Maplewood Panthers 2012

boski

Maplewood's passing game has not been as good as I saw last Friday versus Whites Creek since the days of Phellepe Hall under center. Early passes were a bit off. But the qb was very effective for much of the rest of the game. I was especially impressed at the way he (qb) recovered from at least three busted pass plays to make completions. Two busted plays were low-snaps with one resulting in a touchdown on the last play of the first half. The receivers were often wide open. But I suspect this was more to do with a poor defense by Whites Creek than stellar route running by Maplewood. Riverdale, and better defenses, is likely to stall the passing game a bit better.

I found the running game to be a servicable. There may not be the breakaway runner that the Panthers have enjoyed for the past several seasons, but it can effective given the step up in the passing game. It seems to me that the HC for Maplewood was trying to emphasize the pass over the run as part of the game plan. All and al,l the offesene was more balanced than it has been in many years.

The Panthers seemed solid on defense both in the air and on the ground. They still are suscepticle to being pouned up the middle due to their lack of size, though.

I don't see Maplewood beating Riverdale. But if they can make it relatively respectable (score an offensive TD and limit the Warrios to three TD's) then they will have likley have done as well as can be expected.

this team coach is horrible seriously all those weapons and dont use them you got 40 somethin players lol but you put everybody in to run the ball no pass game thats why you all are getting blewout every game smh play callin is so predictable when watchin maplewood

First off, I don't won't to come across as some grammar police (I'm not perfect in that regard) but punctuations would make your post a much easier read to follow.

Secondly, so far this season Maplewood has only been blown out by BA and Riverdale. Many schools would feel the same effects when playing either of those two teams. I think that you will find over the past few years that Maplewood has only been blown out by legitimate state title contender. That may not be much to hang one's hat on. But there it is. The Panthers usually win the games they should win but rarely come up with the upset. That's my knock on the program.

That point brings me to coaching. Coaching could be better, especially in terms of sound, discipline play on the field; too many penalties and turnovers. Upsets could possible be had with more focused playing. The passing game this season, while not great, is far superior than it has been in several years. The fact that they are passing in situations other than 3rd and long is a big change from the past. I've gone to a variety of high school games in the area over the years and have found that most teams rely on the heavily on the run, just like Maplewood. This is high school ball. Not all QB's have a rocket arm and pinpoint accuracy at this level. So most coaches would rather run the ball than risk an interception. Or, a turnover on downs with no yardage gain, at best.

Me not being a maplewood fan "as you see in my avi" i give credit when do. District play maplewood will be one of the top 3 teams in the district because of there defense. But will they make a deep run in the playoffs...No i dont see it 2nd rd there gone. But Mhs offense cord does not changes his play...Not even in district play..you know what there going to do..

First off, I don't won't to come across as some grammar police (I'm not perfect in that regard) but punctuations would make your post a much easier read to follow.

Secondly, so far this season Maplewood has only been blown out by BA and Riverdale. Many schools would feel the same effects when playing either of those two teams. I think that you will find over the past few years that Maplewood has only been blown out by legitimate state title contender. That may not be much to hang one's hat on. But there it is. The Panthers usually win the games they should win but rarely come up with the upset. That's my knock on the program.

That point brings me to coaching. Coaching could be better, especially in terms of sound, discipline play on the field; too many penalties and turnovers. Upsets could possible be had with more focused playing. The passing game this season, while not great, is far superior than it has been in several years. The fact that they are passing in situations other than 3rd and long is a big change from the past. I've gone to a variety of high school games in the area over the years and have found that most teams rely on the heavily on the run, just like Maplewood. This is high school ball. Not all QB's have a rocket arm and pinpoint accuracy at this level. So most coaches would rather run the ball than risk an interception. Or, a turnover on downs with no yardage gain, at best.

yep ..great post!

This season started out in the same fashion as last season .. which ended up with the Panthers playing for a state title ..yeah they lost.. but they made it there ...something most teams still only dream of.... so keep it up panthers ..its still early ..and you are only going to get better ..once the guys get focused and buy into what they have ...you cant count them out.

Win vs Hunters Lane - 2011 & 2012

Lost vs BA - 2011 & 2012

Win vs Whites Creek - 2011 & 2012

Lost vs Riverdale - 2011 & 2012

Same pattern ..with a chance to improve!

Maplewood wins their games with raw talent (ie. speed). That only carries them so far. Even though it did carry them to the title game last year (2011). Maplewood will never claim the gold ball because their raw talent will only carry them so far. Coaching will determine things when it really counts. I do applaud the players for choosing to be involved in a positive thing such as participating in high school athletics. When Maplewood has to play teams that have disciplined players and good coaching, they can never get over that hurdle and get the W.

Maplewood @ Lispcomb Academy ..should be a pretty good match up.

Maplewood seems to have the Mustangs number ..kinda the district bully!

..could this be the year the mustangs kick that panther off its back? im asking myself...

then i say no ..Maplewood tops LA 35 - 10 to take over first place in the district ...or something like that.

LA may be better prepared this season than previous ..but it will not be enough to contain these panthers.