Gallatin vs. Springfield

Verb58

SHS -Gallatin first played in 1926, with the Jackets winning. When Boyce Smith was at SHS the Jackets dominated the series, in 1968 GHS defeated SHS breaking a very long losing skid against the Jackets. The Wave then defeated the Jackets in 1969,1970 and 1971, the last year Boyce Smith coached at SHS, after 43 years his record was 288-116-34 still one of the records in the state and nation, his record is also prior to the play-off era ,with the exception of his final three seasons, making it even more impressive. The Calvin Short era was dominated by the Wave with the exception of the 1980 and 1981 seasons when the Jackets upset the Wave. SHS was coached by recent TSSAA Hall of Fame inductee Jerry Pearson also a SHS alum. The Jackets have only defeated the wave 3 times since the Boyce Smith era, the other win came in 1975 when Jimbo Pearson was coach, he died of a heart attack in the spring of 1976, he was the younger brother Jerry. Springfield actually leads the series 30-28-2 .

It is really difficult to get records before 1930. I do not doubt your series total and that is impressive that somebody from Springfield has those type of stats. Multiple reasons why 1930 is my starting point. 1st Gallatin became the Green Wave that year under Bright Hunter. He named them because his favorite team was Tulane. 2nd the local paper burned and all records were lost. 3rd the High School burned down and all of their records were lost. 4th the Nashville archives are incomplete when going back that far. So unfortunately, we here in Gallatin have to start in 1930. By chance do you know if Gallatin had a nickname before 1930? When was Springfield given the Yellow Jacket nickname?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From watching the effort of the boys on Friday I see this game close until halftime. Then Green Wave pulls away with a score of 42 - 14 with Springfield scoring in the 4th Quarter. Just see this being a tough year for the Jackets. Hope 102.5 does not mention our coach again on the radio show in a negative manner. Congrats to Greenbrier, and these next 4 games will be big losses in my opinion. After the midway turn the Jackets may win 2 games. Sorry guys, but we are in rebuilding process!

Edited by OldJacketFan

From watching the effort of the boys on Friday I see this game close until halftime. Then Green Wave pulls away with a score of 42 - 14 with Springfield scoring in the 4th Quarter. Just see this being a tough year for the Jackets. Hope 102.5 does not mention our coach again on the radio show in a negative manner. Congrats to Greenbrier, and these next 4 games will be big losses in my opinion. After the midway turn the Jackets may win 2 games. Sorry guys, but we are in rebuilding process!

what did they say for those of us who could not listen?

Coach pulled the QB's helmet off by grabbing the facemask and said some choice words to Michael that was not aloud on the radio. We had already left the game, and did not get to see what actually happened. If someone was there could you share with us what actually happened!

We would not be rebuilding , if it were'nt for someone wanting to go in another direction this spring. As far as rebuilding goes , next year will be even tougher especially after the bridges get burned and the atheletes don't play. History often repeats itself and I think the SHS football family will be devided again , hope I'am wrong , but this thing could fall hard and hit bottom.

We would not be rebuilding , if it were'nt for someone wanting to go in another direction this spring. As far as rebuilding goes , next year will be even tougher especially after the bridges get burned and the atheletes don't play. History often repeats itself and I think the SHS football family will be devided again , hope I'am wrong , but this thing could fall hard and hit bottom.

Leon... enough of the hate. It's obvious you liked the previous coaching staff. They did some good things. It should also be obvious to you that Grimes had no choice and the "different direction" stuff is a cover story. There was something else at play, that we don't know about. Why not give Coach Wilson a chance, he is young and he will learn quickly.

There was nothing else at play Grimes just didnt like the previous head coach and his buddy/cousin (don't know exactly) has wanted the job since Offutt left. It was a personal choice that could cost a group of kids a bright future and a town some pride in a climbing program.

Edited by getarealclue