District 8AA top dogs this year

ballzqueen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the top dogs, Livingston Academy, Cannon Co, and Upperman should keep the top three spots in District this year. Central Magnet will be much improved with a full Varsity season under their belt and much deeper on the bench this year with an infusion of several talented freshmen that should help in the second half game. Central has only one Sr., Ashley Brewer, and one Jr., Mac White, Sophmore post Ola Obie, and three talented sophmore guards. Last year, Central Magnet had five players that rarely left the floor and two subs on the bench. The starting five showed that they could and did compete with most (not all) teams in the first half and then ran out of gas somewhere in the 2nd. Also, Coach Willey has a full year with the team now and a chance to fully implement his offensive and defensive stratigies. Last year Brewer was one of the top three rebounders in regular season in Rutherford County stat wise, and consistantly contributed points, mostly at the Free Throw line. This year Central needs to get Brewer opened up on the Offense side of the ball early where she is capable of taking over a game...thats to say as long as she can stay out of early foul trouble.

The games are yet to be played. Lots of things can change between now and then.

True, but only injuries would seem to change this part. Maybe if Upperman can find role playing guards around Carter they will be in the top 2, but as for that, unless you know something I don't, it isn't changing. Cannon returns 90% of its scoring, Livingston returns a great guard with a ton of juniors, and Upperman has Carter and crew. Only change would be if Choate can step up at York and if Central uses the experience from last year and rises to the occasion.

True, but only injuries would seem to change this part. Maybe if Upperman can find role playing guards around Carter they will be in the top 2, but as for that, unless you know something I don't, it isn't changing. Cannon returns 90% of its scoring, Livingston returns a great guard with a ton of juniors, and Upperman has Carter and crew. Only change would be if Choate can step up at York and if Central uses the experience from last year and rises to the occasion.

We shall see as time goes by.

• 5 months later...

At this point it looks like the battle for number 1 will be between Cannon and Livingston. Cannon has beaten York and Central Magnet by 20+, Dekalb by 30+, and Upperman by 5 in a low scoring contest and are presently 10-0. Livingston beat York by 7, Dekalb by 2 in OT, Smith Co. by 5, and Jackson Co. by 4 and are 11-1.