william blount football 2012

Governm

Sevier County has 22 seniors this year. They have a lot of skill players. Deep at WR and RB.. new QB ....Defense should do well also... We'll see....never know with potential for injuries or see how chemistry is....looking forward to Football friday nights...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think thats the wrong attitude to have, our boys need to be of the mentality that they can beat everybody if they work hard. we have some starters back along with players from jv last year, our jv team was good, so i dont see any reason why we cant win this year. GO GOVS!!

I understand your point, but I have sat and watched too many games at alnwick where the other team was up 14 to 28 points late in the 4th and the sr qb was still playing - for example - or the backup was a sr and he got some time. Meanwhile the top guys in your district are playing their sophs in the same situations. The whole keeps getting bigger.

I understand your point, but I have sat and watched too many games at alnwick where the other team was up 14 to 28 points late in the 4th and the sr qb was still playing - for example - or the backup was a sr and he got some time. Meanwhile the top guys in your district are playing their sophs in the same situations. The whole keeps getting bigger.

i see your point i guess, but only if the game is out of reach, i wouldnt consider 14 points out of reach, you can score 14 points in a hurry. but anyway what bothers me is how people are negative already and saying its gonna be a bad year, yea we dont have many seniors, but that dont mean a whole lot, a sophomore can be just as talented if not more talented then a senior. we have an experienced qb and a few big time threats at wide receiver, also our jv team was good, and some of those players will surely make a difference on varsity as well. i'm not saying we are gonna be a great team or anything, but i just dont see any reason why we cant be a competive team this year.alot of that will depend on coaching though, and i hate to say it but i dont have a lot of faith in the coaching staff we have now, but i hope they prove me wrong.

Good Luck Govs. against the Bears. SC WR should be better with so many returning. The issue is a new QB back there. From my understanding there is 3 who could possibly start there. But I am very excited about the game with the Govs always classy fans and very pleasant atmosphere.

G91 - I agree on the sophs being just as good. IMO - A coach should play his best eleven most of the time, regardless of age. Alot of folks believe if two kids are even the older one should play. I am just the opposite - if they are even, play the younger one (unless there are some needed team leadership issues). Don't vent all your anger this year toward the coaching staff. It is my understanding that the administration has not done everything possible to help the head coach fill his staff as well as he would like. So save a little anger for the admin folks. Good luck to the govs.

i see your point i guess, but only if the game is out of reach, i wouldnt consider 14 points out of reach, you can score 14 points in a hurry. but anyway what bothers me is how people are negative already and saying its gonna be a bad year, yea we dont have many seniors, but that dont mean a whole lot, a sophomore can be just as talented if not more talented then a senior. we have an experienced qb and a few big time threats at wide receiver, also our jv team was good, and some of those players will surely make a difference on varsity as well. i'm not saying we are gonna be a great team or anything, but i just dont see any reason why we cant be a competive team this year.alot of that will depend on coaching though, and i hate to say it but i dont have a lot of faith in the coaching staff we have now, but i hope they prove me wrong.

The team should be competitive, there are some good athletes there, some are just inexperienced. Earlier in the post I was critical, but that had nothing to do with on the field coaching, it was purely off the field stuff. The coaches work very hard as far as on the field coaching goes, and I think they are doing fine, they just need a couple of more to help out. The head coach has realized areas that need to be addressed and has made an effort to address those needs with new coaches. However, there has to be positions open in the school to hire new coaches, and WB had to replace coaches in other sports also, so this has meant that the football coach has not been able to hire coaches as he would like. They have some good coaches out there, coach Whitehead is not only a good young coach, he is one of the best men I have ever met.

well i'm not an expert and i dont claim to be, but i just know somethings not right with the program, they've had talent the last few years but continue to lose ballgames. And for what its worth i have talked to some boys who have played for gregory and they say they felt his offensive schemes just didnt work for the type of team they have, they felt if the scheme was different they would have won more games. but i'm not in the locker room so i dont know for sure whats going on, but i do know the administration has cut out pep rallies and school spirit has taken a dive.

The team should be competitive, there are some good athletes there, some are just inexperienced. Earlier in the post I was critical, but that had nothing to do with on the field coaching, it was purely off the field stuff. The coaches work very hard as far as on the field coaching goes, and I think they are doing fine, they just need a couple of more to help out. The head coach has realized areas that need to be addressed and has made an effort to address those needs with new coaches. However, there has to be positions open in the school to hire new coaches, and WB had to replace coaches in other sports also, so this has meant that the football coach has not been able to hire coaches as he would like. They have some good coaches out there, coach Whitehead is not only a good young coach, he is one of the best men I have ever met.

I have posted on this topic before in relation to the stability of the staffs at both Maryville and Alcoa. I think both city schools have great head coaches, but I also credit a lot of their success to the stability they have had at the assistant coaching level. Neither county school seems to have that same stability, but William Blount used to. Now every time I see them play it seems like they have a brand new group of assistants. Sure the administration should share some of the blame, but at a certain point you have to step back and wonder why are all of these assistants leaving? You can't expect a principal at a high school to simply hire two or three football coaches each year to fill teaching positions. This goes back to what was being said at the beginning of this thread. From what I have been told the coach at WB does not play well with others this includes his feeder programs his assistants, parents and players. Of course there are always going to be discontented people but I do believe this is a real issue. I think Heritage had the same problem with the last coach as well.

I have posted on this topic before in relation to the stability of the staffs at both Maryville and Alcoa. I think both city schools have great head coaches, but I also credit a lot of their success to the stability they have had at the assistant coaching level. Neither county school seems to have that same stability, but William Blount used to. Now every time I see them play it seems like they have a brand new group of assistants. Sure the administration should share some of the blame, but at a certain point you have to step back and wonder why are all of these assistants leaving? You can't expect a principal at a high school to simply hire two or three football coaches each year to fill teaching positions. This goes back to what was being said at the beginning of this thread. From what I have been told the coach at WB does not play well with others this includes his feeder programs his assistants, parents and players. Of course there are always going to be discontented people but I do believe this is a real issue. I think Heritage had the same problem with the last coach as well.

If Gregory is doing that he is cutting his own throat.

some of the assistants didn't leave, they were fired. Gregory has made a couple of good moves in getting rid of coaches, one that was mad that he did not get the head job and had become a cancer to the program, another which was a defensive coach that was just plain in "over his head", and another that never needed to be there to begin with. Can you name an assistant other than Jon Young, that has left or been fired and their not being there has hurt the program? Jon left to take an administration role as assistant principal that made it hard for him to be at practice during the school year. They lost one other young coach, Jose Russell, that was a non faculty coach, and from what I understand, his work schedule changed and he could no longer make it to practice. Jose was a good coach, IMO, and I thought Jon Young was going to be the future head coach coach of WB, but other than these two coaches, I can't think of another one that has been let go that didn't need to be gone.

I am not saying that Gregory is the answer, but I do like the fact that he has made efforts to remove the ones that need to be removed and has tried to get others in. He can't help people making career decisions, such as Jon going into administration, or Jose having a work schedule change. The one thing I have said all along is that Gregory's area of coaching expertise is supposed to be defense, but every since he has been there, he has coached the offense. He needs to get an offensive coordinator to run the offense, so he can concentrate on running the defense. I was told he had done this for the upcoming year, I forget where the offensive coach was from that was supposedly hired, or even if it was finalized. I guess we will see in a few weeks.

I don't think you can just keep assistants for the sake of saying our staff has been the same for five years, or six years, or whatever. If the guy can't coach, get rid of him and try to replace him with someone that can.