Winning at an ARMS expense

spillthebeans

I have yet to understand how some of these kids parents let them throw 120 pitches on a Thursday comeback on a Saturday for 100 and do it again on a Tuesday for 100+. Are these coaches and parents stupid, or do they not care about the young mans possible future? Any feedback from anyone?

The only feedback I can give you based on what you wrote is that the said kids parents and coaches are stupid if the scenario you described is accurate and the young man has an opportunity to continue his career past this season. While I wouldn't intentionally want to hurt my kid, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this apparent abuse if in fact it was the last week or two of my son's career because he was a graduating senior and finished with his competitive baseball career upon completion of the season. This would be strictly for getting in or competing in the playoffs, and what you have proposed doesn't seem to be the case.

I would add that I haven't seen this at the high school level over the last 8 years. Most teams are playing three games a week that occure in the 5 day school week leading up to the weekend. The limit on the number of games that teams can play would seem to minimize this type of abuse from occurring unless you are telling me that the same kid is pitching all three district/region games during a week of competition. Again, if this is the case, I have not seen it or heard it happening in high school, at least not in Middle TN from programs that are thriving and competitive.

Edited by repo

I think the scenario described is a direct result of the post season system that the TSSAA has in place. If you've only got one horse you can ride, that's what some naive or selfish coach would do. That's the only explanation. There's no days rest, pitch counts or innings pitched per week criteria that would prevent a coach from doing that.

The thing for the governing body to do is to establish parameters for how many pitches and how much rest between outings for high school pitchers. Then they've got to enforce it through the umpire associations.

Second, a post season format that makes sense and doesn't reward one horse teams needs to be implemented. That could be pool play, best of 3 or anything that forces a team to set up some sort of rotation, even if it's just 3. If you keep pitch counts low and days rest high during the regular season, you can relax those numbers somewhat for post season schedules.

The only feedback I can give you based on what you wrote is that the said kids parents and coaches are stupid if the scenario you described is accurate and the young man has an opportunity to continue his career past this season. While I wouldn't intentionally want to hurt my kid, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this apparent abuse if in fact it was the last week or two of my son's career because he was a graduating senior and finished with his competitive baseball career upon completion of the season. This would be strictly for getting in or competing in the playoffs, and what you have proposed doesn't seem to be the case.

I would add that I haven't seen this at the high school level over the last 8 years. Most teams are playing three games a week that occure in the 5 day school week leading up to the weekend. The limit on the number of games that teams can play would seem to minimize this type of abuse from occurring unless you are telling me that the same kid is pitching all three district/region games during a week of competition. Again, if this is the case, I have not seen it or heard it happening in high school, at least not in Middle TN from programs that are thriving and competitive.

This happened with Pfeifer at Farragut the last few years of his career. Wasn't the coaches call either. Cost him a big paycheck in the draft. Still, he's having a solid year at Vanderbilt.

I think the scenario described is a direct result of the post season system that the TSSAA has in place. If you've only got one horse you can ride, that's what some naive or selfish coach would do. That's the only explanation. There's no days rest, pitch counts or innings pitched per week criteria that would prevent a coach from doing that.

The thing for the governing body to do is to establish parameters for how many pitches and how much rest between outings for high school pitchers. Then they've got to enforce it through the umpire associations.

Second, a post season format that makes sense and doesn't reward one horse teams needs to be implemented. That could be pool play, best of 3 or anything that forces a team to set up some sort of rotation, even if it's just 3. If you keep pitch counts low and days rest high during the regular season, you can relax those numbers somewhat for post season schedules.

There are limitations, although weak:

No player may pitch more than 10 innings on consecutive days. After one day’s rest, a pitcher may again pitch as many as 10 innings on consecutive days. If a player pitched at all in any inning, the inning shall count as one full inning pitched. If a player is pitching in a game that is tied at the end of regulation play, he may finish such tie game regardless of the number of innings, provided he did not pitch the previous day or in the first game of a double-header on the same day. If a game is called due to weather or any other reason, innings pitched by any player in such game shall count against the pitcher. THIS RULE SHALL APPLY IN REGULAR-SEASON PLAY AND IN ALL TOURNAMENTS

Chuckey Doak just learned this the hard way. Last night they defeated South Greene to elimate them from the district tournament and then was forced to forfeit because their pitcher exceeded 10 innings on Monday and Tuesday.

Edited by GrGriZZ

There are limitations, although weak:

No player may pitch more than 10 innings on consecutive days. After one day’s rest, a pitcher may again pitch as many as 10 innings on consecutive days. If a player pitched at all in any inning, the inning shall count as one full inning pitched. If a player is pitching in a game that is tied at the end of regulation play, he may finish such tie game regardless of the number of innings, provided he did not pitch the previous day or in the first game of a double-header on the same day. If a game is called due to weather or any other reason, innings pitched by any player in such game shall count against the pitcher. THIS RULE SHALL APPLY IN REGULAR-SEASON PLAY AND IN ALL TOURNAMENTS

Chuckey Doak just learned this the hard way. Last night they defeated South Greene to elimate them from the district tournament and then was forced to forfeit because their pitcher exceeded 10 innings on Monday and Tuesday.

Sad that some coaches would have such a low level of character, integrity, and moral fiber. Kudos to T$SAA for having any kind of limtations. If they were really about the $$, why wouldn't you end post-season on a Sat.?

Edited by haebvols