Did Everett HS in Maryville....

SweetScience

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the last Everett vs Maryville football game in 1976. My brothers played for Maryville then. Maryville won 21-10. What I remember the most from that game is the fight. One of their players started a fight with Danny Spradlin. Spradlin was beating the crap out of that guy. Another Everett guy jumped Spradlin from behind. What is funny is the guy who jumped Spradlin from behind had a son who played for Maryville last year.

Everett was known more for basketball. Kenny Teffeteller was a gunner who played for the Vols in the late 70s.

I played for Everett in that game. I don't remember Spradlin being involved but I remember it started after Maryville scored their first touchdown to make it a 10-7 game. One of our linebackers , Robby Nease if my memory serves me correctly , did something not so nice to Ricky Loope in a pile during the play. Loope kicked Nease and as usual the retaliator got busted and was ejected from the game. We had taken a 10-0 lead on 1 yard touchdown by yours truly. It turned out to be the historical last touchdown for Everett in the series. I remember the game very well. We played it on a Saturday night at Buddy Williams Field because we had torrential rains on Thursday and Friday that week and the field was a swamp. But a cold front moved through and Saturday was perfect football weather. The talk around town was that the rescheduling caused Danny to have to cancel recruiting trips. Those were the days.....

RR.....Tha ain't nuthin' like good rasslin'.....Did enny ov tham Bulldawg rasslurs evur maik hit intwo that bigtime???...Ewe nose like tha undercard ovur at tha old Amory fer maybee Barecat Brown, Leapin Lanny, Corseeca Jo, Crybaybee Cannon and tha Fabylus Kangroos, Less and Whitey,.....orr last butt certunlee knott leest... Tha King ov Kingport and lil bruvver Donnie????????????.............. popcorneater.gif

Stars , I watched ole Ron Fuller whup up on the Mongolian Stomper at the old Armory.

This is going way back, but Everett beat Maryille and Alcoa in '39, '40, '41 & '42. 1941 team went undefeated and was ranked 2nd in the state behind old Knoxville HS. An attempt to schedule the two teams for a "championship" game was unsuccessful, as Knoxville HS chose to go to Florida and play in a bowl game there. This info is from my father who played at Everett during this time.