East Hamilton Hurricanes 2012

BEAST27

East Hamilton

• Biggest change: With nine starters back on both sides of the ball, the Hurricanes no longer can sneak up on anybody.

• Spring outlook: While several Hamilton County teams are struggling with low numbers because of players involved in other spring sports, the Hurricanes have 70 from the sophomore class through the senior class. With starters such as running back Logan Jackson (6-0, 195), who ran for 1,200-plus yards, quarterback Hunter Moore (6-0, 200) and offensive tackle Fielder Dennis (6-3, 260) returning, expectations are soaring. Defensively, end Francisco Rodriguez (6-1, 240), linebacker Austin Gatewood (6-1, 210) and cornerback Cody Knox (5-11, 180) lead another experienced group.

“We’ll use the spring to figure out who can give us depth,†coach Ted Gatewood said. “The kids know they will have to be ready every Friday night, because every team we play will be coming after us after we had a pretty good season last year. We have to learn to finish better than we did several games last year. That’s our next step.â€

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Canes will go all the way this year, they only lost 3 seniors that played last year. With a strong offense, including a talented QB in Moore and the RB Jackson who ran for more than 1200 ids last year and the defensive unit with Rodriquez, Warren and Gatewood returning, they will take their region and go deep into the playoffs this year.

Heard that East Hamilton players, Jacob Noorbergen and Logan Jackson both ran 4.4sec 40 yd dash @ the UTC camp last Saturday.

I'm sure these boys are fast, but since there were only ten players in the 2012 NFL Combine who ran a 4.40 or better, I doubt these times are accurate. I do hope you guys can finally put a team together. Guess we'll find out Week O.:hungry:

Actually it was 4.52 and 4.53. We will do our best to field a team that equals the force that is “Signal Mountainâ€.

Maybe you can help me understand something. How are yall able to field great football teams in high school, but the middle school program not so much? OK I say it there not very good.

Is it a valley connection or North Ga.

I'm sure these boys are fast, but since there were only ten players in the 2012 NFL Combine who ran a 4.40 or better, I doubt these times are accurate. I do hope you guys can finally put a team together. Guess we'll find out Week O.:hungry:

Actually it was 4.52 and 4.53. We will do our best to field a team that equals the force that is “Signal Mountainâ€.

Maybe you can help me understand something. How are yall able to field great football teams in high school, but the middle school program not so much? OK I say it there not very good.

Is it a valley connection or North Ga.

I honestly have not kept up with the Middle School, but I believe you are right that the team has not been very competitive in the past. This will be changing going forward, and I think a lot of that has to do with coaching. I have heard that next year's Middle School team will be more competitive, but their primary focus will still be on developing sound fundimental technique, strength, and conditioning. This will best prepare them to play at the varsity level. We have actually had several of the better eighth graders play varsity the last several years, which hurts the Middle School program. However, we believe that is the purpose of a Middle School program. To develop a kid's skills and prepare them for varsity competition.

As with your school, last year's senior class were freshmen when the school opened. Going forward, every player will have come through the Middle School program, through the NCLB program, or will have moved to the Mountain.

I know what you're getting at, but you're wrong. Your team has always had great athletes, as has Signal Mountain.

Difference is, some coaches can turn a group of great athletes into a winning team, and some can't. :twisted:

Lot of respect for Signal from our camp over here in the East. Actually we pull for you to do well. But when we kick it off against you its all war.

There is no question that Signal has one of the best if not the best head coach in the State. I also feel Gatewood is there with him, both schools should feel lucky to have them. I just hope that yours does not leave. He does have a track record of not staying very long. I truly think Soddy will be looking come next December. We will be moving up in classification would rather he stay in 4A.

East Ham’s Jr class is one of the best in the area; they have been together since 6th grade, there only loss was a title game against Tyner in 8th grade, the game should have not been close, they just laid an egg, 2 point conversion was the difference. There are 4 D1 players in that class. Herndon, Gatewood, Griffith, and Lenoir.

I honestly have not kept up with the Middle School, but I believe you are right that the team has not been very competitive in the past. This will be changing going forward, and I think a lot of that has to do with coaching. I have heard that next year's Middle School team will be more competitive, but their primary focus will still be on developing sound fundimental technique, strength, and conditioning. This will best prepare them to play at the varsity level. We have actually had several of the better eighth graders play varsity the last several years, which hurts the Middle School program. However, we believe that is the purpose of a Middle School program. To develop a kid's skills and prepare them for varsity competition.

As with your school, last year's senior class were freshmen when the school opened. Going forward, every player will have come through the Middle School program, through the NCLB program, or will have moved to the Mountain.

I know what you're getting at, but you're wrong. Your team has always had great athletes, as has Signal Mountain.

Difference is, some coaches can turn a group of great athletes into a winning team, and some can't. :twisted:

Lot of respect for Signal from our camp over here in the East. Actually we pull for you to do well. But when we kick it off against you its all war.

There is no question that Signal has one of the best if not the best head coach in the State. I also feel Gatewood is there with him, both schools should feel lucky to have them. I just hope that yours does not leave. He does have a track record of not staying very long. I truly think Soddy will be looking come next December. We will be moving up in classification would rather he stay in 4A.

East Ham’s Jr class is one of the best in the area; they have been together since 6th grade, there only loss was a title game against Tyner in 8th grade, the game should have not been close, they just laid an egg, 2 point conversion was the difference. There are 4 D1 players in that class. Herndon, Gatewood, Griffith, and Lenoir.

Same here, but it sure is fun to poke at people on these boards.:roflolk:

Don't know Gatewood, but everbody says he is a good coach. I just never could understand why it has taken yall so long to get good when you have had lots of talent.

I think Price is happy on Signal and will stay awhile. However, I know he is nearing the point where he could take retirement from the state/county/whatever and still go coach someplace else. (ie. private school or Georgia) A man's got to do what is best for himself and family financially, so I expect at some point he will leave us. Will hate to see that day come, however.:cry:

I'm really looking forward to Week O, though. Your fellers better be strapped up tight and ready for an arse whoopin'.:hungry:

Edited by MountainTroll

I'm really looking forward to Week O, though. Your fellers better be strapped up tight and ready for an arse whoopin'.:hungry:

I don't think Signal will fare that well this year against this team. They are now where Signal was 2 years ago, with all there talent just not getting to the top. Y'all have basically played the EH JV team the past 2 years. This year will be where equal talent will play, you will have a game on your hands. I pick EH by 12.

I don't think Signal will fare that well this year against this team. They are now where Signal was 2 years ago, with all there talent just not getting to the top. Y'all have basically played the EH JV team the past 2 years. This year will be where equal talent will play, you will have a game on your hands. I pick EH by 12.

If we wuz playin yer JV the past two years, where wuz the varsity team?:rolleyes:

Our first 2 games are against you and Ooltewah, we will find out real quick how good we are. But on the other hand your first 2 are against us and Tyner. Don't over look the Ram train, they are much improved this year, your good but you have no one at Signal that can match there speed. Don't start 0-2!

Same here, but it sure is fun to poke at people on these boards.:roflolk:

Don't know Gatewood, but everbody says he is a good coach. I just never could understand why it has taken yall so long to get good when you have had lots of talent.

I think Price is happy on Signal and will stay awhile. However, I know he is nearing the point where he could take retirement from the state/county/whatever and still go coach someplace else. (ie. private school or Georgia) A man's got to do what is best for himself and family financially, so I expect at some point he will leave us. Will hate to see that day come, however.:cry: