Knoxville Halls head football coach Kevin Julian resigns

CoachT

Wouldn't shock me to see an interim coach named for this year and then a permanent coach hired after the season.

Lot of respect for Kevin. I won't argue that a change wasn't needed, but I hate to see it shake out this way. He is one of the really good guys in the coaching and teaching profession.

He'll make a good assistant for somebody.

How often do you think events such as these Halls' coaching changes are brought about by unreal; over-the-top; unattainable (or any similar adjective) expectations from over zealous parents?

I've never seen someone take a plow horse to the Kentucky Derby expecting to win. You need a Thoroughbred.

Vast majority of high school teams are not state championship caliber -- only a very select few each year. Not necessarily the same teams each year either. For most schools it is "Once in a Blue Moon". Especially with schools and school districts that do not have an "open door policy" on transfers.

Coaching supplements figure out to be less than one dollar per hour in Knox County. All coaches I've known begin their career with great excitement and joy. About all I've known are decent, hard working folks that do more for young people than ever shows up on a Friday night. Idealism ---- You betcha. The shame is that the few of the fans & parents that won't go for that as well.

Competing is great. "Just win, baby - just win" is not.

• Upvote 1

:roflol:

How often do you think events such as these Halls' coaching changes are brought about by unreal; over-the-top; unattainable (or any similar adjective) expectations from over zealous parents?

I've never seen someone take a plow horse to the Kentucky Derby expecting to win. You need a Thoroughbred.

Vast majority of high school teams are not state championship caliber -- only a very select few each year. Not necessarily the same teams each year either. For most schools it is "Once in a Blue Moon". Especially with schools and school districts that do not have an "open door policy" on transfers.

Coaching supplements figure out to be less than one dollar per hour in Knox County. All coaches I've known begin their career with great excitement and joy. About all I've known are decent, hard working folks that do more for young people than ever shows up on a Friday night. Idealism ---- You betcha. The shame is that the few of the fans & parents that won't go for that as well.

Competing is great. "Just win, baby - just win" is not.

:roflol: Edited by weaklink

With Julian staying at the school as a PE teacher, how will they be able to bring in a new coach? A lot of coaches are certified in PE & that spot is occupied by Julian. I talked with a young head coach that said he is looking into the position, but he only saw a special ed. position available at Halls HS on the Knox county schools website. He has PE certification so it looks like he won't even have a chance at getting into the building.

Will Halls conduct a true search or do they already have their guy in mind? If searching, can they open a spot up to bring someone in?

I have a son on the team. This is not about "just win baby." This is about the long term viability of this program. There will be 22 seniors on this years team. There will be 10 juniors. There will be about 13 sophomores. In a school this size, these numbers are not going to get it done. I will not go into internal issues except to say that there has been no blatant wrongdoing on the part of Coach Julian. It is just a basic fact that, when a program is going in the direction of this one, a change has to be made.

I do not dislike the coach. He just isn't getting it done and it is time to make a change. I personally think that this should have been done after the 0-10 season the year before last. Last season just confirmed my opinion.

Oh and one more thing. I do know that last week an upcoming junior went in to the workout and wanted to join the team and the coach was not receptive to the idea. The kid had played when he was younger but hadn't played in 2 years. When your team is in the shape of this one, you put the pads on anybody who wants to play and say, "show me what you got." His reluctance to bring in a new player, when you only have about 45 varsity and JV players,even if he will be a junior, is ridiculous.

This post should be entered as Exhibit A in the case, "Why Parents Are Not Coaches." Or this post could be used as evidence in the case, "How Parents Drive Coaches Crazy."

Oh and one more thing. I do know that last week an upcoming junior went in to the workout and wanted to join the team and the coach was not receptive to the idea. The kid had played when he was younger but hadn't played in 2 years. When your team is in the shape of this one, you put the pads on anybody who wants to play and say, "show me what you got." His reluctance to bring in a new player, when you only have about 45 varsity and JV players,even if he will be a junior, is ridiculous.