Goodlettsville LL team

Indian

Not to rain on the parade, because the team and story is great............over half the team does not live in Goodlettsville. When Moss-Wright park went to Little League, anyone that was already "in their park" and their siblings were grandfathered in and could play on the All-Star teams. Other teams that play little league are already under the zoning restriction rules. I'm not going to get into where each of the players go to school, but to answer your question........No.

They should have a good run for the next couple of years, and their 11 year old team is loaded.

Edited by SmokeStackI

I've been involved in youth baseball from Little League to Cal Ripken to travel teams and I know that LL puts a premium on the safety of the kids and playing by the rules. There are waivers that have to be filled out, yada, yada, yada. You have to bring 3 items that prove your residence, a birth certificate and custody rights have to be worked out. That is to say Little League does their due diligence in this regard and it's typically because somebody cheated somewhere down the line. The New York league with the 14 yr old pitcher comes to mind. They also initiated the pitch counts for specific age groups and were active in bringing these hot bats in line. That being said, I wish they'd move the pitchers mound back to 50 and the bases to 70 like Cal Ripken and the travel leagues do. For safety reasons and to forego this 30 foot transition from 12 to 13 years old. Boundary issues are what Cal Ripken and travel ball teams use against Little League and Dixie Youth. It's a little overvalued when either one will let you 'extend' your boundaries into another leagues territory so long as it's not competing against a league within their organization. But there's always a board of directors or someone up higher to answer to.

I give Goodlettsville their due. I can't imagine they are getting players 30-50 miles away to make practices and games. Hats off to them.

I've been involved in youth baseball from Little League to Cal Ripken to travel teams and I know that LL puts a premium on the safety of the kids and playing by the rules. There are waivers that have to be filled out, yada, yada, yada. You have to bring 3 items that prove your residence, a birth certificate and custody rights have to be worked out. That is to say Little League does their due diligence in this regard and it's typically because somebody cheated somewhere down the line. The New York league with the 14 yr old pitcher comes to mind. They also initiated the pitch counts for specific age groups and were active in bringing these hot bats in line. That being said, I wish they'd move the pitchers mound back to 50 and the bases to 70 like Cal Ripken and the travel leagues do. For safety reasons and to forego this 30 foot transition from 12 to 13 years old. Boundary issues are what Cal Ripken and travel ball teams use against Little League and Dixie Youth. It's a little overvalued when either one will let you 'extend' your boundaries into another leagues territory so long as it's not competing against a league within their organization. But there's always a board of directors or someone up higher to answer to.

I give Goodlettsville their due. I can't imagine they are getting players 30-50 miles away to make practices and games. Hats off to them.

The players are not coming from 50 miles away............They are coming from Greenbrier, Whitehouse, Springfield, all within a 20 minute drive of Moss Wright Park. Again, I'm not going into where each goes to school. They were all "grandfathered in" when Goodlettsville went Little League. That was one of the agreements in principal to make the move.

It is still an incredible achievement.

Edited by SmokeStackI

Goodlettsville was given a letter from Dixie Youth to clean IP their boundary issues and release players outside their district that belonged to neighboring Dixie Youth leagues. They did not comply so was ejected from Dixie Youth. The State Director was dismissed over the rule violations he allowed to go on in Goodlettsville. The above statement is true they have pulled the best players away from the other Dixie leagues illegally and continue to allow them to play in Goodlettsville. Little is loosing teams so fast they are desperate to get any communities to join in. LL allowed them to grandfather in these kids. I can assure you Dixie Youth is better without them. The last 2 years have been awesome at the state tournaments with every team having a chance to be a State Champion. Goodlettsville was out of control and ran from discipline. Little League will regret taking on this cancer. Bless the kids they have done nothing wrong and Congratulations for what they achieved.

Goodlettsville won every age group in Dixie Youth from 5-6the 7-8 9-10 & 11-12 and when they had 2 all-star teams the other team usually finnished second place. Then they would win it the next year with a different set of kids. These kids were playing out if district from all the other communities and when caught Goodlettsville ran. ESPN stated they were looking for more competition! Wrong Little League almost didn't take them in fact they almost had no where to go. I always found it funny that they always have the maximum team limit before having another all star team. Example with 6the teams you have 1 all-star team with 7-12 you have 2 all-star teams. Goodlettsville would loose from 12 9-10 year old teams too 6the 11-12 year old teams. How do you loose 50% of your league? Well this would allow them drop to 1 all-star team in 11-12. Rational thinking would have to figure with some normal lose of kids they should retain 8/9 11-12 year old teams. Too convenient in my eyes! We played against Goodlettsville for years in State tournaments and I can assure you they are missed! Like a sore toe!

Are there any Little League boundaries that are being crossed? Little League, Dixie Youth or Cal Ripken will tell you to go and get kids outside of your boundary so long as you aren't crossing another affliated league's boundary. So what happened in Dixie Youth wouldn't affect Little League one way or the other. For instance. Our Little League is in Pegram. We can draw kids from Pleasant View, Ashland City, Bellevue, Coopertown, Joelton and Fairview because none of those leagues are Little League. Likewise, our kids can play Cal Ripken in Bellevue or West Nashville or Dixie Youth in Fairview, Ashland City or Pleasant View if they choose to travel to those leagues. But to play in Dickson County or Montgomery County, there'd have to be a waiver and a good reason.

Little League has lost some leagues in Middle Tennessee, but it is typically to Cal Ripken leagues where the boundary issues are non-existent. Likewise, they lose out to travel teams where coaches can avoid a draft and don't have to answer to a board and every other week there's a different World Series to play in. In the end, your kids are typically going to play in a park with some proximity to where you live or you're going to spend a small fortune following them around for games. The options available are more of an issue for the adults than they are for the kids. I was a LL president and as a family, we made the decision for one son to play travel ball when he turned 13 to play a more competitive schedule, get more games in and just for a change. My youngest at age 12 wanted to play with a group of friends that were getting a team together to play Cal Ripken in a league. We had to pass the Little League in Pegram and the Ripken league in Bellevue to play at WSNL's park. We had a ball.

I would suggest that if every league made a conscious effort to pattern their programs to attract the families and players that have a choice as to where they play, that the affiliation doesn't matter nearly as much as the experience. If the adults would concentrate more on providing a safe and fun program in which to play with equal emphasis on competitiveness and development that there wouldn't be a reason to leave in the first place. I enjoyed watching the team from Goodlettsville play on the big stage. They looked like they were having fun and if their program is able to attract the number of players they are attracting, then maybe we ought to look at what we're doing to attract kids to our programs.

Edited by ksgovols
  • Upvote 1

Take nothing away from the kids or league as this was a very good LL team. I have been told that 80+ kids and their siblings that lived out of zone were grandfathered into the league when they changed from Dixie Youth to LL. It is being reported that the league will be very strong the next two seasons at the 12U division. With all of that being said this years team would be lucky if they were one of the top five 12U teams in Tennessee. They have three or four kids that could play on any team but they are not strong enough from top to bottom to compete with the better travel teams. When the Rasums brothers played for the Phoneix City, AL team several years ago they played the Franklin Ravens and the score was something like 20-1 aver four innings and the Ravens were the 3rd best 12U team in Middle Tennessee.

Edited by cbg