of private schools in half and go from there.

Some really good ideas have been thrown around here on this thread.... but like i said i don't think the T$$AA cares enough to change anything.

I love the way you have the classes broken down. I posted the exact same thing over on the football boards a while back, including those same numbers. All of the major sports could thrive in a 4-class system. Baseball needs another class, basketball needs another class, and football has too many classes. I think the TSSAA should really look into it.

As "Greatwhite" has reiterated Swanson, the point I'm trying to make is with a best if three series throughout the final few rounds those schools with just 1 stud pitcher would be exposed as such and probably eliminated in games 2 & 3 of a series. Teams that can hit, play defense, and have pitching depth would usually win. Not to mention these "stud" pitchers would be less exposed to overworking in May. Try picturing Strausburg's Nationals going against the Yankees in a series. He might be good enough to win one game but the rest of the staff might get exposed. Probably why MLB favors the series format.

School Size is relative since we already have multiple classes. The idea is to find the "best team"and crown them

Champions. As it stands now I'm not sure this is the case. Just my opinion.

I understand what the discussion is about, but like I said a lot of the smaller schools have a hard time competing with teams like FCS outside their one big arm. On some years i've seen teams like Monterey, Trousdale, etc who could compete with FCS with their ace on the mound, and when they got to that #2 they would get run ruled. And like I said it isn't that they don't try to develop more pitching, but sometimes we just aren't able too because the athletes just aren't there. But that is my opinion on it, some people will feel one way and others will feel one way, but at the end of the day it is all on what TSSAA decides to do.

They should all so have zoning for every school. It's really not fair to other schools when you can live 1-2 hours away and commute in at no problem. I know Believe in Knoxville and Memphis areas you can pretty much go to whatever school you want. Someone may want to clarify this. Farragut has a wonderful program and not taking anything from them, but it is pretty easy to be good when you get kids that live 45 minutes from the school and can go there. In other parts of TN this cannot happen

They should all so have zoning for every school. It's really not fair to other schools when you can live 1-2 hours away and commute in at no problem. I know Believe in Knoxville and Memphis areas you can pretty much go to whatever school you want. Someone may want to clarify this. Farragut has a wonderful program and not taking anything from them, but it is pretty easy to be good when you get kids that live 45 minutes from the school and can go there. In other parts of TN this cannot happen

When I went to Farragut I never knew of someone going there that didn't live in Farragut. Not saying it never happened, or isn't happening. I just never knew about them. I feel like that'd be something people would randomly know. Like, wow you commute 45 minutes? or an hour?

Then again, you can say the same about Maryville and Alcoa in football.

Please don't give Alabama credit for having a plan we need. And that seems like alot of teams for postseason... how does that compare with TN from region to sectional to substate to state. Back to the 2 out of 3 series sets you up for more expense and travel. Add a division (AAAA), break up the privates that pay, finance, or recruit, then extend State tourney 1 day for better crowd and better team with chance to win. That way, some of the little sisters that want to play with the big boys may find out it was better to stay where they were. Seems simple enough without overhauling system, yet way too hard for powers at T$$AA.

My main problem when it comes to baseball is 3 classifications. There is no reason for Tullahoma with just over 1000 students to be in a classification with Arlington and McGavok which have over 2500 students. I also don't think that there should be 6 classes like football. Football got to add another class so Baseball should go to AAAA as it's highest class. It only makes sense and would give many more teams an equal shot to win a title. The other problem I have is the Spring Fling being Tuesday-Friday and not Wednesday-Saturday. Right now teams are forced to make a decision on Tuesday of the tourny. Do I throw my best guy on 3 days rest for the second straight start or do I start my number 2? If I start my number 1 and we get to the championship I may start him on short rest again in that game making it 3 straight times on short rest. There is no reason that each team shouldn't be able to throw their best pitcher on the first day of the tournament on 4 days rest. Stupid. There is also no logical reason to have the Championship games on Friday instead of Saturday. The attendence figures would double if the games were on Saturday. I have heard people make the argument before to members of the TSSAA and they replied "you don't have to throw your best guy on 3 days rest if you don't want to." The TSSAA only cares about getting that tournament over as quickly as possible so they can go home for the summer too and nobody can tell me any different. They don't make a fortune off of it like they do football so it's not important to them. When it goes to be all about the teams competing and not all about the TSSAA then maybe some of this stuff will get fixed. Sorry for the rant but I had to get it off my chest.