Sumner County?

District12AA

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88 hope you are right, but some of the comments from County Executive Holt do not look to promising.He said the Commission has stated their position and would not "stand" for further funding.Phillips will not start school until it is funded or major teacher cuts are made.The Commission has had all summer to pass this budget but refused.I fear football may suffer for it.

If you were a politician such as Phillips or the commissioners, you are only worried about public opinion because thats how you have your job. Commissioners get elected, Phillips gets appointed by the elected board members. Phillips wants as much public outcry as possible to get the budget raised that he says the school system needs. He knows that football and sports plays on more emotion probably more than cutting the poor minimum wage employees did last year. Therefore more people would be willing to except a tax increase to keep football going. On the other hand the commissioners want to please their constituants in not raising taxes. From the people I have talked to they would like to see administrators and central offices employees take a pay cut at this point. This is just the grapevine talk I have heard. Most feel that someone making 6 figures here in Sumner co. could afford to be cut easier than someone making $27000-$45000 such as the teachers. You could cut someone making $160000 down to $130000 and they would still have enough to easily live off of here in Sumner Co.

Edited by Mr. Postman1

What will happen if the school board does not reach a budget agreement by next Friday in time for week 0? I put this in the 5a/6a forum because there are some quality teams that may not get to play.

What will happen if the school board does not reach a budget agreement by next Friday in time for week 0? I put this in the 5a/6a forum because there are some quality teams that may not get to play.

i heard that the County commission just voted against the proposed school boards budget.

Have there been any new developments? What rumors are circulating? Surely some progress is being made. I, for one, would rather have a loss( which seems likely based on the reports of Beech's prowess) than a forfeit victory.

I believe the forfeit would not go down as a victory. It would a loss to Beech but not a win in the column of HC. It will get worked out anyway.

GO BIG RED

Have there been any new developments? What rumors are circulating? Surely some progress is being made. I, for one, would rather have a loss( which seems likely based on the reports of Beech's prowess) than a forfeit victory.

GO BIG RED

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120814/NEWS/120814010/Sumner-County-school-board-meets-consider-commission-s-latest-offer?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

School Board meets at 6pm tonight to consider County Commission's $800,000 offer. If the board accepts this does anyone know when classes would start? This week?