Basketball Shoe Advice

TwinCityT

Need help in selecting a shoe for my freshman daughter.

She is a guard and average weight.

Her past couple of shoes were Nike (not sure of the model).

She got lots of blisters on front bottom of feet and both big toes had bad ingrown nails.

Thanks in Advance...for advice and suggestions!

New adidas Rose 773s are nice. Heard so many good things and actually seen the Rose shoe in person, it's high quality. Stay away from Under Armour and the off name Nike. We had Nike as our team shoe last year, the Destiny model, and the only problem we encountered is the narrowness of the shoe, which is common with Nike. Just happens.

Blisters can be caused by her feet not fitting into the shoe properly as well as the shoe not fitting her foot. Socks can also be a problem; I remember reading in one of John Wooden's books that he had his Bruins wear 2 pairs and the inside pair was worn inside out to prevent some abrasions. Ingrown nails are not the fault of the shoe, I would think. Mine were so common that I finally just had the nails totally removed from big toes and the nail bed killed. That stopped the problem for me; it did cost almost $500 but insurance covered most of that for me. I wish your daughter the best in her search for the perfect fit.

The ingrown toe-nail thing could be related to her toes hitting the front of the shoe. This is common in runners but this is the first time I have heard of it in basketball. I would say to get a really good shoe fitting not just get whatever the kid at Dick's hands you. Maybe a podiatrist? It's worth the hassle. A happy athlete is going to perform better than an unhappy one. I don't personally care for Nike - my foot is too wide.

tl;dr - Probably a fit issue.

The brand of shoe that wears comfortably on my/your foot just may cause problems on your daughters.A good option would be (if you can find one) a competent shoe salesman.Arch height,length vs. width of foot,and even the curvature of the foot all affect proper fit,and a good salesman will know the traits of different models.Converse,for example wear blisters the size of half dollars on the inside portion of my heels just underneath the ankle and even wear holes in the shoe lining.Plan on spending a little time trying different brands,models,and sizes...and take the advice offered by the salesman only after you explain the problems experianced by your daughter(otherwise he/she could just push her toward the most expensive shoe).After you find a shoe that fits her foot well if the problem still exists,a podiatrist would then be the next logical option.Sorry to be so in depth with a reply,but my own experiances give me a little insight on the importance of the right fit.Good luck,and you know the old saying,if the shoe fits...

2 daughters

1 always wears Nike not sure of models...no problems.

1 has similar problems that you describe.

She has done Ok with Adidas. Nike too narrow. Nfinity is her favorite but it broke down

fairly quick. Local stores don't have a large selection of woman's shoes, and ordering

a correct fit is always a crap shoot.

Hope to hear from Coach T's son when new shoes comeout !

2 daughters

1 always wears Nike not sure of models...no problems.

1 has similar problems that you describe.

She has done Ok with Adidas. Nike too narrow. Nfinity is her favorite but it broke down

fairly quick. Local stores don't have a large selection of woman's shoes, and ordering

a correct fit is always a crap shoot.

Hope to hear from Coach T's son when new shoes comeout !

Let me give some old military advice if the problem persists,invest in some moleskin or-it sounds silly but cover the area proned to blister with duct tape,it will saty on thru sweat and vigorus work,she will get no more blisters.just some cheap advice!